Value Play? What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    We did not play well at LB last year despite the influx of talent we brought it. Whether it was the previous LB coach, Tucker, or that we simply misjudged on every player we brought in (what are the odds?), we did not provide good LB play.

We can only address so many quality positions in the draft. After that, you hope you hit on some lower round and UDFA that no one else saw. Sometimes a person gets himself into a position that they have to take less than they are worth to build themself back up. I think Henderson is in this position and I think he can help us. What thoughts do you guys have on it?

Erin Henderson: I cannot be more grateful for arrests
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 9, 2014, 7:07 AM EDT
    [​IMG] AP
    When Erin Henderson was arrested on DUI charges on January 1, it was his second arrest on the same charges in six weeks and it led to the linebacker’s release from the Vikings.
    It also led him to try to get his life back in order. In a statement given to TMZ, Henderson wrote that he “cannot be more grateful” for the second arrest because it forced him to realize that he was on a path that was causing damage to his family, his career and himself. He was released from jail on January 2 and went directly into rehab at Hazelden, writing that he knew he needed to do something to better his future and that he knew he couldn’t do it alone.
    Henderson says he never imagined “the worst experience in my life would turn out to be the best things that ever happen to me,” but that’s how he feels about the entire episode. In an interview with Tom Pelissero of USA Today, Henderson explained just how much his drinking was affecting his ability to do his job.
    “There would be times where I would come to practice hung over,” Henderson said. “Never just fresh off of drinking coming into practice. But I might have had a rough night the night before, and I’d be in front of the huddle calling plays. And everybody would know that I had been out drinking the night before. Of course, that affects the ability to go out there and perform and be the best that you can be. But I’d been doing it for so long and it’s something that I had gotten used to.”
    Henderson told Pelissero that he’s interested in seeing how he can play now that he’s sober and spoke with certainty about continuing his career. In his statement, though, Henderson said that his sobriety takes precedence at the moment.
    “Football is my god given talent, and that is something that will thrive through triumph. However the most important thing for me right now is maintaining my sobriety,” Henderson wrote. “If I continue down the path I have started on I know I will leave a legacy off the field that my family and I can be proud of for years to come.”
    Whatever happens with his playing career, it’s encouraging to see Henderson addressing a problem that was threatening a lot more than that before he checked into rehab.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    It's worth a shot. I will say that when DJ Williams and Briggs were healthy our linebacker play was better, as it should have been. I gotta be honest...except for 1 or 2 guys theres not a lot that excites me in terms of MLB's in this draft.
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +104 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I was thinking he was older than he is, but he'll be 28 when the season starts. I'd be fine with it if they gave him a shot.
  4. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If his words are genuine, I'd be glad to have him on my team.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Id take him. It would bandaide a need and we could knock down MLB a bit on our list.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +80 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jesus!!! Looking at his arms the guy is a tank....but a will being sober make him a little soft? I don't want to sound like an ass but playing with a substance problem could have made him play angry... Either way like others said above, if his words are genuine why the hell not?
  7. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    This guy could very well come in at vet min on a "prove it deal." We are in a win now situation so the more holes we plug the more flexibility we have come may 8th-10th. Kick the backup mlb can down the road so to speak.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +250 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    This guy may not be a bargain even as a vet minimum. He has baggage.

I checked a couple of Viking fan boards and is was not popular with the fans. Apparently on his first DUI, he was AWOL for a Green Bay game. Over his career he has had a couple of knee issues (ACL and meniscus) as well as a couple of concussions.

But then again if you look at the history of Ratliff and visit a couple of Cowboy fan boards, you'd see the similar picture.

I'm sure that Phil and the boys will put him under the microscope.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,389 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    531ß
    Vet depth or competition and young enough to play three or four more years? Hell yeah, I'd sure bring him in for a test drive.