Week 3: The Good, the bad & the Ugly

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    What did you like, what didn't you like?

The good: The offense. We are seeing things out of the offense we have not seen in ages. They continue to impress and astound me on a weekly basis.

The bad: The tackling. They cannot continue to try to run people over. They NEED to wrap guys up when going for the tackle. Rothlesberger avoided to sure sacks do to lack of wrapping up.

The Ugly: the pass defense. It comes and it goes, but often gets burned. This needs to be addressed this coming week. Especially with Calvin Johnson in the wings.

Thoughts? Your take? Your list?

2. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

The good: Trestman, Cutler and the oline. Very impressive against a decent 3-4 Pittsburgh defense. 6 turnovers, very nice. ;-)

The bad: Dline didn't put enough pressure on Big Ben. Peppers fumble recovery was pretty nice, though.

The ugly: Pass defense was horrible. Big Ben passed for 406 yds, which is unacceptable. Need to change that asap because Stafford and Brees are even better than Big Ben.

Really had a great night. :)

Go Bears!!

3. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

The good: the LB's, specifically DJ Williams, we got to see what the team saw in this guy and why he's starting

The bad: the O not being able to sustain a drive, or score w/out the D turning the ball over; 24 of the 40 points tonight came off turnovers, and 14 from D TD's.

The Ugly: the pass D. w/out Tillman out there, teams just eat it up, hell even w/him out there and hampered by that hammy they are targetting him.

4. Boochee Man

Boochee Man
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Maybe Brees is better. But Stafford is definitely not better than a Superbowl winning QB.

5. little bear

little bear
    Expand Collapse
    Head Coach

Stafford's go-to guy is the best receiver in the NFL. If Big Ben can throw for 400 yds with crappy receivers imagine what Stafford can do with Megatron. Optimus Prime a.k.a. Peanut is gonna a have a busy day next week.

6. mdbearz

mdbearz
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Big Ben makes a lot of teams look silly when it comes to bringing him down. I watch a lot of Steelers Games (because they are locally televised) and when he is healthy he does this to a lot of teams. That kind of pressure on a normal QB would have put a lot of them out of the game.

• Like Like x 1
  7. A-11

A-11
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I am very interested in how the Bears deal with Henry Melton's injury. With so many people playing on one year contracts, I want to understand the reason behind it. Was it to allow a new staff flexibility with personnel next year? Was it to make the salary cap more pliable this year? Is this the way Emery is going to deal with his players, and/or is this Emery's way of saying we aren't committing to anyone unless absolutely required and a steal of a value to the franchise?

If I remember correctly the Bears and Melton were trying to work out a five-year contract with around 18-20 million guaranteed. They did not come to an agreement, and they signed a 8.45 million, one-year deal. I hope his MRI today shows some promising news.
    Emery could have saved ten million + at Henry's expense.

So I'm wondering if Emery and his contract dealings are trending towards the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm also confused on what I think of play for pay. I mean that is the goal *shrug.*

Anyways far as the game goes:

The Good: The offense (especially the line, 'cept when it got ugly). Turnovers. The linebackers, Robbie Gould, Trestman's challenges... Mostly, what you guys already said.

The Bad: Defensive Line. Secondary's consistency. Second half coaching adjustments (Eye test impressions, someone with knowledge could set me straight here).

The Ugly: Pass Rush. One yard runs up the gut. The Steeler's new found 0-3 outlook. (Go Bears)

8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

That's 2 weeks in a row for major blunders on special teams. Both are mo changers and I am not that crazy about Decamillis. The only coach we are missing from last year is Toub. D was playing well at that point even the pass rush and O was playing solid. Those mistakes are game changers and set the tempo of game which we never really got back until way late in the game.

The D line played again not as bad as people want to portray them. Are they bull rush team, no but the hurry 's ups they create do effect the QB's head. It does takes a lot to frazzle big Ben and he was frazzled last night that was because of the D line. A few INT's where because throwing under duress and the fumbles.

I also have never thought Melton was a franchise player. I never like to see a player get hurt but Collins looked solid in the limited time he was in there as a replacement. I have feeling Henry is not getting the deal he was looking for next year. Is he a good player, yes but he's no franchiser. I like the fact this probably means Minter gets geared up next Sunday, he to me looks just like Melton in his early stages. So what I guess I'm saying it's not going to be this huge loss (Melton injury) everyone is making it out to be but, it still sucks he got hurt.

9. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

I agree with mdbearz, most quarterbacks aren't as hard to bring down as Big Ben. Heck, Stafford is a statue in the pocket compared to Ben. Hopefully Peppers recovers enough that we won't miss Melton as much versus the Lions. I don't know how their offensive line is looking, but I know that that our D line typically tears Stafford apart.

10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

The Good: Offensive Line, Robbie Gould, Linebackers especially D.J. Williams, Turnovers, Trestman's first half.

The Bad: Special Teams, D-Line (they weren't THAT awful but they weren't great), Trestman's 2nd half.

The Ugly: Pass Defense, we have to fix this before Calvin Johnson.