Vereen impressing with No. 1 defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jun 18, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    752ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Bears fourth-round draft pick Brock Vereen has impressed coaches in offseason practices while working with the No. 1 defense at free safety.

Continue reading...
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    Unlike JA, it appears Emery can pick at all levels and not just find mid round gems.

I just hope Vereen is impressing b/c he's actually good and not just b/c of the garbage around him.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,171 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I was thinking about that myself. It sure isn't iron sharpening iron over there. I want this guy to work out perhaps even more than Wilson at this point.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,668 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,126ß
    For the terminally lazy like me who hate to just follow a link here's the poop straight from Halas Hall.

I have a feeling this kid may turn out to be the best bargain we got out of this draft. His size, speed, and intangibles seem to match with those of guys who went way ahead of where he did. I think in his case the fact that he was moved around as much as he was at Minnesota led to teams not having as much tape on him at Safety as they would have liked. If he turns out to be a winner I think we can give credit to Phil Emery and his scouts for digging this guy up out of the pile.

Don't know if anyone else caught it but read the part of the paragraph where Trestman was talking about him that I highlighted. Lovie must have left some of his old sayings lying around. LOL I sure hope Trestman doesn't pick up any more of them. If ever hear, "Jay Cutler is our QB and we'll go with that" I'm gonna wonder if Trestman has been possessed. :bah:

Vereen impressing with No. 1 defense

Posted 5 hours ago
    By Larry Mayer
    Bears fourth-round draft pick Brock Vereen has impressed coaches in offseason practices while working with the No. 1 defense at free safety.

Lining up deep in the secondary near the middle of the field, Brock Vereen[​IMG] dashed to the sideline, arriving to greet receiver Terrence Toliver[​IMG] just as a pass sailed past them incomplete.

That play by the rookie free safety in Wednesday’s minicamp practice was the latest proof that Vereen possesses excellent instincts, quickness and playmaking ability.

[​IMG]
    Rookie safety Brock Vereen leaps to make a catch during a recent practice.
    “I’m just coming out, showing a lot of effort and really just trying to have fun,” said the fourth-round draft pick from Minnesota. “I know that I’m not going to be 100 percent comfortable; it’s a new system, it’s a new speed. I’m just trying to go out and show a lot of effort.”

That approach has impressed Bears coaches, who have been playing Vereen with the No. 1 defense in offseason workouts opposite veteran strong safety Ryan Mundy[​IMG].

“Brock has done a nice job,” said defensive coordinator Mel Tucker. “He has great attention to detail. He’s very sound from a technique standpoint. He’s smart, he plays fast. He does not make a lot of mistakes. That’s good to see. So I think it’s ‘arrow up’ with him. He’s doing an outstanding job so far. We’ll see how it goes. We have competition there. There’s nothing set in stone. So we’ll just continue to monitor him and the rest of the guys and we’ll end up with a good group.”

Last year’s starting free safety, Chris Conte[​IMG], has missed the entire offseason program following shoulder surgery, but is expected to return for training camp. Other safeties competing for roster spots include Sean Cattouse[​IMG], M.D. Jennings[​IMG], Danny McCray[​IMG], Craig Steltz[​IMG] and Marcus Trice[​IMG].

Bears coach Marc Trestman has also been impressed with Vereen.

“Brock has not looked out of place,” Trestman said. “He’s certainly got room to grow. He’s got very high football intelligence. He seems to have found a way to be in the right place during the course of practice. He’s verbal, which is very important on the back end. He’s a good communicator.

“He’s working hard. He’s got guys showing him how to work. He’s got the instinctive ability to know what it takes to work. His progression, we feel good about that. He’s ascending and he’s competing to play to start. That’s where he is. He’s in a competitive position to win a job.

“We’re not going to anoint anybody yet, but we’re excited about what we’ve seen of Brock.”

The Bears traded up in the draft to select Vereen, who appeared in 47 games with 36 starts in four seasons at Minnesota, where he recorded 200 tackles, four interceptions and 22 pass breakups. The 5-11, 199-pounder was named first-team all-Big Ten last year as a senior.

The Bears chose Vereen, who was named first-team all-Big Ten last season, after he impressed former safety and current assistant coach Chris Harris during a pre-draft visit.

In adjusting to the pro game, Vereen said the greatest challenge is in mastering the details.

“In college there are some complex systems, but nothing as detailed and so specific at the pro level,” Vereen said. “I think that’s the biggest difference.”

Vereen’s transition has included being integrated into a No. 1 defense that includes veteran Pro Bowlers such as defensive end Jared Allen[​IMG], linebacker Lance Briggs[​IMG] and cornerbacks Charles Tillman[​IMG] and Tim Jennings[​IMG].

“There are guys that as a defensive player all throughout college that you looked up to,” Vereen said. “Now to share the field with them it’s a humbling experience.”

With the Bears’ offseason program ending Thursday, Vereen plans to spend the next several weeks working out with his older brother, Shane, a running back with the New England Patriots.

Vereen figures that will prepare him for the rigors of his first NFL training camp—when the pads come on and practices no longer resemble a basketball scrimmage.

“It’s a completely different game,” Vereen said. “I haven’t experienced it yet obviously on the NFL level, but I’m looking forward to it. I’m very excited. I can’t wait for the season to get here.”​
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Here's another good one. Looks like he has the football I.Q. AND the physical talent. There were some analysts who were saying that he was the best pick in the NFC North and also that he was one of the steals of the entire draft. If he continues on this pace he indeed will be:

Rookie Brock Vereen surpasses Jennings, making run at starting safety spot
    BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter

June 18, 2014 9:30PM

Bears Beat: Cutler and his QBs

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bears Beat: Cutler and his QBs
    Chicago Sun-Times
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Updated: June 18, 2014 9:48PM

It was during a casual stroll out to practice on the Bears’ fourth day of organized team activities that safety Brock Vereen got the news that any rookie — any player, for that matter — wants to hear.

“[Defensive quality-control coach Chris Harris] said you’re going with the ‘ones’ today,” Vereen said.

With one day left in minicamp, he has remained with the “ones” — the Bears’ defensive starters featuring Lance Briggs, Charles Tillman, Tim Jennings, Jared Allen and Jeremiah Ratliff — ever since.

The Bears’ competition at free safety remains wide-open — “We’re not going to anoint anybody yet,” coach Marc Trestman said Wednesday — but there’s no disputing that Vereen has stood out. He has surpassed former Packer M.D. Jennings while Chris Conte recovers from shoulder surgery.

“I feel like a rookie,” said Vereen, a fourth-round selection the Bears traded up to draft. “But there’s definitely a sense of confidence.”

Vereen’s experience playing cornerback and safety at Minnesota resonated with general manager Phil Emery. But it’s Vereen’s intelligence that has accelerated his rise.

Harris traveled to Vereen’s high school in Valencia, California, to evaluate him before the draft.

“When we got on the [white] board, he was able to articulate their defense,” said Harris, who evaluated many safeties before the draft. “Then I taught him one defensive call, and he was able to regurgitate it with all the checks that I gave him — everything. He seemed to grasp things quickly.”

Commending a player’s mental makeup has been a staple of the Trestman era, but when it’s a rookie drawing praise, it’s seems more noteworthy.

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker said Vereen pays “great attention to detail” and is “very sound from a technique standpoint.” Starting strong safety Ryan Mundy said Vereen is a “sponge who’s soaking up everything he can.”

Trestman described Vereen as a “good communicator” with “high football intelligence” who “seems to have found a way to be in the right place during the course of practice.”

“You can tell he’s a very intense kid,” defensive backs coach Jon Hoke said. “He’s very smart. He’s locked into what his job is. He’s come along very good. We thought that was the type of player we were getting from our pre-draft [work]. We’re very pleased with where he’s at.”

A true test for Vereen will come after Conte returns during the preseason. Conte has been heavily criticized after last season, but he still has the most starting experience of all the safeties.

“I told Chris I can’t wait to get him out there,” Tucker said.

But the longer Conte’s recovery lasts, the longer Vereen has to cement himself. He thanks Mundy, Tillman and others for his rapid ascent. He also keeps notes of things to improve, and they’re lengthy.

“I know that nothing’s set,” Vereen said. “I know that I have a longer road to go than I even realize at this point. I know we have plenty of time before that first game.”

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com

Twitter: @adamjahns
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,218 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    And whats interesting about that, is that he relied on Chris Harris when making that pick:

If Brock pans out to be a solid starter, then we should all be glad that Harris is on our coaching staff.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    Good catch Jimmors, I think I glossed over that. It's a shame that Tillman has stated that when he's done playing he's done w/football b/c I think he could be like Harris but for CB's.
  8. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,218 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Everyone has to follow his own path, i wouldnt be surprised to see Tillman take up the philanthropic flag and run with it, i can see him get engaged in charities, he would make a great spokesman and fundraiser.

I always had hoped Mike Brown would join our coaching staff, he would have been such an asset, but its good to see Chris Harris doing work for us.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    Last I had heard Tillman talk he had mentioned wanting to get into law enforcement; but I hope he does something safer like charity/spokesperson.
  10. Rakk

Rakk Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +75 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Wouldn't it be great to see him on Cops chasing some dude down, stripping the jacked purse out his hands, then taking him down! Lol
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    I haven't paid much attention to Bears football of late, but Vereen is the guy I keep hearing about, which is making me think he might be the gem of this draft. If that is the case, and at least 1-2 other players make an impact this season, he will already have done more for the benefit of the team than Angelo or Mike McCaskey in their combined 20+ years with the team, and that ain't an exaggeration.
  12. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß

^^^^meh, even if he is impressing only because of the garbage around him, at least that suggests that he is better than said garbage, ja?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    I'm happy BMG, just hoping that it's b/c the kid is a stud we got in the late rounds and not b/c the other guys were as bad as I knew they were.