Week 4: Bears lose. Who gets the deflated football?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Who gets the deflated football?

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    I agree. Cutler is going to have some bad games, but we would be 1-3 instead of 3-1 if he had not delivered in the clutch in the 4Q of those 3 games. Matt Schaub blew the game against the Seahawks with a stupid pick-6 today. But he will win some big games, too. Cutler is still the best Bears QB I have seen in my 50 years as a Bears fan -- warts and all!!

Our biggest problem is no pass rush. I don't know if there is a solution, but I WILL blame the coaches if they don't experiment around to find one. Blitz with Briggs and Williams. Bench Shea and try Cornwash and slide Wootton to tackle on 3rd and long. Would that work? Hell, I don't know, but we all see that what they've been doing isn't hacking it!
    • Like Like x 2
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    AMEN!!
    coaching is everything at all levels
  3. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    That's interesting that you brought that up JABF99. I suspect you are or were a police officer?
  4. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +435 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    It really is time to experiment with that D line. After 4 weeks of weak play it's time to do something fast.
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Meh. Get up, dust yourselves off, and get ready for the Saints. The Bears offense, and in particular, the offensive line, were affected by the crowd early and often. Jay and Stafford both started rusty, but the Bears were unable to adjust to the high percentage plays the Lions were throwing their way. Defense didn't do as bad as advertised, and this is obviously a case of the offensive line having a hiccup as it's getting together. Mistakes begat mistakes, and eventually desperation. Saints have a decent defense, but we're at home, and their 3-4 front isn't that fearsome.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    For over 30 years. You can smell fear.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,625 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Jay Cutler has a horrible game. No way around it. But the defense played shit poor as well. The Defensive line sucked, the special teams sucked, the coaching sucked this game as well. Be honest, everything sucked.

Cutler may get the majority of the blame, but the whole team shit the bed this time around
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    For me Benj, I'm just trying to sort out what is "fixable" this season, and what isn't. Some stuff, like the OL, is going to be 100% fine. I actually was encouraged by the OL play, even though they got owned at times. You could see that we have talent there, that will be fine.

The DL though is a talent issue. No fixing that mid-season. So, I'm thinking if that is the case, then how bad will that be for the team this season. My thinking is that this is a serious problem. Bad DL = Bad Defense for 2013. Melton isn't coming back this season. Pep has lost a step (he isn't suddenly bad, but he's not the player he once was). We are crapping ourselves if we think the remaining cast is going to magically become studs this season.

Cutler is the worst issue. I don't think he can be "fixed" - ever. He will always be a good QB in most games, especially against weaker teams. But he has a fatal "head problem" in some games. He actually loses games that are winnable. The game today was against a good opponent. I've been saying that here all week. But this game, in spite of the "D" problems, was winable. This was a game that would have been won - except for Cutler's play. He gave the game away. This Cutler problem is an old one. I don't believe he can be fixed. What we see now, is what we have in him. It's not going to get "fixed" during the season. In fact, I think this may be Cutler's last season in a Bears uniform. We aren't going to win a Super Bowl with a guy who wets the bed in big games.

That's my 2-cents worth anyway :)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    This ^^^^^
  10. Bearcity78

Bearcity78 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This defense has taken a major step back!!! Cutler blew it today for sure but i'm still going to back him because he is still the best option. The special teams always seems to give up that one big play a game as of late. Also i cant remember the last time I have seen a Bears team that was this bad at tackling. So far I am not a big Mel Tucker fan but i am willing to wait till the end of the year to see how this Bears team finishes. I never expected the Bears to march to the super bowl this year but I do expect to see some major improvement offensively and in the player development area. Next up Drew Brees and the Saints with a much improved defense. I hope Mel tucker can figure this shit out by Sunday or were going to get LIT the F up.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,816 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    We all understood that the defense would not get the attention of the past, once we went with an offensive minded head coach. The problem is that the offense is still the Achilles heal in big games with Cutler as our QB. The game today, even with the defensive problems, was winable, but Cutler gave the game to Detroit with the turnovers, under/over throws & basically wetting himself.
  12. Bearcity78

Bearcity78 Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I hear Ya, he did look like the Cutler we are all use to seeing but there just isn't a better option out there and I still think its worth a try to see what Mark Trestman the so called Quarter back whisperer can do with him. After all we gave up alot to get him and its not like he has been in the same system for four years.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß

Yeah Ric. We'll have to respectfully disagree on this one. If as you say "The DL w/Peppers, Melton, Paea, and Wooton and Shea should STILL be able to get get pressure" and they are not, I DO think that when their coach has changed, it then certainly becomes a prime candidate for suspicion. If you don't see it that way, I respect it, but I just don't see it the same way.

Emery is going to have to earn his money this off season again. Is he going to get us Shea #2 or Long #2?
  14. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with this.

I know I'm the newb here, but I was surprised to see a lot of folks calling for Cutlers head after one loss. Even a couple wanted Trestman fired (luckily no one voted for that).

Jay made some mistakes, and it added to the loss. He also was "Mr. 4th Quarter" in the games we did WIN this season so far. The bigger question is can Trestman work with him after the loss? Will he truly be "old Jay" or was it just an off night? I hope they can figure it out.

My bigger worry is the D... They make some awesome plays every now and then. Game WINNING plays. HOWEVER it seems that their defense FUNDAMENTALS are not there. Basic things like tackling are not there. Obviously holes in the D to allow runs. No pass defense. All basics that are missing. I said from the beginning that I think we underestimated the loss of Lovie, Marinelli and Urlacher and their impact on our defense. I think we are starting to see it.

Lets also not forget "luck". Any given Sunday... There was plenty of fumbles but Detroit lucked out and recovered. Even the ball bounces were against us.

Anyhow, that's my take on it. It's still too early to condemn Jay or Trestman, however the defense should be looked at right away..
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,437 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    210ß
    I'd like to point out that, in my world, if you are the qb that was the reason for the team falling behind, then you don't get credit for bringing the team back, and in the Cincy game he was the reason for them being behind. So lets slow the role on "mr 4th qtr".

BiH, I want to see what Tucker can do running his system w/his plays and not trying to use Lovie's playbook. I was against that from the get go b/c I didn't like the D being so turn over dependent. But to appease the D players he went with it; now the players cannot execute and I just don't buy that it's the coaches fault. Tucker gets a bye imo until he gets to run his system and not Lovie's; but if the D is a complete fail, and they decide to move on I'll not be upset w/that either.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +997 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I don't want to back and forth forever Ric -- I'm more than ok with our differences. I respect your thoughts on it. My thing is, wouldn't Tuckers plays have been even worse for a group that was used to a certain playbook and excelled under it? I mean, same guys, same plays... seems like a coaches dream to take over a top D and keep the players and the scheme. Seems like as much of a sure thing as possible.

I understand where you are coming from ( A guy should be judged on his own D not someone elses --- but I would also say a guy can and should be judged on the ability to take a top D, keep the players, keep the scheme and not have the bottom fall out), but don't get why you think that strategy would be as productive as keeping the old top D strategy. Even if Tuckers D would have been an even better D than we had before, I'm thinking that it would have taken a while to get to the level it needed to be to actually be better.

Anyway.... That's my thinking on it.
  17. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    They pulled out the Bengals game at the last moment. I wouldn't be too proud of that, considering he simply didn't play with any consistency in that game.

And let's talk about that MIN game. Game was closer than it should of been because of how careless Cutler was with the ball, when Allen sacked him and it was run back for 6. Instead of us cruising to victory he made it a nail biter when it shouldn't have been. These are not wins that anyone should be hailing Cutler for. But its typical. Give Cutler all the credit for those 2 wins, when in reality he made them closer than they should have been because of his play and poor handling of the ball.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I'd like to point out that Jay Cutler soils himself inexcusably in key games for long stretches and that's the reason we lost. And that's the reason he hasn't proven himself worthy of a new contract.
  19. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    I would like to point out that all of us OLD BEARS FANS (guys over age 60) have SUFFERED for FOUR DECADES with QB's who couldn't play HALF as well as Cutler. And I DID vote the deflated football to Cutler today.

I would also like to point out that the NFL draft is no panacea. Rex Grossman and Cade McClown were high draft picks. How did that work out? So let's not throw Cutler under the bus until we are prepared to do serious suffering with whatever replaces him.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I remember plenty of terrible Bears QBs too dating back to Bullet Bob Avellini in the 70s. Cutler is the most physically gifted one we have had in my lifetime which makes it all the more frustrating when he goes mentally off the reservation and reverts back to the same bad habits that Trestman is desperately trying to coach out of him. The bottom line is that this is the "decision year" on Cutler as far as a future contract goes and he definitely hurt his case today. Not because we lost but because he was overwhelmingly responsible for the loss. Matt Ryan lost today too and he certainly left some plays on the field but he didn't beat his own team by wetting himself with obvious misses, mental lapses, and 4 turnovers.