Was Trestman the pick of the litter?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I was just reading an article on the Eagles and Kelly apparently named Vick as his starter. Part of the article went through how well the Eagles are doing in terms of confusing opposing defenses as well as having a fast paced offense that is scoring points.

Now, don't get me wrong. I am happy with Trestman (so far anyway) and neither Kelly nor Trestman have had a chance to either discredit themselves or to build their rep, but Kelly was probably the top guy on my list (yeah... I'm a risk taker).

So with most of us happy with Trestman, I thought I'd ask the question (and since the season has not even started, we should ask the question again near the end of the season and we have seen all the rookie coaches lead their teams) just as yet another topic we can all argue.... sorry.... discuss. Do you think we got the pick of the coaching litter with Trestman, or do you think one of the others will outshine him based on only he first two preseason games (keeping in mind no one is showing all their cards right now anyway)

2. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +111 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Yes its early, but I am happy so far. Yes it could / mite change, but just what I have seen / feed to me thru the media , it looks like the right choice for this team.

3. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kelly went to a team under different circumstances.

4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,673 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,548ß
    He wasn't my pick, I originally wanted that guy from Denver (forget his name at the moment). But thus far I am happy with him

• Like Like x 1
  5. BearJim

BearJim Veteran
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +171 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    BIH, as you said no one is showing ALL their cards now anyway. I thinking Trestman is showing less of his hand than most because he is a very experienced coach & play caller who has had success in this league where as Kelly is right out of college (Not sure if he has much if any NFL experience). I heard Trestman mention the other day when talking about the upcoming Raiders game that he's looking for us to execute better but we wouldn't run stuff we will run when the season started other than your basic vanilla offense.

We would all like to see our Bears look good, especially on offense, against the Raiders but IMHO it really doesn't have much if any bearing on how good a team we are this year. What really matters in these next 3 weeks is that Trestman & his coaching staff make the right calls on who starts & how gets cut & that we stay relatively healthy.

Having said that I hope we kick the Raiders ass!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hadn't a clue who he was but after tracking his career:

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/bears-talk/marc-trestmans-career-timeline

I was more than impressed. He's shown a versatile, diverse background, intuitive & successful interaction with players, especially QBs, elevated numerous teams/players success; some to 1sts, & lastly went to the CFL & won 2 of 3 Grey Cups.

Some may downplay the CFL HC stint but regardless of a drop off of talent level, it's still impressive that he obviously got the most out of his team, year after year. I'd have been more concerned with a rookie coach still finding his identity with no resume with the players or a college coach who may not make the leap from barking at kids to dealing with adults.

Like Bih/Bear Jim said, too early to judge a team when the preseason norm is to play your cards close to your vest. Even then, it's human nature to put a new HC on the clock immediately but in reality we should sit back & watch the growth curve with a cold beer & our feet up. Gotta feeling it'll be a good show...

• Like Like x 3
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mike McCoy.

For me it was either McCoy or Arians. But I like Trestman so far. I heard somewhere (I think it was the old site) that McCoy didn't want to work with Cutler or something like that.

• Like Like x 2
  8. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    I like Trestman's even demeanor, and I think that will engender him to the players like Lovie did. The difference is he is obviously not afraid to pull the rug on someone who is not performing, and will also thrust a rookie into the lineup if he can prove his worth. I only wonder why he hasn't been given an opportunity before now. I know some have cited his personality, but I just don't know if that is the whole story. Guess we will have to wait and see.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    TBH I never heard of him...but as long as he dont look like he is taking orders at Wendys on the side line,like Lovie did ,I'm all for him.

10. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +194 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    130ß
    I liked Lovie, but I swear sometimes I thought he was asleep with his eyes open on the sideline!!

• Like Like x 1