Webb Takes Pay Cut, McDonalds Stock Plunges........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 20, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Bears’ J’Marcus Webb to take pay cut
    BY ADAM L. JAHNS Staff Reporter August 18, 2013 8:47PM

[​IMG]
    J'Marcus Webb

Updated: August 18, 2013 10:39PM

According to the NFL transactions list, the Bears have renegotiated the deal of offensive tackle J’Marcus Webb.
    Webb, a four-year veteran, had a base salary of $1.323 million but is looking at a pay cut.

The restructuring comes after Webb was demoted to second-team left tackle. Rookie Jordan Mills has taken over at right tackle with the first-team offense for the time being.

Webb started every game at left tackle last season, but currently finds himself in a competition for a roster spot. He’s competing against veterans Jonathan Scott and Eben Britton to be the Bears’ swing tackle. Scott has been sidelined by a right knee injury but recently had it drained of fluids. He’s expected to return soon.

Email: ajahns@suntimes.com
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Well at least this is a step in the right direction. If we end up having to keep the lazy oaf at least we we're able to clear some cap space by knocking his pay down a few pegs. Scott still wasn't practicing today so he hasn't had reps in quite a while and every day that goes by without him being on the field makes it that much more unlikely he'll win the swing OT spot. Frankly I'd rather have Webb anyway despite his issues.

Long and Mills are gonna be tough to unseat if they show up again this weekend like they did last. Their gonna make their share of mistakes but at least we end up with a couple of guys who are fired up to play and to improve every week as the season goes along. What a switch that'll be.

In further news top stock analysts at all major Wall Street firms have now placed an immediate sell recommendation on McDonald's stock.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    For better or worse, the Bears are decisive
    BY MARK POTASH Staff Reporter August 19, 2013 7:18PM
    Updated: August 19, 2013 11:20PM

Under Lovie Smith, the Bears never ran out of reasons why J’Marcus Webb should be their starting left or right tackle. Under Marc Trestman, the Bears needed only three weeks and one preseason game to find the one reason why he shouldn’t: They can do better. (That reason had a name. It was Mike Tice)

And it appears they already have. Jordan Mills, a fifth-round draft pick from Louisiana Tech, passed his first test at right tackle last week against the San Diego Chargers. There are many more tests to pass — the Bears haven’t solved their right-tackle situation yet — but it’s progress. Because even if the Bears haven’t found the right guy, they’re one player closer to finding him. That’s the advantage of moving on quickly. (Works for me if it keeps Cutler off his keester.)

We don’t know yet if the Bears are a better-coached team under Trestman. But with general manager Phil Emery and the new coaching staff, they are a better-managed team. For better or worse, these guys don’t waste time with evaluations and decisions. Whether it’s Brian Urlacher, Gabe Carimi, Evan Rodriguez, Devin Hester or Webb, they seem to be operating under the philosophy that there’s always a better alternative. If Plan B fails, there’s always Plan C. (Assuming Plan C is any better and that remains to be seen.)

Every coaching staff in the NFL insists the best players will play, but some are better than others at finding the best players. Smith was the last one to realize that Rex Grossman wasn’t his quarterback, that Mark Anderson wasn’t an every-down defensive end and that Hester couldn’t be a productive receiver and the best kick returner of all time. The early signs are that Emery and Trestman won’t take so long to make similar evaluations of Jay Cutler, Shea McClellin and the next supreme athlete who craves double duty. (After this off season I'd call this an understatement of the facts.)

With Emery and Trestman, the Bears seem more open-minded and strong-willed. When they nudged Urlacher out the door with a low-ball offer, the danger was the intangible effect it would have on a defense that followed Urlacher’s dominating lead. (Not according to Phelonious Phil they didn't, hahaha)

Fox analyst Troy Aikman was the latest to warn that the Bears will miss Urlacher’s leadership. But as it looks right now, the Bears’ defense misses Urlacher only in a sentimental way. The leadership void has been filled — mostly by Lance Briggs but also by Julius Peppers and Charles Tillman. Urlacher is gone, but the Bears’ swagger is as strong as ever. (This is the preseason so it's a little early to call that one just yet. We may have a rookie filling his shoes and those are some really big shoes. Can Briggsy handle the defensive play calling as well as Urlacher did?)

The point is, the Bears made a tough decision and have moved on. And if you can move on from Urlacher, you can move on from Webb or even Cutler, if it ever comes to that. The Bears lost a third-string quarterback last week and hired two guys to replace him. Emery always seems to have more alternatives than he needs. (Let's hope it stays that way.)

It’s not a perfect approach; there are going to be mistakes. Webb’s demotion already casts a new light on the decision to trade Carimi during the offseason. Did the Bears dump the wrong right tackle? (Duh!!! But it's a little late to be asking that question now.)

Carimi, who was traded to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for a sixth-round draft pick, looks like a better option than Webb right now. Maybe Carimi didn’t have the work ethic the Bears wanted. But his injury — a dislocated knee — was so complicated and problematic that Carimi still is recovering from it. And now Carimi is acknowledging that he didn’t go all-out last season because he was being cautious about his knee. Maybe the Bears should have been more patient. (History has proven that the Bears are only patient with those who can't play OT very well but stay healthy like CWill and Webb. The guys who sustain serious injuries like Colombo and Carimi are tossed aside long before we find out if they can play or not.)

But maybe not. Maybe Mills will render that debate moot. Maybe Kyle Long will be so good that it won’t matter. The possibility that unconventional hires Emery and Trestman know what they’re doing is part of what makes this season so interesting. (Interesting yes, but will that produce a winner? If this team finishes with less than a 10-6 record and fails to make the playoffs again I don't think most Bears fans are gonna find this seasons very interesting at all.)

Victories and losses and will tell the tale, but I like their style so far. (Sorry Mark but whoever told you they give out "style points" in the NFL? It's not an Olympic diving competition. Wins and losses are the ONLY things that will tell the tale.)

Email: mpotash@suntimes.com
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,221 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    260ß
    Soul, as big a fanboy I was of Carimi when we first drafted him, you gotta admit that he became an injury bust and is no loss. No use pining away for him. No way he could push Webb or Scott for the swing job...he CAN'T PLAY LT. Heck, he can barely play RT. And he had a major injury and knee surgery that has reduced his mobility. He's 2nd string RT at Tampa and can't crack the starting lineup anywhere. Plus, we have already documented that he had a bad attitude here and snubbed the new coaching staff by skipping OTAs. He didn't want to be here, wouldn't be anything more than a Britton 2.0 on this team, and Emery made the right call to get whatever he could for him in trade.
  5. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Im pretty sure when we drafted carimi everyone believed we got a steal in him. His injury was very unfortunate and a condition JA and his staff knew about that we did not. Whether he stunk cause of his injury or he just stunk idk but I like we didnt wait to find out. And I am glad we are done finding out with this chump webb
    • Like Like x 2
  6. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    This one has always annoyed me. These are NFL teams. Most players who have achieved this level of skill were at some point in their past, a team captain or leader in some form or fashion. It's the best of the best. Unless you form a team of thugs and morons, numerous players at this level are able to step up and fill leadership role. It's in their DNA.
  7. menacemanic

menacemanic Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ß

and who are the thugs and who are morons.................... :tornado:
    :shoot2:
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Morning Bears Bits: Webb Pay Cut A No-Brainer

[​IMG]
    J’Marcus Webb. (Photo by Jonathan Daniel/Getty Images)

By Adam Hoge-

(CBS) — When J’Marcus Webb was demoted to a backup last week, he immediately became overpaid, especially for a team up against the cap.

Due over $1.3 million this year, one could only wonder if he might be cut, especially after offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer admitted Webb was fighting for a spot on the roster.

The problem with cutting Webb, however, is that he would immediately become the best offensive lineman on the free agent market and the Bears still graded him out as an NFL level starter for most of last season.

But when third-string quarterback Matt Blanchard fractured a knuckle on his left hand Thursday and the Bears were forced to sign another quarterback, their lack of cap space became a problem. After originally signing Jordan Palmer over the weekend, they also added Trent Edwards a day later and the second signing came on the same day the Chicago Tribune reported that Webb took a pay cut of more than 50 percent.

Per the report, Webb’s salary went from $1.323 million to $630,000, giving the Bears an initial cap savings of $693,000. Webb can still earn the lost money back thru playing time incentives, adding urgency to the offensive tackle who so far hasn’t seemed all that motivated in a contract year.

And that’s why this pay cut is a no-brainer — for both sides.

The Bears save cap space right away and there’s still a chance Webb will provide some value this season.

Webb had absolutely no leverage and still gets an opportunity to earn the $1.323 million. If he hadn’t accepted the pay cut, he could have been cut and would have had to sign elsewhere for the fourth-year rookie minimum anyway.

Of course, none of this guarantees Webb will still make the team. He’s essentially battling Eben Britton and Jonathan Scott right now for the final two offensive line roster spots. Scott has missed most of training camp with a bad knee, but could return this week. If healthy, he may have the edge over Britton and Webb just because he might be the only guy the Bears trust to backup Jermon Bushrod at left tackle.

Let the battle begin.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Webb lacking in motivation?????? Haha, was he ever motivated to begin with?

One good fact this article points out is that at this time of the year the Bears have a lot of leverage as far as asking player to take salary cuts if they want to remain with the team. The Bears aren't the only team hard against the cap so most anyone who would be release probably can't count on more than a vet minimum offer based on their years of experience. It'll be interesting to see if any more players are hit with requests for a salary reduction.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Despite taking a 50% salary cut the bad news hasn't fazed Webb's public face. He posted this on his Facebook page:
    The season will start soon. I plan on playing on the field just as I always have. I've got great coaches and a solid organization. Don't read between the lines. I'm working hard everyday and I Got this!

No you don't J'Marcus and that's your biggest problem. You never have "gotten it"!
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    Oh I can accept all of that alright it's just that Carimi still has upside as a RT if he ever gets 100% healthy and from the looks of it Webb and Scott have none. I'm good with a guy like Britton probably having as much upside as Carimi but he's had his injury problems as well. And you're right. Carimi would never make it at LT.

But that wasn't really my point. I didn't take his not attending voluntary OTAs as a snub as much as I did his attempt to become 100% healthy before he exposed himself to competition. Based on what you're saying he's probably still struggling some with his recovery but at least he was doing everything he could to become a competent OT again.

Webb on the other hand has never been injured so he lacks that excuse and after three years as a starter at both RT and LT can't even put in enough effort to keep the RT job that was practically handed to him in the offseason. Now to me that's far more of an attitude problem than Carimi blowing off voluntary OTAs in order to get healthy again. Webb is blowing off the entire coaching staff with his failure to put out the effort needed to achieve and yet we're probably still gonna end up keeping him around because we have no other backups at LT besides Scott who has knee issues and is even worse than Webb.

That's what I was getting at.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,870 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,619ß
    To accomplish that you need to go draft heavy on guys from the "U", LOL. They have felony convictions in their DNA. ;)
  13. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Plus remember in Tampa his competition isn't all that great to begin with.
  14. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    Carimi had the talent and personality to be a very good RT. It was unfortunate that he was injured, and it is definitely a loss for us to only recoup a 6th rounder. Webb is a very talented player, but seems fantastically lazy and passive. That is not the kind of player I want on our Oline. I hope at this point that he doesn't make the 53.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,578 / 6 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    803ß
    JP, I disagree. I really think their starting RT, although only a one year player is playing very well.