Was Trestman the pick of the litter?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I was just reading an article on the Eagles and Kelly apparently named Vick as his starter. Part of the article went through how well the Eagles are doing in terms of confusing opposing defenses as well as having a fast paced offense that is scoring points.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am happy with Trestman (so far anyway) and neither Kelly nor Trestman have had a chance to either discredit themselves or to build their rep, but Kelly was probably the top guy on my list (yeah... I'm a risk taker).

So with most of us happy with Trestman, I thought I'd ask the question (and since the season has not even started, we should ask the question again near the end of the season and we have seen all the rookie coaches lead their teams) just as yet another topic we can all argue.... sorry.... discuss. Do you think we got the pick of the coaching litter with Trestman, or do you think one of the others will outshine him based on only he first two preseason games (keeping in mind no one is showing all their cards right now anyway)
  2. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +48 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Yes its early, but I am happy so far. Yes it could / mite change, but just what I have seen / feed to me thru the media , it looks like the right choice for this team.
  3. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kelly went to a team under different circumstances.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,880 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    He wasn't my pick, I originally wanted that guy from Denver (forget his name at the moment). But thus far I am happy with him
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +153 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    BIH, as you said no one is showing ALL their cards now anyway. I thinking Trestman is showing less of his hand than most because he is a very experienced coach & play caller who has had success in this league where as Kelly is right out of college (Not sure if he has much if any NFL experience). I heard Trestman mention the other day when talking about the upcoming Raiders game that he's looking for us to execute better but we wouldn't run stuff we will run when the season started other than your basic vanilla offense.

We would all like to see our Bears look good, especially on offense, against the Raiders but IMHO it really doesn't have much if any bearing on how good a team we are this year. What really matters in these next 3 weeks is that Trestman & his coaching staff make the right calls on who starts & how gets cut & that we stay relatively healthy.

Having said that I hope we kick the Raiders ass!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hadn't a clue who he was but after tracking his career:

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/marc-trestmans-career-timeline

I was more than impressed. He's shown a versatile, diverse background, intuitive & successful interaction with players, especially QBs, elevated numerous teams/players success; some to 1sts, & lastly went to the CFL & won 2 of 3 Grey Cups.

Some may downplay the CFL HC stint but regardless of a drop off of talent level, it's still impressive that he obviously got the most out of his team, year after year. I'd have been more concerned with a rookie coach still finding his identity with no resume with the players or a college coach who may not make the leap from barking at kids to dealing with adults.

Like Bih/Bear Jim said, too early to judge a team when the preseason norm is to play your cards close to your vest. Even then, it's human nature to put a new HC on the clock immediately but in reality we should sit back & watch the growth curve with a cold beer & our feet up. Gotta feeling it'll be a good show...
    • Like Like x 3
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mike McCoy.

For me it was either McCoy or Arians. But I like Trestman so far. I heard somewhere (I think it was the old site) that McCoy didn't want to work with Cutler or something like that.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I like Trestman's even demeanor, and I think that will engender him to the players like Lovie did. The difference is he is obviously not afraid to pull the rug on someone who is not performing, and will also thrust a rookie into the lineup if he can prove his worth. I only wonder why he hasn't been given an opportunity before now. I know some have cited his personality, but I just don't know if that is the whole story. Guess we will have to wait and see.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TBH I never heard of him...but as long as he dont look like he is taking orders at Wendys on the side line,like Lovie did ,I'm all for him.
  10. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    I liked Lovie, but I swear sometimes I thought he was asleep with his eyes open on the sideline!!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    Wanted McCoy too, but after finding out about Trestman I really started to like him and hope for the best
  12. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    758ß
    Trestman has a lot of Pro experience, and was a championship winner in the CFL. Kelly has only college experience (only 4 years as HC), so ill take Trestman.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didnt care for the hire but after the fact I like the staff he decided to surround himself with. Also I like the accountability and hustle he is getting out of the players. Cant wait for the season to start so we can see how this all translates into Ws and beating the pack
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Hard to compare Philly and Chi, two different teams. I wanted Arians or McCoy myself, but I've been happy w/Trestman since his first introduction. For me he said all the right things. I think he and Emery will get along well and stay on message. Both want an open and cordial relationship w/the media and fans, which was a huge problem in the prev regime. Both are good communicators, and Both want to get the qb and the O fixed on this team w/out disturbing the current Def to much.

This year is all about evaluating Cutler, and I'm not sure anyone, other then Arians, could have been a better evaluator of Cutler then Trestman, and that includes McCoy or Kelly. And if for some reason Cutler doesn't work out, I have more faith in Trestman to be able to target a college qb he can develop then I would any of the previous mentioned three and get the most out of him the quickest. I'm quite happy w/Trestman, and hearing Harbaugh(one in SF) say that a lot of what he does w/O came from his days in Oak w/Trestman has me even more excited.
    • Like Like x 4
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +839 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    747ß
    My top three was Mike McCoy, Brian Kelly or Jon Gruden, McCoy being my favorite choice.

Wasn't too pleased when I first heard about the Trestman hiring but after I cooled down I realized that I'm just a fan and Phil Emery probably knows a lot more than I do.

So I'm just gonna wait and be patient. Maybe in a couple of years we'll see if Trestman was the right choice in 2013. God I hope so.

Anyway, Go Bears!!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +654 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    How many were happy with Long pick when it was 1st announced? Now how is that pick looking? Do we really still know what he's going to look like at the start of season we all hope so? Same for Trestman who lead #1 NFL offense to a SB I don't believe any of the others did correct me if I'm wrong. So I more than patient to wait for the season before he shows his hand. Not going to fret over only 30 plays total in 2 preseason games from the offense 1's at this point. From what I see so far just like Long I'm pleased as punch. Sure things can change but all signs so far still pointing to go because we haven't played 1 real game.
  17. Sharky

Sharky Veteran

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    i wanted Gruden, Cowher or Arians. Imnot much of a fan of Trestman but ill eat crow if he can pull it off
  18. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It's interesting to think how others would have done for the Bears or how Trestman would've for others, but I'm perfectly happy with him so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,378 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    784ß
    This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. There may be some bumps-in-the-road initially if Cutler is unable or unwilling to step up his play to fully run a Trestman offense. Jay will need to include the other weapons in this offense and make better decisions (fewer stupid ints, quit forcing everything to Marshall & get rid of the ball rather than taking unnecessary sacks). But I agree, with you that if for some reason Cutler doesn't work out, I too have faith in Trestman to be able to target a college QB he can develop. Trestman can do this better than the other coaches mentioned, and of course Lovie couldn't do this for us if his life depended on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    He was!
    • Like Like x 2