Week to go Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 2, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Okay so I wasn't planning on doing another one, but Emery's presser solidified somethings, IF they are to be believed:
    1) Ratty/Houston are in the DT rotation, along w/Collins that's 3 guys
    2) They've changed their strategy of scouting looking for bigger=better
    3) S is VERY thin, there are the first 2(people assume Dix/Pryor but he didn't say that) and then there is a significant drop after that, to the point that they are looking for a CB to convert to S.
    4) He's not planning on drafting a qb after the 3rd round, not that he won't, but not after the 3rd.
    5) He's narrowed the first round to 6 players, and will be happy if 2 or 3 are still there.
    6) Emery either sees no chance of Donald being there, or isn't interested in him b/c he doesn't fit the Bigger=Better mold, again this is assuming the presser wasn't a ton of blown smoke.
    7) Only one LB has been given assurance they have a starting job, Briggs and he's hurt.
    Also, not pat of the presser,
    There is a theory they want a legit backup rb, lets assume that's correct also, we'll replace that w/the TE need b/c of the signing of Mulligan
    Looking at back his drafts, guys w/"versatility" he's drafted:
    Shea, DE/OLB first round
    Hardin C/S(in their evaluation) 3rd round
    E-Rod TE/H-Back 4th round
    Long G/T 1st round
    Bostic ILB/OLB 2nd round
    Corny Wash DE/OLB 6th round
    The only outliers early were Jeffery(WR), Greene(who was always considered OLB). Emery is in fact a fan of versatility, for better or worse.

I'm not going to do a write up, I think we all know these players by now:

14 Here's my best guess at the 6 guys they think my be there in no paticular order: Pryor/Dix/Donald/Hagemen/Gilbert/Mosely
    If he thinks only 2 or 3 are going to be there, then I'm guessing he thinks those 3 will be Pryor/Hagemen/Mosely
    He said there is a big drop off between the top 2 S's and the rest of the S's, but he loves versatility which Hagemen/Mosely fit better to his style. At the end of the day I think he goes Pryor S, but it wouldn't surprise me if he went w/the other 2. Pryor imo is 1 of the 2 S's Emery talks about and will be a surefire day 1 starter.

51 Keith McGill CB, here is a big 6'3" guy that could convert to S, at least for 1 year before he gets his shot to start at CB whenTillman retires.

82 Tom Savage QB, he's a big guy at 6'4" 228lbs w/a good arm and good pocket pressence. If Emery wants a qb that can come in and compete for the backup job w/Palmer(btw Palmer hails from the late rounds tht didn't develop any starters that Emery pointed out) then Savage might be his guy. He ran a pro style O in college completing over 60% of his passes

117 Carium Ried DT 6'2 302, it was reported the Bears showed real interest in Ried, Emery also said the new staff/scouting equate to bigger=better. Ried had a good senior bowl and combine showing quickness for someone his size, and the ability to beat player linemen w/power. A lot of teams are showing interest and have him at a 2nd day grade. I can see them using him at DT and NT next to Rattliff and Houston or in replacement of them.

156 Lorenzo Taliafarra RB, 6'0" 229 lb, ran a 4.58, averaging over 6.0+ ypc his senior year and showed the ability to pick up blitzes at the senior bowl, he also has the ability to catch out of the backfield.

183 Bruce Gaston DT 6'2" 303 another big physical guy that can get behind the line and cause havoc, he's better at controlling his gap and stopping the run, so I could see the team looking at him as more of a NT along w/Paea.

191 Pat O'Donnell P, speaking of positions that have sucked for years, that the Bears need to shore up, O'Donnell has a big leg averaging over 47ypp w/a long of 71.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    Excellent choice, bro. I love it. :thumb:
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Pretty good...I like it...except I don't think they're drafting a punter. Just some inside knowledge I may or may not have. I could be wrong.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    roster:

Cutler/Palmer/Savage
    Forte/Taliafarra/Ford
    Fiametta
    Bennett/Mulligan/Rosario/Fendi
    Marshal/Jeffery/Wilson/Weems/Hixon/Tolliver
    Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Britton/Gaines
    Slauson/Long/DeLaPuenta/Brown/Boggs
    Garza/DeLaPuenta/Boggs

Ratliff/Collins/Houston/Ried
    Paea/Ratliff/Gaston
    Allen/Houston/Young/Bass/CornyWash
    Briggs/Shea/Greene/Bostic
    Williams/Bostic
    Jennings/Tillman/Frey/McGill/Hurst
    Conte/Pryor/Mundy/Steltz/Manning/McGill
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    I don't think they'll draft a punter either, but the reality is that a 6th rounder is a flyer no matter what, and he's probably one of the best punters in the draft...and I wanted to go a little out of the box.
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    529ß
    Pretty reasonable assessment, again assuming Emery is telling it straight and not blowing smoke yesterday.

I'm not sure who Phil is so confident of to take Donald ahead of us. NYG? Detroit? Someone trading up ahead? But he was pretty clear (as much as one can be reading between the lines) that he isn't planning on AD being there, isn't interested in him, or is doing a masterful job of disguising his interest.

My best guess is that Pryor is his #1 realistic target. If Dix and Pryor are both gone, I'm gonna guess he tries to swing a small trade down to net an extra 3rd-4th and then takes Hageman. Then you would have some extra ammo to move up in the 2nd to get Ward. For some reason Hageman SCREAMS EMERY-PICK to me in the mold of KLong last year.

If Phil is being upfront about his QB plans (top 3 rounds or not at all) then I don't want to draft one at all this year. We have way too many D needs now and in the near future to use a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a luxury. We need DT, S, CB, and LB help/depth and let's face it like it or not Jay Cutler wasn't paid $54m to be anything but the STARTER the next 3 years. It's his job sink or swim at least 3 more seasons barring major injury.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    MP, I personally think TB will take Donald, Donald is the prototypical Lovie 2 DT.

Hagement/Tuitt are the guys that really just jump off the page at me as Emery guys, if he were to drop back, Im guessing those would be his targets, it's not like Emery would care that Tuitt is a early 2 round grade either.

I don't consider backup qb a luxury pick; not when Cutler missing 2-3 games every year, it feels like that anyways. And Palmer doesn't fit the bill for what Emery described either, if McCown was still here, a 3rd round drafted guy I wouldn't have taken a QB either. But if Emery is really a stat guy like he claims, then Palmer isn't his backup either so I ran with it, I don't think it will happen either though. I don't think Savage is capable of stealing the starting role, but I do think he'd fill in as backup better the Palmer.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +936 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    783ß
    Hearing some teams want Ealy to put on 15 pounds and play DT. Hmmmmmm......
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Does that sound like an Emery guy? DT/DE instead of DE/OLB? He's 6'4" 273 right now Unlike Shea, putting 15 lbs on would put him at 290. Still seems a bit small, and sounds like he's a really refined DE using more speed then power. But it would definately not surprise me.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    529ß
    Donald is a PERFECT FIT in Tampa I agree but they already have one of the best 3Ts in the NFL. And they need OFFENSE way more than defense.

I agree that Hageman (maybe Tuitt too, I just don't know him as well and I think he's had an injury) seem like "Emery guys" on the surface due to versatility and upside. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if RH is the guy somewhere in the 1st.

But if it's "top 3 rounds only" I can't justify taking a QB this year. We don't need to "develop a starter". I know you hate Cutler but face it his contract says he's the guy for at least 3 years. We would be looking for a #3/#2 guy only at this point. The time to draft a successor is still a year or two away. And we really need those 1st-3rd round picks this year for defense,
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    I don't hate Cutler, I don't think he's, or any of the tier 2 guys are worth 20mil and the backwards thinking that if you don't have a qb you cannot win, therefore you have to accept the substandard anti SB winning play of those teir 2 qb's at any cost.
    What I hate shitty vet backups that cost more then, and have less potential then young hight potential backups who could net you draft picks down the road. It's not about developing a new starter after Cutler, it's about having a player that can actually play at a high level when Cutler goes down.

As for Tampa, that's a valid point but again in general you see the best DT go before the 10th, it's not 100%, but it does happen. And while TB NEEDS O, it's never stopped Lo vie from going D before.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    529ß
    Unless you have one of the elite QBs (and there's only a handful) you have no choice. I suppose you could go through a revolving door of draftee QBs until you finally found one that "hit". In the meantime, expect to have a lot of pissed off fans and 4-5 win seasons.

Taking Emery at his word, he doesn't see much value in using a draft pick on a late round scrub QB a la Enderle who was a waste. That seems to be what he is saying. So I'd rather shore up the D with our high picks this year and then look to spend maybe a 2nd-3rd next year on a QB to groom.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    MP, but it's like the cubs mantra "next year" There are always going to be other areas of need to shore up. Next year ILB/CB/S are still going to need to be looked at, Probably TE and WR, possibly RB.

No team is ever going to be 100% complete, and QB should never be looked at as "luxury" at least not when your starter is guaranteed to miss games.
  14. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,011 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,155ß
    :thumbsup24:

15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,492 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    529ß
    I understand your point, Ric. Yeah, I'd like to have cake and ice cream every draft too. But you're talking about using a high pick on a guy who has virtually ZERO chance of being a starter for 3 years minimum unless there's a major injury scenario. It's quite obvious that they are very comfortable with Palmer as the vet #2.

They will probably pick up a udfa QB to store on the PS and go with just 2 on the regular roster. Drafting one in the 3rd would definitely require keeping 3. Man, we need a DL, a S, and a CB way before we need a 3rd QB.
  16. butka

butka Veteran

Ratings:
    +133 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Regarding Donald in Tampa. I think if Lovie had a creative bone in his body (and I'm not so sure he does), I would think about drafting Donald at 7. He fits the Tampa 2 perfectly. Yeah, they have Gerald McCoy already, but there's no reason McCoy can't be kicked to a 1 and have both of them out there on passing downs... sort of along the lines of what the Giants started with their Nascar package (having 3 or 4 DEs on the line for passing downs). Also, I think in the right matchups, you could bring Donald off the edge. But again, I'm not sure I can see Lovie thinking outside the box, unless he grew a little in his time away from football.
    Last edited: May 2, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    MP, again I don't THINK they'll draft a qb, but it won't hurt them to draft one either, b/c while he won't be a starter, he'll see significant time on the field starting b/c of Cutlers problems staying on the field.

When you look at how that mock broke, you cannot say anything, other then ILB was not given attention to.

Butka, if nothing else that is a hell of a 1-2 punch of a DT rotation, potentially 0 dropoff. And like you said, on passing downs those 2 next to eachother could be devestating.
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    You may want to add Louis Nix in the top 6. Just sayin. Not sure who to take out, but it may be Donald as Emery does not seem to have interest unless truley blowing smoke.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,690 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    BS I thought about it, but if he only thinks 2-3 guys are going to be there at 14, then I had to think who would be must haves or were versitle, I went w/Mosely or Nix.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I'd draft a TE or LB well before a developmental qb. I'd also draft a WR well before one.