Week to go Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 2, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    BS, I cannot remember where I read it, but a lot of our impact FA moves didn't come in the first few weeks last year, I think they are thinking that cut downs this year might have that same impact, I think they are hoping to find this years James Anderson/Slauson/DJ Williams w/those possible pickups.

Grizz, that's my thing, how anyone can call QB2 w/Cutlers history a luxury is beyond me. And Palmer fits into the no starting qb's after the 3rd round in the since Cutler was drafted, Emery w/out thinking about it, called his own qb2 a scrub.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    Ric - I'm too lazy to check and I can't remember, but I thought those guys were picked up in the pre-draft FA. They were picked up in the post-draft FA? If so, that means we can probably expect good things in the FA still to come.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I've said that for some time now. Sometimes we get hung up on the whole McCown thing and think that Trestman will turn any underpreforming qb into a productive starter if Cutler goes down. I don't want to see all this Offseason overhaul and all the high hopes derailed by a Cutler injury and come to find out Palmer can't win us games......with no other option to look to. If we get a high quality guy then we can have an honest TC battle, with two guys pushing each other all year.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    I really liked what I heard him say. The fact that he did the research and found that virtually no post 2nd round QBs have been able to be developed along with his contention that you only pick a development QB if you think he is going to be better than what you already have is absolutely the right position to take.
    I like his thought process.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    I'd like to think the same, but so far his record is 1 out of 1. Yes, it's perfect, but it's not a trend. I never expected McCown to play as well as he did and I have no doubt that Trestman was the major factor there, but until I see him polish more than one turd, I'm going to take a wait and see attitude.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I think we have to many other needs this year and its a risk thing. Drafting a QB in rd 6 like Logan Thomas is not going to probably help this year as Palmer would still be the QB2. He may surprise us, but if he doesn't take a QB in first few rounds they will not be able to compete with Palmer. Thats pretty much how I interpreted his comments and the other needs are more critical needs than a what if need. Much like TE position, you can only do so much in a draft.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    Well to be fair Emery said he doesn't see the point of a "developmental project" past the 3rd round anyways so it won't happen needs or otherwise.

Again w/this mock it was more about IF they could take a qb in rd 3 and how it would effect their ability to fill needs, and I don't think it really did.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    Grizz, I'm not doubting that QB2 is important especially to us given that Cutler hasn't played a full 16 games since 2009. And yes Palmer is a big ? there just like McCown was a year ago. Based on Emery's comments and taking them at face value (which is a leap of faith admittedly), he sees little purpose in drafting a QB past round 3. And since pretty much everyone knows Defense is gonna be a much higher draft priority for us than Offense this week, I'm merely making a logical assumption that...

A) the first three picks are much more likely to go towards shoring up needs at DL, CB, S, LB, etc
    B) and that Emery isn't going to pull an Enderle or Lefevour on a QB in the back half.

That's all I'm saying about drafting a QB being a "luxury" this year. In the absolute, it isn't a luxury, I agree. But under the current set of circumstances, all things considered, it kinda is for right now. Yeah, you can construct mock drafts where you shoehorn a Bears QB pick into the 3rd and still seemingly cover everything else but it requires some gymnastics and everything to pretty much fall into line perfectly.

If Emery can pull it off, I'm all for it believe me. But I hope he doesn't shortchange rebuilding the D to get a QB who will be a #3 this year and simply occupy a roster spot for 3 seasons. Whether one agrees or not, it's a done deal with Jay. His guaranteed contract structure says he's the starter through 2016 barring major injury or total meltdown.

A few years ago the Pats drafted Mallett in the 3rd I believe. He was thought of IIRC as a 2nd round worthy talent who fell a bit due to character concerns. I don't think he's played hardly at all and is now in his contract year. And the Pats haven't been able to leverage him for picks in a trade although it's been rumored that they've "shopped him". Seems like most other teams, even the QB needy ones, weren't willing to give up much for him. He will be a FA next March anyway if NE doesn't re-sign him.

My best guess, and that's all it is based on the above, is that Emery's longer term plan is to go with a vet #2 this year (just like he's done the 2 previous seasons with varied success), go D-heavy in the front half of this years draft, and put off drafting a QB until next year when hopefully he "can do it right" (ie, expend a 2nd-3rd round pick). It's not like either McCown or Palmer cost all that much for now.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    I even got the impression that he felt a #3 pick at QB was not a good investment. I think we are looking at a year where we can spend a 1st or 2nd on a QB. Not sure what our needs will be next year, but without the benefit of the draft this year, post draft this year and pre draft next year... we might still be looking for a S, maybe a DT, maybe a DE, probably a CB, maybe a TE, maybe a LB, and those are if people perform as expected and no serious injuries.
    Not sure we can pull do a #2 next year on a QB either, but who knows.

CB and DE are normally high round picks to be effective. This year a S and LB are also in that category. So you have 2 years of potential 1st and 2nd round picks queued up. But again, Emery does good things in FA. This year is still shrouded in mystery, so trying to figure out the lay of the land next year is near impossible.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    I didn't expect McCown to be anything more than a manager type who hopefully could get you a win or two against a crap team. He WAY outplayed that and could easily have gone 5-0 (6-0 if you count the Washington game) IF the defense had gotten just a few damn stops.

This may be a foolish hope but yeah I do hope we won't have to see whether Trestman can "polish another turd" (which is a great and funny way of putting it) this year. The OL took a huge step last season from horrible to decent so I'm hoping it progresses further this year with Mills and Long making the "jump" that often can happen from rookie to sophomore campaigns. We also have some solid depth there with DLP and Britton and even Brown who all have game day experience.

Bottom line, Cutler needs to stay HEALTHY this year. Meaning 15-16 games. Meaning not taking dumb chances and not holding the ball too long to reduce the risk of injury. He just got a big money LT deal and he needs to play ALL or nearly all of the season.

The McCown thing was the exception, let's face it. Most teams who lose their clear #1 QB for an extended period of time don't end up doing very well. Green Bay went into a tailspin after Rodgers got hurt last year and went thru 3 backups in 6 weeks or so. They ended up .500 and "won" the division only because Chicago and Detroit tripped over their own feet and handed it to them. The way I see it, yeah it's important to have a #2 who can win you a game or two but if you're going to the well for much more than that with your backup, you're season is probably over by New Years anyway.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Got to agree with MP at this point. Nearer the end of Cutlers contract I think you need to start grooming a replacement but since Cutty just signed his deal, I think we have a yr or two and see what we have in Johnson and Palmer.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    here is what people aren't taking into consideration about Emery's comments, and it directly reflects on McCown and Palmer. B/c of his research he doesn't believe you can get a potential starter outside of the 3rd round.
    McCown was drafted in the 3rd round
    Palmer was drafted in the 6th round
    If Emery doesn't believe you can develop qb's after the 3rd round then he cannot truly say that he's okay w/Palmer, who was drafted after the 3rd round.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Ric, I do not believe he is looking at Palmer as a starter, he is a backup. He is comfortable with Palmer in that role. He is not stating Palmer is a starter. Most teams do not have the luxury of having a starting QB on the bench. As Bear fans I think we got spoiled the last few yrs having backups who were previously starters. Granted not solid starters but none the less they were starters. Drafting a QB high now we would have to either re-negotiate the drafted QB's contract or pay the money for the 5th year extend option with out ever seeing what he can do, presuming Cutler does not miss a prolonged period of time.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    I know, but no qb he drafts is going to be drafted to start, merely be the backup. The problem is your backup has to be capable of starting; especially w/Cutler.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    Ric, I did notice that re: Palmer. I think Phil said something along the lines of "past the 3rd round history shows you're not going to get a QB who becomes a long term starter". Or words to that effect. I don't think anybody sees Palmer as anything more that a stopgap backup who hopefully will not be expected to play much in the RS.

My interpretation reading between the lines so to speak is that Emery doesn't want to "draft a career backup". He thinks that's a wasted pick. He is fine with RENTING a vet backup until he can draft a QB high enough up (within the first 3 rounds) that can transition from backup to potential future starter.
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,892 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,211ß
    That's actually a good point. When he said he was comfortable with Palmer, he might have been channeling his inner Lovie and going with the standard GM-speak.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    MP, that might be, but that wasn't answering the question that was asked either. The question was about grabbing a developmental qb, not one to develop into a starter.

all in all, it was probably a long answer that didn't actually answer the question; but it does bring into question Palmer and his real feelings about him.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    399ß
    Well it might have been a long winded politician-style answer I'm sure but I don't know what distinction you're trying to draw in the BOLD statement. So by saying "developmental QB" you mean "I want to draft someone to develop who just can't develop very much"???

I fail to see why you would draft ANY quarterback if you felt his ceiling was too low to ever maybe hopefully become a 1st stringer. [Knowing full well of course that most won't make it that far]. Emery merely threw cold water on the idea that you're gonna find a guy like that past the 3rd (the one in a million Brady case being the very rare exception).

And I don't doubt think for a second that Phil has some sort of unrealistic man-crush on Palmer. He's just a guy they hope can be decent if called upon, that's all.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,326 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,502ß
    No I think the question could have meant the Bears need a quality backup not a scrub, can you do that by developing a late round qb.
  20. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Emery will draft a QB in year three of Cutler's deal if Cutler has shown he's not going to make it as the long term starter.

He will not draft a QB to play backup when he can just sign one. He's not looking to draft a Kirk Cousins. He looking to sign a Jim Sorgi, and he's already got him on the roster with Palmer.