We are NOT going to a 3-4

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Emery: Cutler evaluation ongoing, Bears 4-3 defense is not

October 31, 2013, 9:00 am

[​IMG]

By William Randolph Hearst

The Bears’ evaluation of quarterback Jay Cutler remains a study in progress. But whatever the troubles with the Bears defense, the strategic direction is not changing: The defense plays a 4-3 base defense and is going to stay that course.

Besides giving continued signs that the organization views Cutler as the franchise quarterback, even as the evaluation process is ongoing, general manager Phil Emery made clear on Thursday morning during an appearance on “The Mully & Hanley Show” on WSCR-AM that the Bears will not be following the New Orleans Saints, Philadelphia Eagles and others in adopting a 3-4 defensive scheme.

The Bears have only a handful of players who would make smooth transitions to a 3-4. Shea McClellin fits the physical profile of a 3-4 linebacker but the Bears have no linemen other than perhaps Julius Peppers, at age 33, who have the size to be a 3-4 lineman.

[RELATED: Bears don't need to make changes on offense]

Emery was in Kansas City when the Chiefs converted and while some players made the transition, others like defensive end Turk McBride could not. “You don’t want to have too many of those ‘can’t make the transition’ guys,” Emery said.

Emery did not bring it up, but changing to a 3-4, which coordinator Mel Tucker has coached elsewhere during his career, also would require coaching-staff changes as well as player personnel. The techniques for the defensive line are different in most 3-4’s, where the down-linemen play two-gap scheme, vs. the current Bears system that is a one-gap, upfield-speed style. Inside linebackers typically have a separate position coach as well.

Emery also said that the timetables for Cutler returning from his torn groin (four weeks) and linebacker Lance Briggs from his fractured shoulder (six) were “accurate.” Both players have indicated hopes of playing sooner than those estimates but Emery was pleased at the positive mindsets of both.
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +163 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    79ß
    Geezus Henry I hope we dont go to 3-4 since we are at 4-3.

Can the NFL deduct games from us?
  3. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Whatever Seattle runs; I want that. I would be happy with a clone. How did they get so good so quickly? Good drafting?
    • Like Like x 1
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    fine, but it is time to scrap the Cover-2 for something less predictable and infinitely more aggressive.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Since, for the 838th time, we ARE NOT GOING TO A 3-4, can the Bears get realistic about Shea not being a DE???
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Great drafting AND d-coordinators/coaches who actually preach an aggressive and unpredictable defense philosophy....geee...imagine that?!!!!!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    how 'bout a compromise? The fans will FINALLY accept that we are not switching to a 3-4 when Emery and Co. FINALLY accept that Shea DOES NOT BELONG ON THE DL.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    I agree. They are a physical and intimidating team. They sure ended Johnny Knox' career in a heartbeat. I was at that game. One of the most vicious hits you'll see. Like a bug hitting a windshield. Even their offense plays like that. They unload on you. Bigtime.

9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Swing and a miss.
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    i don't necessarily have a preference. Both can work with the right coaches and players. I just want to see an aggressive, hard hitting D that puts opponents on their heals. Either flavor can do that if done right. I do like the idea of big guys clogging up the middle because let's face it, the new O's all have pretty big guys trying to move those DL.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I am with BIH, I don't care which scheme they use. I just want aggressive performance when the defensive team is on the field. I would like to see us pick up a couple of big defensive linemen in the draft.

Regarding his comments...Emery really can't say anything during the season, so what happens come spring is still up in the air. Because we have so much of our players under contract review, if we make a change this is the year to do it.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    The team doesn't have the positions NOW to run that scheme, but when you look at who's under contract and who can walk, and who might well get cut, that changes it quite a bit. A major overhaul has to be done on the D regardless of scheme, so why pigeon hole at the end of the season into this or that or another? Tucker is here next year regardless and has worked w/both a 3-4 and 4-3. Get him talent and let him run w/it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,977 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Not to mention that Bostic is a Gator, a team that just happens to run a 3-4 Hybrid. That, plus Shea, and DJ Williams and James Anderson both having experience in both 4-3 and 3-4 tells me that Emery is planning ahead, if not switching to 3-4, at least having a 3-4 hybrid.

I think Melton is going to walk (especially if we are tagging Cutler), and who knows what is going to happen with Peppers. In any case, this coming off season will be very telling depending on what Emery does in FA and the Draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    Ya I'm not saying they are going one way or another, but this seasons personel really doesn't say one way or another b/c of how few people are under contract this coming offseason.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    excellent points, Riczaj01. As you so eloquently noted: 1-Bunch of D-guys ain't gonna be back next year 2-D is in need of a MAJOR OVERHAUL anyway soooooo, why not consider switching things up from a schematic perspective?! I am going to be honked off if we are still running Lovie's beloved Cover-2 next season! :mad:
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    Well this year the team allowed the players to go w/what they know, next year won't be the same. Even if it's still a 4-3, I don't know that it will be a cover 2, not sure what Tucker ran in the past, but I don't believe it was the same as Lovie.
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I would prefer a hybrid, but I am fine with sticking with a 4-3 base, as long as we bury the Cover-2 where it belongs!
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    I don't care what they do, as long as it fits the personel they bring in.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well on that point, we disagree. The Cowardly Cover-2 belongs on the scrap heap of history, along with women wearing pantsuits!!! :laundry:
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,438 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    BMG, every team uses the Cover 2, but most don't use it as a base, and I would perfer they go away from it, but it's whatever suits the talent.