Week 3: The Good, the bad & the Ugly

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 23, 2013.

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    What did you like, what didn't you like?

The good: The offense. We are seeing things out of the offense we have not seen in ages. They continue to impress and astound me on a weekly basis.

The bad: The tackling. They cannot continue to try to run people over. They NEED to wrap guys up when going for the tackle. Rothlesberger avoided to sure sacks do to lack of wrapping up.

The Ugly: the pass defense. It comes and it goes, but often gets burned. This needs to be addressed this coming week. Especially with Calvin Johnson in the wings.

Thoughts? Your take? Your list?
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    The good: Trestman, Cutler and the oline. Very impressive against a decent 3-4 Pittsburgh defense. 6 turnovers, very nice. ;-)

The bad: Dline didn't put enough pressure on Big Ben. Peppers fumble recovery was pretty nice, though.

The ugly: Pass defense was horrible. Big Ben passed for 406 yds, which is unacceptable. Need to change that asap because Stafford and Brees are even better than Big Ben.

Really had a great night. :)

Go Bears!!
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    The good: the LB's, specifically DJ Williams, we got to see what the team saw in this guy and why he's starting

The bad: the O not being able to sustain a drive, or score w/out the D turning the ball over; 24 of the 40 points tonight came off turnovers, and 14 from D TD's.

The Ugly: the pass D. w/out Tillman out there, teams just eat it up, hell even w/him out there and hampered by that hammy they are targetting him.
  4. Boochee Man

Boochee Man Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Maybe Brees is better. But Stafford is definitely not better than a Superbowl winning QB.
  5. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    126ß
    Stafford's go-to guy is the best receiver in the NFL. If Big Ben can throw for 400 yds with crappy receivers imagine what Stafford can do with Megatron. Optimus Prime a.k.a. Peanut is gonna a have a busy day next week.
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    Big Ben makes a lot of teams look silly when it comes to bringing him down. I watch a lot of Steelers Games (because they are locally televised) and when he is healthy he does this to a lot of teams. That kind of pressure on a normal QB would have put a lot of them out of the game.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I am very interested in how the Bears deal with Henry Melton's injury. With so many people playing on one year contracts, I want to understand the reason behind it. Was it to allow a new staff flexibility with personnel next year? Was it to make the salary cap more pliable this year? Is this the way Emery is going to deal with his players, and/or is this Emery's way of saying we aren't committing to anyone unless absolutely required and a steal of a value to the franchise?

If I remember correctly the Bears and Melton were trying to work out a five-year contract with around 18-20 million guaranteed. They did not come to an agreement, and they signed a 8.45 million, one-year deal. I hope his MRI today shows some promising news.
    Emery could have saved ten million + at Henry's expense.

So I'm wondering if Emery and his contract dealings are trending towards the good, the bad, and the ugly. I'm also confused on what I think of play for pay. I mean that is the goal *shrug.*

Anyways far as the game goes:

The Good: The offense (especially the line, 'cept when it got ugly). Turnovers. The linebackers, Robbie Gould, Trestman's challenges... Mostly, what you guys already said.

The Bad: Defensive Line. Secondary's consistency. Second half coaching adjustments (Eye test impressions, someone with knowledge could set me straight here).

The Ugly: Pass Rush. One yard runs up the gut. The Steeler's new found 0-3 outlook. (Go Bears)
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    That's 2 weeks in a row for major blunders on special teams. Both are mo changers and I am not that crazy about Decamillis. The only coach we are missing from last year is Toub. D was playing well at that point even the pass rush and O was playing solid. Those mistakes are game changers and set the tempo of game which we never really got back until way late in the game.

The D line played again not as bad as people want to portray them. Are they bull rush team, no but the hurry 's ups they create do effect the QB's head. It does takes a lot to frazzle big Ben and he was frazzled last night that was because of the D line. A few INT's where because throwing under duress and the fumbles.

I also have never thought Melton was a franchise player. I never like to see a player get hurt but Collins looked solid in the limited time he was in there as a replacement. I have feeling Henry is not getting the deal he was looking for next year. Is he a good player, yes but he's no franchiser. I like the fact this probably means Minter gets geared up next Sunday, he to me looks just like Melton in his early stages. So what I guess I'm saying it's not going to be this huge loss (Melton injury) everyone is making it out to be but, it still sucks he got hurt.
  9. zelezo vlk

zelezo vlk Veteran

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with mdbearz, most quarterbacks aren't as hard to bring down as Big Ben. Heck, Stafford is a statue in the pocket compared to Ben. Hopefully Peppers recovers enough that we won't miss Melton as much versus the Lions. I don't know how their offensive line is looking, but I know that that our D line typically tears Stafford apart.
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Good: Offensive Line, Robbie Gould, Linebackers especially D.J. Williams, Turnovers, Trestman's first half.

The Bad: Special Teams, D-Line (they weren't THAT awful but they weren't great), Trestman's 2nd half.

The Ugly: Pass Defense, we have to fix this before Calvin Johnson.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,832 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    87ß
    The Good: Cutler is showing maturity and leadership. As others have pointed out, there were some "firsts" in this game for the team under Trestman, and we came out with a "W"

The Bad: Pass coverage & DL woes.

The Ugly: We lost Melton, a Pro Bowl player for the season, at a position where we were already thin. Peanut Tillman is fighting knee and groin injuries. He's one player we simply can't lose. The defense already has enough issues without having to deal with "life without Peanut" now. Calvin Johnson will own us next weekend if Tillman isn't playing - and playing healthy.
  12. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +493 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    106ß
  13. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Melton loss is a really big loss. However, Paea now moves to his natural DT spot where he was a beast at Oregon.

Defense bails out this team again.

Cutler didn't make mistakes in this one but if it wasn't for the defense we lose this game. Simply didn't make enough plays in the 2nd half.

I wouldn't worry about the pass defense. Big Ben puts up big numbers on a lot of defenses.
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    The same defense that gave up 400+ passing yards?
  15. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You mean the same defense that forced timely turnovers and scored 2TDS and saved us, right? Because that offense crawled into fetal position after Major Wright's pick 6. 10pts from the offense, from that point on, doesn't cut it. 159yds from our QB, against a crap Steelers defense, doesn't cut it.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    So, as long as the defense scores, you don't care if they give up yardage that allows the other team to score?

News flash. If they cannot stop anyone through the air, what are we going to do when we face a real QB with a real WR threat?

The defense may have bailed out Cutler and the offense, but they also bailed themselves out. They need to pick up their jocks and figure out how to stop QBs from throwing the ball all over the field
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think people forget just how good Roethlesberger is. He's not some bum QB. The secondary had a bad game but the defense redeemed itself. I'm more concerned about our offense CONSTANTLY doing virtually shit to help this team out. Game after game, when opponents are truckin the Bears the offense can't be counted on to bail us out. It is a recurring and annoying theme. So much pressure is put on this defense to carry the team game after game. How about Mr. 159yds passing figures out a way to elevate his game and take the pressure off the defense?
  18. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    Well, as has been pointed out, the D gave the Bears a short field. Hard to put up big offensive numbers when you have a short field.

And yes, Ben is a good QB... one of the best active QBs, but he also had an injured hand.
  19. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That dude is always injured. And it shows you just how much better he is than most QBs. Plays through injuries and is still more effective than most QBs that are perfectly healthy. I'm just going to chalk this up to being a very poor game by the Bears D. They took the night off.
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I put Ben in the top 5 or 6