Vereen a 4th Round Gem..................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jul 12, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Brock Vereen already a Bears draft gem from 4th round

July 11, 2014, 6:30 pm

[​IMG]

The hardest thing for rookie safety Brock Vereen to overcome when he stepped into the huddle with the Bears’ No. 1 defense wasn’t the awe of being in a huddle with Jared Allen, Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman and others. It wasn't even mastering the assignments. It was telling people about it.

“If there’s anything the coaches are hardest on me about, it’s communication,” Vereen said. “That’s a key.” And what exactly do they want to hear from Vereen, particularly since rookies generally should be seen and not heard?

“Anything,” Vereen said, laughing. “The biggest thing they’re drilling into my head is that even if you don’t know what to say, just say something. It’s definitely a difference but if it makes the defense better, that’s what I’ve got to do.

Vereen must be saying mostly correct things, judging from his current billet. To put Vereen in just a bit of context:

Highly regarded safeties Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix from Alabama and Louisville’s Calvin Pryor were still undrafted when the Bears opted instead for cornerback Kyle Fuller with the No. 14 pick of the first round last May. Right now – which is utterly meaningless, of course – everybody is looking good.

The Packers were right on Clinton-Dix, the Jets on Pryor and the Bears on Fuller: All three are starting exactly where their teams projected them at this point, the safeties starting and Fuller the Bears’ nickel corner and playing well enough to allow the Bears to slide Tim Jennings inside on nickel and match Fuller up opposite Charles Tillman on the outside receivers.

Those successes could reasonably be expected. What has been perhaps the most pleasant surprise through the offseason was what the Bears did to address safety, trading up 35 spots from the fifth round into Denver’s in the fourth round and selecting Vereen from Minnesota.

Vereen has virtually established himself as the player to beat out for the No. 1 free safety position, situated alongside veteran free agent Ryan Mundy. Vereen is in the starting slot that had appeared finally secure in the person of Chris Conte the past two-plus years. Now Conte has perhaps his toughest competition since coming into the NFL via the third round of the 2011 draft, coming back from offseason surgery and needing to overtake an ascending Vereen.

“Brock has done a nice job,” said defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. “He has great attention to detail. He’s very sound from a technique standpoint. He’s smart; he plays fast. He does not make a lot of mistakes. That’s good to see.

“So I think it’s arrow-up with him. He’s doing an outstanding job so far. We’ll see how it goes. We have competition there. There’s nothing set in stone. So we’ll just continue to monitor him and the rest of the guys and we’ll end up with a good group I think.”

Fuller is not likely to be much help to Vereen. Not out of any professional issue or rivalry, but because the two have been roommates and Fuller is quiet, just what coaches don’t want Vereen to be.

“He’s a quiet guy,” Vereen said. “But he’s a heck of a football player and that’s evident.”

His installation with the No. 1 defense over the sampler of safeties signed this offseason (M.D. Jennings, Danny McCray, other options) did not surprise, Vereen, however.

“I wouldn’t use the word ‘surprised,’” Vereen said. “I’d say more ‘grateful for the opportunity.’ I hope to make the most of it. I think just being in the NFL in general hasn’t really sunk in. But I’m just trying to show that I can be a contributing factor to the team.”
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Before all is said and done I swear this kid is gonna be another Mike Brown type. He's a smart instinctive player and they want him to be a vocal leader in that secondary just like Brown was. They're pushing him hard which means they see something good in him.

I was saying in another post that I hoped we'd finally find some players who were above average Safeties for a change because it seems like except for Chris Harris we haven't had one since Mike Brown's prime before all his injuries.

Chris Conte deserves a shot at keeping his job but it's not gonna break my heart at all if Vereen can take it away from him as a rookie. Maybe we really did a catch a break drafting this kid instead of Pryor or Dix.
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    I was just about to post it. You beat me to it.

Be nice if Vereen turns out to be a long term answer at S. I believe Mundy is still young also, like 26, so we could finally have some strength were we have been weak. If Vereen plays anywhere near the level of Ha-Ha or Pryor then we got a real gem in RD 4 and have the added bonus of Fuller in RD 1.

This just seems like one of the better draft classes we have had. In 2000 we got Urlacher and Mike Brown. In 2003 we got Tillman, Briggs, and Grossman. But the class most regard as the best was in 1983 with Jimbo Covert, M Richardson, D Duerson, T Thayer, and R. Dent. Be tough to beat that class but 2 Dlinemen, CB, S, and a punter all potentially starting for years sure has a lot of similarities. If we are lucky we can get a HOF out of this class and let the comparisons begin. I really like this class of rookies much like the 83 class.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Actually Mundy is a little older than that (29) but he's spent 4 years playing behind two of the best Safeties in the game at Pitt before he finally got a shot at starting in NY. I'm hoping we made another Marty Bennett type move here and we're getting a guy whose a late bloomer.

It could work out that we got screaming bargains with both Mundy and Vereen. Hope so, we're over due.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +394 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    Hasn't played 1 down yet in the NFL . Too early to say anything one way or the other imo .
  6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I hope to him starting next to a healthy and determined Conte.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,227 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    602ß
    Glad he's had the time to get in there with the 1's thus far. TC will be a different deal, as the injuries that allowed him to get that time will be over and the real competition begins. Safety is the QB of the secondary, and in many ways the entire D, so whomever starts needs to be confident in his reads and able to get everyone else in position for success.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    He's the draftee I'm most excited to see play in the upcoming season. I don't know why, but I think this kid is a steal. :smile:

September can't come soon enough.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

God dammit lb every time I open one of your posts I see that ass staring at me. No, not yours. That blonde's ass. Well then I forget what you posted so I have to go back and read it again......and again......and again......
  10. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +394 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    535ß
    U need to get laid .
    • Agree Agree x 1