Week 4: Bears lose. Who gets the deflated football?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Who gets the deflated football?

1. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    The whole f'n team.

1) Offense

Cutler was awful. Very inaccurate & made bad decisions on those picks. He missed several open receivers. He also seemed to hold the ball too long but I think that was a result of us max protecting a lot & guys not getting open soon enough if at all.

The OL had their worst game to date which lead to Britten playing a lot. Our running game has been & still is very inconsistent. We seem to break a big run every week but too many times we are stoned at the LOS.

Overall we seemed out of sync on offense. For some reason we saw a lot more max protect today instead of the quick 3 & 5 step passing game.

2) Defense

Terrible against the run & little if any pass rush all game. Peppers had his best game to date but the rest of the DL was pretty much dominated. LBs missed several tackles & the middle of the field seemed open all game. DBs weren't too bad in coverage (although Stafford being inaccurate helped) but missed several tackles in the run game where Bush made them look silly.

What we saw in the 1st half shows what can happen to the defense when we don't force TOs.

3) ST

No impact plays by special teams.We also gave up a big punt return & Hester had zero holes to run through plus a fumble, which we recovered. KO coverage was good but ST were below average today.

4) Coaching

As I said earlier we seemed to use a lot of max protect instead of using the 3-5 step passing game. I'm not sure what the game plan was today but when you get whipped at the LOS on both sides of the ball it usually doesn't matter.

In summary we just got whipped in all phases today. If Stafford was more accurate we would've gave up even more points. Their early FGs were a result of the him missing throws or their receivers dropping them more than us making plays. The funny thing is if the best FG kicker in Chicago Bear history could execute an onside kick I think we would've forced OT.

I also think the crowd noise played a big part in the game.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,334 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    We took a step back in both D and ST. Coaching makes SUCH a big difference.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    And if I remember correctly, Emery asked Hot Rod to stay, and he chose to move on. I wouldn't put this all on Tucker though, the DL isn't what it should be. Wooton, Melton, Shea have done nothing. Peppers is finally starting to look, kinda, like Peppers, but nothing like his prime. Only Paea is having a decent year, but he's asked to stop the run.

Shea is actually becoming a liability, when teams see him out there, they run right at him and he is absolutely useless against the run. If he doesn't turn it around I could well see him also not making the team next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    They should pack that deflated football up "Bad Jay's" butt. Or an inflated one for that matter. He's got the "Bad Rex" gene in him. You never know when "Bad Jay" is going to show up. You can't count on him. He's a better QB than Rex Grossman, but he's still got the "Rex Gene" in him. It's fatal in key games.

We will never win a Super Bowl with him. He has the fatal gene in him.

Jay had time today to play much better than he did. He just got "happy feet" and underthrew, overthrew, and fumbled. He had that EXACT same look in his eyes that I saw in Rex in games where "Bad Rex" arrived. Jay just wasn't clicking mentally. It's a mental breakdown that we see in these games where the wheels fall off for Jay. I don't think anyone (Trestman included) can fix that. It's a fatal flaw.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +646 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    620ß
    Why wait til next year? I have a hard time believing Cornwash would play any worse. He is way faster and stronger than Shea. The Bears must try something with this DL -- not just stand pat with a losing hand.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +570 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    179ß
    Cutler had a bad game. But the d is getting worse every game. they are progressively worse. I blame Tucker. But j has to learn he has a whole game to catch up and quit tryingto do it all in one play.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    D held the Det O to 24 points(minus the O and ST's turnover/long return) and held Det to 2-13 in 3rd down eff. How is that getting worse? The D right now is what it is, good but not great, that happens w/age; and and inj's and bad picks.

Peppers is about 1-2 years away from retirement, Melton got hurt, and Shea is a bust. That means Wooten and Paea are all they have w/upside. Pep actually has played 2 good games in a row now, not great but good. Conte and Wright(minus a pick) had below average games, man I would love to see the Bears get some good Safeties w/upside to eventually replace Wright and Conte, they are good but not special. I digress, this D hasn't been great for years, but it's been all about turn overs and it still is; and when that is the case the O and ST's have to pull their weight. When ST's puts the opposing O on the 1 the D is going to break, when the O turns the ball on the wrong side of the 50, the D is going to Break.

I don't blame Tucker, the DL cannot get pressure, is that his fault? who's the rookie that is just now learning how to play in the NFL; besides Shea? And Shea is playing out of position as a DE, he's a liability. In this D scheme the front 4 have to get pressure for it to succeed, it hasn't, b/c of that Tucker has had to use the CB's and LB's to blitz, which results in wide open pass plays b/c the Cover 2 cannot use them to blitz.

Lets see what happens next year in Mel Tuckers D, not Lovie's.

As for Cutler, this is now 4 OC's, 2 HC's, and no longer is the OL or weapons an excuse. Eventually his play has to be put on him and him alone.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,334 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    434ß
    yeah Ric. I really do believe it is. It is his, and then Trestmans and then Emerys. It is whoevers fault is in charge of it and is not able to fix it. That's just the way it works.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    Cutler takes the blame in the interview, so he knows.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    This ^^^^^^^

Ric, you're right on the money here.
  11. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I don't like Cutler. Have seen enough of him that it would be absolutely OUTRAGEOUS to extend him to a $10 - $15 million annual deal, at the current rate. However, I prefer a 16 game assessment of this guy. So I'll wait and see how he performs the rest of the way.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    Mr D, and that's why I was not going to talk mid season extension talks, and why I'm not willing to say they will live life w/out Cutler next year. It's way to early. But fans have been to enamoured w/his 4th qtr and not his overall play, and his overall play hasn't been great by any stretch; and this game was still a stinker.

BiH, sorry I just have to disagree w/ya. The D asked Tucker to keep the system in place and Tucker and the rest of management was okay w/it. Lovie and his DL, until Hot Rod got here went through a few years of problems, Hot Rod and big money FA Peppers came in and fixed it. Well now Hot Rod is gone, Lovie is gone, and Peppers is not a hot FA anymore, but a nearing retirement Vet. The DL w/Peppers, Melton, Paea, and Wootton and Shea should STILL be able to get pressure, but if they cannot that is not on the coaches, that is on the players, and if the front 4 cannot, then the cover 2 will not work, and the reason they are playing cover 2 is also on the players.
  13. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm curious to see how he responds from here on in. In fact, if Cutler really is a good QB...then he'll play outstanding against the Saints at home. Its what I expect to see if he really is a good QB.

I will say this though...this was a real tough road game. People are too caught up with that Lions record from last year. They are a talented team and they have an outstanding DL. If you win the game in the trenches, its going to be hard for your QB to play well. And for all the trash people talk about Suh...he and fairley showed what a dominant force they are together.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,708 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    I said it last year and this year, that team is good, it's the fact they are head cases(hc, stafford, suh) that prevent them from winning. Stafford playing w/in himself, CJ, the TE duo they have, and now Bush, as well as a fully retooled OL makes them a very dangerous team. Don't count that GB game as an auto loss for them by any means.

I agree, and that Saints D is much improved, still not great, but the Det 2ndry isn't anything special, Cutler has to get back to playing w/in himself and taking what the D gives him and not forcing it. If he does that the Bears could well pull out a win tomorrow.
  15. Warlock

Warlock Rookie

Ratings:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Cutler made too many mistakes and in the end, it was too much to come back from. We all should know and accept that he will make mistakes, every QB does, he needs to continue improving like he has... remember that Cutler would have probably performed significantly worse in a bad outing like today, so there is some improvement IMHO. The positive that I see is... at least Cutler's lows aren't as low as previous seasons. This probably because his supporting cast is better.

I do think some people are freaking out unnecessarily as well. Bad games happen to even the best QBs, it's too soon (in this new scheme and with this new supporting cast), to think the sky is falling. The Lions are a much improved team and deserve some credit for a good game. This doesn't excuse Cutler's bad showing, but let's not make knee-jerk reactions either.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    That's probably the best way to look at it (Cutler). The Detroit DL is incredible. It just grinds salt into the wounds today - because our DL is a train wreck.

I agree the best way to make a final judgement on Jay Cutler is to review his entire body of work at the end of the season. Then make a decision. Trestman has a lot of work to do with this team. The heck of it is, I truly think today's game was "winable" but we gave it away with the turnovers and failure to move the chains on offense.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The problem with Cutler's mistakes is that he just consistently commits them during critical times in the game or during times when the Bears have momentum going for them and he just breaks the team's back with his arrogance, thinking he can make every throw.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    A poor DL is the "kiss of death" for our defense for the season. Trying to fix it after 4 regular season games is like trying to change the engines on an aircraft in flight with a load of scared passengers aboard. Nothing good going to come of that one.

Looks to me like Shea was a mistake in the draft. Pep is getting old and not what he once was. Melton was a key loss (on a line that already was not so good). Could be a long season.
  19. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Rookie

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Looks like it's gonna be the offense's job to carry the team if the defense doesn't improve. Time to see if the offense is (finally) up to the task.
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    452ß
    One other thing. You could see that look in Jay's eyes today that comes when "Bad Jay" has arrived in a game. Do you guys see it? Rex Grossman used to get his version of "The Look" too. When you saw it - you knew - that the guy was going to fall apart in that game (Rex and Jay both). I could see it in Jays eyes today. "The Look"

I think it's a "fear" look. But who knows. I just know that when he gets it, we're toast in that game.