We will be getting a QB in the next draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 10, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    And that is the problem with BR. They let anyone post there. There are no expert voices, no one with connections to anything. Just fans voicing their opinion as we are.

If you want to post their crappy "articles" do so on your own board and stop spamming this board with that garbage.

Anyone who uses that crap as anything more than a discussion starter has issues. It is NOT a Lego new source.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +2,841 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    • Like Like x 3
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  4. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Teams that draft quarterbacks whenever they feel the pick has value seem to do well. I have no issues with picking one up every year, as long as, it has potential as an investment. Everyone needs a backup, and most figure out a way to lay claim to three.

Blanchard was a steal; McCown, unfortunately, is a dead end. I think you gotta keep the arrow pointing up on the majority of your back up and rotational players. Declining vets and JAGs serve a purpose on the roster, but when you find good values in that arena it is short lived. Not good for QB's.

Depends on how you like to gamble. You can spend or trade for that first round prospect and throw money at a risk with serious potential. You can spend more money and pay for others to develop a QB and trade for backups (hopefully with some upside left), and/or you can throw ufas and low round selections at it with rapid turn over and see what sticks.

I don't know what is the most successful, probably high first round picks. It just doesn't seem like the best solution for a good franchise to make, to trade up for the top picks costs too much. I think for the bears drafting in the 3rd or 4th and taking a stab in the draft when you feel there is value is the best way to go, once you have addressed your team's needs. If we get the O Line figured out, and plan out the successors for our secondary I don't care when or where they draft a QB.

The only thing I don't like is when the back up and third string becomes stale. Glad Campbell is gone, but McCown/Blanchard should had a victor if possible last year. The goal is to get a backup that puts competition on your franchised starter, that is when your investment returns a profit...
  5. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This next draft is so QB rich...that I really believe deep down that Cutler just has to wow them this year, in order to avoid being replaced. Not every team picking in the top 10 will need a QB and there are about 6-7QBs in this next draft that would easily be an upgrade over Cutler. Its just a fact. If they were willing to deal all those picks for Cutler, they should be willing to deal for one of these young studs.
  6. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,609 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    718ß
    Remember.... excelling on college, being part of a "rich" or deep draft, doesn't NECESSARILY equate to success in the NFL.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Loki that was not a very 'rich' or 'deep QB' draft and you know it my man. In fact, there were many scouts who made it clear that Leaf was the biggest gamble of the draft. IN fact, Manning was the only bonafide franchise QB of that draft. This next draft is going to eclipse the '83 draft.

And I'll tell you another thing...as a guy that is a CFB junkie...best QB of this upcoming draft is...Stephen Morris from the U. One of the best arms to come into the NFL in a very long time. He's the real deal. That's who the Bears should be targeting, not that fairy Bridgewater.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    This whole topic is completely premature. I like to speculate as much as the next guy, but this is absolutely impossible to have an intelligent debate over at this point. There are way too many moving parts here that will effect the outcome.

We dont know what Cutler will do this year. This is the most important thing and will have an enormous impact on any qb draftees. For instance, if he flops completely or has some kind of devastating injury and we look to move on we are going to draft a hell of a lot different than if he puts up career best numbers. Case one I would expect a qb in rd 1, case 2 I would assume mid round guy.

We also don't know what kind of years these college kids in question will have. Its completely unpredictable to start trying to put together a draft board at this point.

All this aside I'll focus on what is relevant, after what we have seen from McCown and Blanchard its safe to expect a qb drafted at some point last year. I, and many others wanted a qb at some point this year to compete for the backup and develop for the future. Hell, who knows maybe we could have even hit a home run. Others were riding the Blanchard train but he gives us no legit option at least in the short term. Frankly, there is a reason he wasn't a D1 qb and a reason he wasn't drafted. Yeah, there are gems every now and again but are we really, honestly relying on a D2, UDFA 2nd year man to save our season if Cutler goes down? Get real, he isn't that guy and prolly will never be.

So yeah, I agree at some point we will draft a QB in the 2014 draft, that is about as much as we can say at this point. Anything else is just very premature.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Grizz, I think that was one of my original points. But for the sake of something to talk about, hell why not play the game
  10. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,841 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    This is (one of the many reasons) why nobody takes you seriously.

It's not a "fact" that any of the QBs next year will be an upgrade over Cutler.

I agree they should pick up a QB in the first 4 rounds regardless of how Cutler performs, however.
    • Like Like x 5
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL@ this guy and the time spent on his post.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Ho hum, tell him it's because he's the best QB we have right now and maybe when we get him some lineman who can actually pass block (that makes Webb suspect immediately) and someone who actually knows how to design and run an offense (Tice couldn't coach a Pop Warner team and win) then Cutler may be around here for the rest of his career and we'll have less to be concerned about as far as drafting one. Seems to me we covered a lot of those bases this year so let's see how it works out.

If finding great QBs was that easy to do there's be a whole lot more Favres, Wilson, Kaepernicks, and Bradys and every team would have at least one. But is doesn't work that way so either your Pop can sit back and enjoy watching Cutler again this year or he can rejoin the team when they get a new QB whose better. But tell him to make himself comfortable. It may be a long wait. :rolleyes:
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Mr. D said; "This next draft is so QB rich...that I really believe deep down that Cutler just has to wow them this year, in order to avoid being replaced. Not every team picking in the top 10 will need a QB and there are about 6-7QBs in this next draft that would easily be an upgrade over Cutler. Its just a fact. If they were willing to deal all those picks for Cutler, they should be willing to deal for one of these young studs."

Oh he's real good at stating his opinions as if they were facts. Have you noticed that? The trouble is his opinions are like er.......one of those things we've all got and need to shower often to keep it fresh, but he's seldom afraid to share it with us.

Now waiting for the obligatory homophobic insult..........3....2....1. :D
  14. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,438 / 5 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    49ß
    Um, no. In fact, many experts were calling Leaf the only sure thing, because Manning didnt' have the arm strenght, and couldn't make the same throws that Leaf could.

Continuing on from my first point, arm strength is the most overrated factor when evaluating draftees. I don't care if your guy from the U does have a cannon, He's from the U, and they have an awesome pedigree of producing qb busts. No thanks, I will take someone with intelligence, that is decisive, and has a cool head over someone with a a great arm any day...
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    Biggest problem w/Cutler is his arm strength, he relies on it to much, and it's why he's willing to hold onto the ball to long and wait for the wr to actually be seen as open. if he would lay off the cannon his overall quality of play would improve 10 fold
  16. AtomicTommy

Ratings:
    +2,841 / 13 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    304ß
    LOL@ this guy and the lack of thought he puts into his posts.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Gotta have some common sense coupled with a healthy dose of football IQ in order to do that well. I don't know, must be a genetic defect or something. ;)
  18. gramster10

gramster10 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    IT'S UP TO JAY BUT THERE ARE MORE GUYS TO THROW TO THIS YEAR WHO CAN CATCH THE BALL// THE BENCHING WEBB SHOWS A LITTLE PROMISE THE LINE WILL BE BETTER THIS YEAR//I LIKE THE MOVES PHIL MAKES ALL THOSE NUMBER ONES J A PICKED SET THE TEAM BACK BIG TIME AND COST LOVIE //ONE THING THAT MIGHT MAKE A DIFFERENCE IS THE DESIRE PLAYERS HAVE TO PLAY
  19. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Is there a better QB than Jay in the next draft? Given the sheer volume of college QBs out there (enough monkeys at enough typewriters and all that) I'd say yes.

Will the Bears Scouting Dept. correctly identify that player(s)? Yes? No? Maybe?

Will that correctly identified player(s) be available when the Bears pick in the draft? Yes? No? Maybe? Barring the Bears going 0-16, there is no way to guarantee that either.

Will that drafted player be capable of being developed? Yes? No? Maybe? Remember, there are all kinds of QBs whose personality prevented them from becoming great in the NFL.

Will that drafted player be successfully developed into a top 5 QB? Yes? No? Maybe? Keep in mind that there is a difference between the Belief that Trestman can develop a QB as a Head Coach, and Him ACTUALLY doing it. (Success has many fathers, Failure is an orphan.)

Does anyone else smell the level of "IF" that in is the above sequence? Or is it just me?

The thing that gets me about the Jay Haters is that there is an assumption that the answers to all of those questions is going to be "yes" the first time. As if all any team in the NFL has to do is go to the QB tree in the draft and pick one off the tree who is guaranteed to be a top 8 QB in his first year and only get better with each successive season until they are a top 5 QB. Even this new crop of QBs has not yet proven that they can sustain, let alone improve each season.

Let me be clear: I want the Bears to have the best QB that they can get their paws on under center. If that player is our next draft pick, fine. If that player is instead Jay, I have no problem with that either. What I do not want is to have to accept a worse QB because the franchise "missed" somehow. The only way to guarantee that is to keep the best QB the Bears have, and to have the next QB up prove that he is better through direct competition. At this time, Jay, faults and all, is proven to be the best we have. I am disinclined to get rid of him until I know we have someone who is either better, or at least is just as good while being cheaper. At this time we have neither.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Original Jackiejokeman

Original Jackiejokeman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ß
    So Chi City Bear .com gets to post here ... then it should be the other way around also.