Was Trestman the pick of the litter?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Aug 20, 2013.

1. ticat

ticat Veteran

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Trestman is genius and he can't be compared with anyone out there. He changed football up here and could do it down there. The CFL has grown by leaps and bounds and is not that far off the NFL, of course it will never rival with it. 1200 players get cut every year form the NFL camps and that does not mean they are all useless. And with a new deal with TSN for about 250m for 5 years is a 1st for the league and will help raise the salary cap. Let say if troy smith happens to replace A.C in montrteal and becomes a great CFL QB, he will be making 1/2 mil per season, not to bad. And with updates to stadiums in BC, Edmonton, montreal, new one in winnipeg, new one in hamilton next year also a new one in ottawa next year. And the rest are in planning stages. Things are looking good for the old girl. Just have to get Toronto out of the sky dome.. But I will predict if they buy into trestman things are going to get interesting and alot of wins for the bears.
  2. CNYBearFan54

CNYBearFan54 Rookie

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So far I'm in to Trestman. I like the things he's doing, I liked seeing Ditka invited to watch practice and speak to the team. I think he's going about things the right way, I hope it translates to the players and we get some big wins and some Super Bowls!

BearDown
    • Like Like x 2
  3. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,769 / 13 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    I'm digging what Trestman is doing... I wanted Arians (what a turnaround as an interim HC) and Gruden (for obvious reasons)...

Honestly I had no idea who Trestman was. Honestly, I wasn't paying attention to who the QB coach for the Lions, Cardinals and Raiders was in the late 90s early 00s... however... after the team signed him and I did a bunch of reading on the guy... he's impressive. And his daughters are hot. It calmed me down and I am no longer freaking out. lol
  4. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    True. I'd like to bang his daughters. lol
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    I will say this, I'm happy they didn't go w/a ex nfl great since their history of replicating that same magic is very low.

I'm expecting a slow start, but I'm hoping it all picks up. The schedule is just brutal and I wish the new regime had been handed something a little less difficult...no doubt this is going to be a trial by fire from game 1 on.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,499 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    809ß
    yeah, first half of the schedule is brutal, but the second half is much easier. So, if they start to click by the bye week, things should get better towards the end. Hypothetically, if they start the season say 2-6, but finish 7-1, even if we have a 9-7 record, that is going to be some great momentum going into 2014.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +172 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    It's too early for me to judge Trestman, but he was the top of my list when they were interviewing.
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    If Goodell continues his conversion of the NFL to NPL (national pussy league) I'll come over to watch real men hit and play real football in the CFL.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Continually stunned that so many people are willing to throw RG under the bus, but they ignore that he didn't start making these major revamps until after the lawsuit came into being; so why isn't it the retiree's fault? What would you expect a billion dollar industry to do when it's facing a huge lawsuit b/c of how it treats it's employees? Continue to mistreat it's employees and face future similar lawsuits and similar huge losses?
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    He doesn't have to give such crazy amount fine to Bostic but at same time say spectacular hit on his web site. He could hand out fines that are within reason to appease lawsuit BS without screwing the players. Law doesn't look at cost handed out they want to see if you took steps to address the issues. If he really wants to address head tackle problem take the weapon away that has induce this and take the hard shell off the helmet and go to boxer style headpiece. Some rugby players use soft style helmet for protection and not for a weapon. Guys would think twice before leading with their head, technique and form tackling would come back instead of torpedoing hit style.
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Goodell isn't the one that fines the players, he has a group, consisting of ex players that reviews the hits and lays out the fines. Bostic also is going to contest the fine and get it down to just under 6k. No they won't look at the cost, they'll look at the fact that they made a rule to reduce head trauma and that they are attempting to enforce it.

Actually I don't disagree w/you. Butkus said last year that they need to remove the armor of these guys, go back to a leather, facemaskless helmet. He was laughed at, but I got the point. No way in hell is someone going to lead w/their head or head down if they don't have a hardhat protecting them.
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    373ß
    So there you go, they just want to play grab ass with all this and only really care about are the lawsuit issues. Simple cause and effect situation. They blew off Butkus for addressing the cause this will continue and they are only trading blown out knees for fewer possible concussions. Second this football injury is part of the game and will always be part of it and lawyers ALWAYS f-up everything.
  13. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Kelly is going to get bounced out of this league as fast as Saban was. Don't believe all the hype on Kelly. His college game belongs in college. He left because Oregon was going to get hit with violations and he personally faced a 2yr show-cause penalty. I'm glad the Bears didn't bring that tool here.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,083 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,152ß
    Lawyers will F it up, and they have w/this lawsuit...but so did the NFL and the players union; they had the chance to give some money to the retired players that didn't get the big paychecks like the guys today, and they basically told them to go kick mud. The retirees had another option, lawsuit for neglagence by their company, and they have a strong case.

That case, when won(not if) is the reason for the rules changes and the overly strict interpretation of the rules now. I don't really like it, but I know what it is, and the days of killing the other guy is done and over with.
  15. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    84ß
    A hit sampler --

On the subject of the thread, his HC experience in the CFL is significant, especially when it comes to his ability to learn, adapt and use the talent at his disposal. Most NFL/NCAA coaches who move to the CFL and fail to adapt, end up fired pretty quick, see Hawkins in Montreal and more recently the OC in Winnipeg. They usually run the systems they knew previously and fail to learn the game. Sometimes it's because of stupidity, sometimes it's arrogance or more likely a mix of both. Trestman did the exact opposite by admitting he did not know the CFL and committed himself to learning it. With the possible exceptions of Hufnagel and Buono, he ended up out-coaching every other CFL HC.

For the Bears, this means you've got a guy who'll build his system around the talent he has, get the most out of that talent, and in the process won't stop trying to develop his own abilities. I doubt that man will ever stop trying to get better. Certainly beats the type that think they know everything the minute they hang the "Head Coach" shingle on their parking spot.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. pepperfoot2

pepperfoot2 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    whats with the guy from denver ? why not get him ?
  17. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +876 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    McCoy would have been my favorite coach as well, but apparently Emery believes Trestman is a better choice and a better QB coach for Cutler. So I guess we all will have to trust Phil on this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. arcelormittal Dofasco

arcelormittal Dofasco Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Trestman is without a doubt one of the best coaches I've seen. As a Hamilton Tigercat season ticket holder for 20 years I've had the pleasure of heckling a lot of opposing coaches and in that time I've learned a lot about their demeanor lol. He will not hesitate to bench someone who is not performing. Veterans rookies it doesn't matter. He has an uncanny ability to get tge most out of his players. When he speaks they listen. He doesn't listen to the heckling fan though trust me I've tried to get his attention. He is without a doubt the right choice and I wish him all the best.

I'm becoming a Bears fan hmmm lol
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,487 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    The guys (Kurt Warner, specifically) on NFL network last night were saying that a coach like Trestman HAS to show more of their offense in the preseason, because it's new, and they need game time for that. With that said, it looked more like practice, than anything, against that D.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like Trestman. We probably got the best offensive mind.