Week 4: Bears lose. Who gets the deflated football?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Sep 29, 2013.

?

Who gets the deflated football?

1. Mr. Deliverance

Mr. Deliverance Guest

Ratings:
    +109 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    The Bears wanted McNabb and not having a real GM at the time, opted for the McClown show. As for Rex...anyone that watches college football knows you don't draft Florida QBs. Grossman never should have been a Bear if our people did their homework. He flopped in every big, meaningful game at Florida.

Bears could of had Rodgers but instead they wanted that idiot Cedric Benson, to try and do what Thomas Jones was already doing.

The college game has evolved so much from the days of McClown & Grossman. These QBs come out better groomed and equipped to handle the NFL game. And the '14 draft class is the deepest pool of QB talent, arguably ever.

Cutler being the 'best' QB the Bears have had for decades is just an indictment of how horrible the Bears are at finding a QB. And you don't use that as a reason to hold onto a guy at over $10 million a season to deliver subpar performances year after year. Its just madness to let this guy hold this franchise hostage, simply because the Bears have never had football people that know a shred about unearthing QBs. We do now. And we don't need to live out this Cutler nightmare year after year. That money is better spent elsewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +154 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I shouldn't even read these threads within 48 hours of a team win or loss. You guys are just on an emotional roller coaster, and need to wait until the ride ends. Cutler made some mistakes today. Big deal. The first pick goes to Alshon for not working across the safety's face. Second and third pick are absolutely on Jay, as well as the sack fumble, holding the ball down around his knees. But did any of you guys bother to watch the last 8 minutes? The team showed excellent fight in trying to get back into the game, and if Robbie Gould could do a proper onside kick, we had a low chance but the possibility of tying the game. Did you watch either of the last two Giants games? Those teams QUIT, ours did not, in a very hostile environment when they had been taken to the proverbial woodshed. Jay made some mistakes, but he and the rest of the team fought back hard, and you could see Trestman got that as well. Stop over reacting folks, this wasn't game sixteen with the playoffs on the line. Did you guys see the superbowl MVP throw 5 picks today? What a stinker, I'll bet they are calling for his head too.....
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,749 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    Last 8 min's when Det wasn't playing anymore? Ya sorry that doens't count when looking at anything but the final score, the game was over.
    Gould did look awful on the onside kick; but reality is that if you are relying on the onside kick you're not likely going to win regardless, outside of two near impossible plays to make Gould was money.
    It's Alshon's fault b/c Jay threw into triple coverage?!?!?!? C-mon man. Ya Alshon could have fought more for that ball, but reality is it should have NEVER been thrown. Other then that 1 play, Alshon was money and had the best day of any of our WR's.
    Meanwhile cutler had a 4 turn over game that, at minimum gave Det 10 points, he failed to get a 3rd down conversion when the game was still winnable.

don't think it's over reacting about th egame JBunch, it was a laughable excuse for play top to bottom and fans were stunned by how poorly they played and looked. Now if you're talking about people saying Cutler doesn't get extended, well then ya, but it's one notch on that belt, he needs to play a lot more like he did in the 1st 3 games(really better) and have a whole lot less games like this.
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +651 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    649ß
    You are making my point for me. For as long as I remember, the Bears have been lousy at filling the QB position. QB is a difficult position to draft, and it's easy to play the woulda/coulda/shoulda game with benefit of 20-20 hindsight. A lot of teams passed on Rodgers and Brady, foe example. Conversely, I've seen many high first-round QB picks --not just Bears -- totally flop. We should draft for defense in the first round, because Bears will be drafting middle-to-late in the round and no QB better than Cutler will be available. If I am wrong, then definitely take the kid at Texas A&M, but he will long gone. So, we'd be rolling the dice again on the next Grossman or McClown. No thanks. But I will change my mind if Cutler prices himself out of the market. He needs to leave enough cap room to rebuild the DL. The picture will be clearer by draft day.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,749 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    This is not the previous Bears though David, you have a new McCaskey running HH, and he brought in Emery to run the football team, and Emery hired a guy to develop a qb, Cutler or anyone else. Emery and Trestmans job are to bring in and develop talent, if they cannot get the best out of Cutler, we should just keep Cutler b/c the past regime's couldn't draft a qb?

That's basakwards thinking David; that same thinking would have kept Rex and Orton on the team instead of trading for Cutler.
  6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +651 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    649ß
    Nope, I was thrilled by the Cutler trade. I knew we were getting the best QB in a Bears uniform in decades. There's a big difference between getting a proven player via trade or free agent vs. betting the farm on a late first-round QB draft prospect. Eventually, we may have to do that, but don't take that risk until forced into it by circumstances. That doesn't mean I wouldn't take a QB somewhere in the draft in 2014 -- but not #1 priority unless Cutler holds out for $100 million or such.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,749 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    betting the farm? A bit over dramatic isn't it? Is that what GB did when they had Farve and got the likes of Rogers and Hassleback to name a few?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +139 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Cutler... 3 INT's? So many bad throws? Yea... you're gonna have a hard time if your QB plays like shit... How many times didn't one of our WR's/TE get wide open and Bad Jay either overthrow or underthrow it.. Would have been winable if he had played like he had done in the previous games.

Anyone know why Good Jay deciced to stay home?

Didnt pay much attention to the 4 quarter but when you are 0/7 on 3rd downs that's shit.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +601 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Just re-watched the game and everyone needs to take a deep breath because if your reading this that means it still a good day. Yes there was a lot of bad but believe it or not there was a lot of good as well. We have 2 legit #1 receivers and I believe in the near future the pupil will become the teacher and he already is in a way in Alshon. O line played well real well even though fumble which was all Jay's. Jay had some really bad throws but he also had a few really good throws that will be forgotten because he played so horrendous.

D gave up to many major runs but stops were occurring and turnovers were occurring when needed. However, on a few turns the ball no bounce our way.

O in the 4th quarter they ran the hurry up well and the O line was stellar we need to start trying to go to this earlier in the games. I know we tried this on the Bengals but than the O line wasn't as jelled as they are now. Cutty also was doing better with that play in the faster rhythm so it's time to retry this especially against Saints.

So again not as bad as the doom and gloomers are saying slight meltdown but positives could be found. So when you 1st watch you think there's no hope but lot of good stuff was lost in this games overall play. This game was nothing even close to comparable to the SanFran meltdown.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I just think "one" game of "Old Jay" is cause for panic. I still say the Defense is more at fault overall. Sure Jay made a lot of mistakes, but overall the D has been weak from day one. I say we lost something when we lost Lovie, Marinelli and Urlacher. People are avoiding that, but that's the main difference this year.

As far as Jay goes, I do say this is the MAKE or BREAK year for him. But like a lot of of fans here said, there are many more BAD years of QBs then good years for us. Sure this loss hurt, but imagine if we switch up quarterbacks now, it may be SEVERAL seasons before we get a great one. I'm not getting any younger, I'm tired of waiting.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,130 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    161ß
    The 1st pick was the only TO I am willing to cut Jay some slack on. He stared down Jeffery a bit too much and led him a bit too far but the DB made a great break on the ball and a good play. I'll let that one go.

The 2nd INT was classic Bad Jay. He tossed a wounded duck off his back foot into double coverage that was way under thrown. It would have been a miracle if it WASN'T picked off. I can live with the occasional deep shot that gets picked and becomes a punt in effect. This floater was so short that Marshall couldn't even make the tackle and the DB returned it all the way to the 2. 7 points to the Lions gift-wrapped.

The 3rd INT was a miss so bad (and Jeffery was wide open in a zone crease for a 3rd down conversion that would have been big) that it sailed 10 yards past the receiver. AJ didn't even bother trying to jump it was so horribly off target. Like a home run ball hit so far over the fence that the outfielder doesn't even bother to turn around and look. Jeffery's body language was classic afterwards: like, "dude, wtf kind of pass was that?"

The 4th TO was entirely due to Cutler's annoying habit of being lose with the ball, holding it too long, and seemingly forgetting everything Trestman has been trying to teach him about pocket awareness and timing. Of the 3 sacks allowed, at least 2 of them were on Jay for standing there deer in headlights style and not either scrambling or throwing it away after that little clock in his head should have been flashing red. He now has two sack fumbles both returned for defensive TDs.

Yeah, I'm glad the team fought back and didn't quit but the game was over by then and no way those yards and TDs carry the same weight as they would have before the D starting playing just to get the game over with a huge lead.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mel Tucker should market that Invisible After Shave he's been using. It's working wonders keeping him out of the spotlight for the most part.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,749 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    Mel Tuckers D, minus the 4 TO's and KR return to the 1 held the Lions to 24 points and held the most dangerous WR to 44 yards and held that O to 2 3rd down conversions, ya he's the problem.

And people are griping on the poor takling and his D giving up huge plays. But when your QB is invisable for 3 qtr's and only shows up in the 4th once the game is over, well he's going to get more blame.

No one is talking about the horrid game Marshal had either, why is no one complaining about that?
  14. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    589ß
    And Reggie Bush running for 139 yards, and Lions picking up 23 first downs.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,749 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    724ß
    Ya, but it's a pick your poison O now they were facing. Do you let them carve you up w/CJ and the TE's or do you let Reggie Bush beat you and w/all that he only had 1 TD.

of the 2 options I'd take Reggie Bush. I've spent my time defending Tucker, and the D but I do have to question why he decided to move Paea off NT and to DT for Collins to move to NT. Paea has been stout at NT against the run, so why allow that to change? I know Melton getting hurt was a problem, but moving Paea shouldn't have been the answer.
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    493ß
    I look at it from the standpoint of:

1. What can be fixed this season as we move ahead?

2. What can't be fixed this season as we move ahead?

There were some positives in this game. The OL is one of them.

The DL may not be fixable until the off-season. If so, then what is the impact of that? How important is the DL to the defensive scheme we run?
  17. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +573 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    181ß
    I'm afraid the DL is the most important piece of our defensive scheme. Without pressure on the QB, the secondary can't keep sufficient pressure on the deep receivers throughout the length of the play, and the LBs have too many options to cover in the medium - short zone. With the rules protecting the offense, the defense is at a serious disadvantage already. We absolutely need to pressure the QB. Covering for the inadequate DL with blitzes can be deadly to us against QBs like Drew Brees lobbing the ball over the blitzers.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Working wonders. Has made his D invisible too.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    493ß
    I know one thing. The games where Jay falls apart are making me crazier than I already am :-)

I just want the "Bad Jay" to get exorcised. Maybe Trestman can try bringing in an exorcist. Anything to keep "Good Jay" here on game days.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +601 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    243ß
    Cutler has the greatest ability of all to lose the game or win the game. Could be worse we could have Ponder whose only ability is to lose the game. IF IF we could have the 4th quarter Jay in quarters 2 and 3 he's the hero again. That's why we have him not too many better options available and if you think there are ask Minnesota, Jacksonville, and the other 15+ teams.