We will be getting a QB in the next draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

yeah. It was one of those "Cutler" decisions. It was on him. It can be corrected, but really, I was surprised at him continuing to target Marchall exclusively and at his decisions. I thought that at the very least, targeting Marshall would be eliminated by now. Decisions will take a while loger. Not focusing on a particulr player is much easier to accomplish and Trestman made it a point that it was a focus on his work with Cutler. All the training camps and halp of the preseason behind him and I see no change there. Any way you spin it, it's not good.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

The best QBs do not make stupid interceptions like that one. Marshall was not open and all Jay was doing was looking at Marshall on that play, just like he did on the TD play. It shows that Jay is not a top-level QB. Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, et al would have been looking all over the field on that TD play.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01

Chi, no one ever said he was a top level qb, anyone that thinks he's "elite" is wrong...and that play is why. But you don't need top level "elite" qb's to win the SB, what you need is a qb that can move the ball down the field and be safe w/the ball....and if Trestman can teach Cutler to be safe w/the ball, then he can move the ball and score.

I think Mully had the best discription for someone worrying about Cutler. "Cutler is not a finished QB, but he thinks he is..." If that is the case, then he will not take to the Trestman teaching and will not get resigned b/c you CANNOT just throw balls to the other team in a WCO.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ummm remember last year? Manning threw 5 bad picks in one half vs the Falcons?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. AtomicTommy

AtomicTommy

Heh... beat me to it... I was going to say "actually, all QBs make stupid interceptions like that one" ... they just happen less than they do with Jay. He's overly confident in his arm strength...

Anyways... It was bad. Real bad. But I'm not going to panic like someone who doesn't know anything about preseason football. I watched the play a couple times. He had someone draped on him and he just wanted to get rid of the ball and he was (not surprisingly) locked onto Marshall. He should have probably run or taken the sack... and he may have during the regular season... but it's preseason and when you're already the established starter with no chance of losing your gig... throw it and avoid any hits from someone trying to prove themselves during preseason and don't beat yourself up over it.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

yep classic bad Jay.
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

I get a good laugh after a stressful day at the office with these threads.
  8. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

We always expect those throws once or twice a game from Jay, it's who he is, Brett Favre-esque. Throws that make you want to pull your hair out but throws he will hit a couple times a year that let you put up with those boneheaded mistakes. He admitted he can't make that throw, Trestman said he shouldn't have thrown that pass. Now will he learn from it and not let it happen when the games really matter, that will be the biggest question of if Cutler is really buying in.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I really never cared for Favre, but I have to point out that he was a polar-opposite from Cutler in big games. Favre seemed to crank it up in big games and put a team on his back and win. Sure, he could be an int machine like Jay, but it wasn't a situation where he folded in the big games like Cutler does.

I can't believe I just said something good about Favre.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

The other thing, Farve was the last of a dying breed of "gunslingers" that could get away w/that style b/c the rules weren't so hell bent towards the O's favor. In today's NFL you cannot afford to turn the ball over the way Farve did.
  11. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

Has Cutler really played in big games though? He has 2 playoff games, one of which he got hurt the other he played pretty well, a rushing td and two passing td's. That year the NFCN clincher he had a pretty solid game, 14/24 with 3 TD's and an INT. He never really played in big games to say one way or another how he played.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

In Den he played 2 games a year against SD to fight for the div, and in Chi he's played in multiple games against GB/Minny for the Div title/WC...against GB he's failed miserably...those are all big games...big games are not just playoffs.
  13. stonehouse91

stonehouse91

I'm not sure we have a large enough sample size to say one way or another.
  14. The Benjamin

In terms of games against Green Bay, yes, we have a large enough sample size
  15. The Benjamin

It also depends on your definition of a big game
  16. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

troll.gif