Week to go Mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, May 2, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I understand people think QB2 is a ? this year, but I've said this before and I'll say it again...it was a huge ? last year too! Further, if you're expecting that type of performance to happen again, I think you'll end up disappointed. Not even McCown can repeat what he did last year. It was the very definition of lightening in a bottle.
  2. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    And we frankly got lucky last year. I for one, do not want to see our luck run out trying to turn another career backup into a guy who can step in and win a chunk of games for us when Cutler gets hurt.
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    The Bears can opt out after year 3, so waiting until year 3 would be a bit of a risk. No, my guess is Emery has his eye on a few QBs this year and will next year, and next. Just saying we are waiting until year 3 no questions asked isn't very realistic IMO, if we get a great value or a guy Emery and more importantly, Trestman likes I bet he pulls the trigger. I don't think they are going to leave QB to chance and just hope if Cutler isn't going past year 3 that we can find a QB that year. Not to say we will find someone who fits this year, but if an opportunity knocks I bet we answer.

Mettenberger and Thomas are on the top of my watch list. If their on the board Mettenberger in the 3rd or Thomas in the 4th/5th wouldn't shock me at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I understand that, but thats whats available. It's not like there is a bunch of proven winners out there, and the same can be said about the draft. Just because a guy is drafted top 3 rounds does not mean he will be successful. And frankly we have too many other needs to draft a qb in the top 3 rounds. I know people will point to the Green Bay 05 draft, but they had to pick Rodgers because there was a lot of talk about Farve retiring and Rodgers unbelievably fell to them. We don't need to draft a qb like they did. Now if we were at 24, like they were, and didn't have the glaring needs, like they didn't...this would be a different story.

Bottom line is, no qb signed in free agency this year, and no qb drafted is going to be the slam dunk. Here is what was/is available...? marks abound!!:

1. Michael Vick (Signed one-year, $5M deal with NYJ)
    2. Mark Sanchez (Signed one-year, $2.25M deal with PHI)
    3. Josh McCown (Signed two-year, $10M deal with TB)
    4. Matt Cassel (Re-signed two-year, $10M deal with MIN)
    5. Josh Freeman (Signed one-year deal with NYG)
    6. Shaun Hill (Signed one-year, $1.75M deal with STL)
    7. Ryan Fitzpatrick (Signed two-year, $7.5M deal with HOU)
    8. Jason Campbell (Signed one-year, $1.5M deal with CIN)
    9. Chad Henne (Re-signed two-year, $8M deal with JAX)
    10. Tarvaris Jackson (Re-signed one-year, $1.25M deal with SEA)
    11. Kevin Kolb
    12. Brandon Weeden (Signed two-year, $1.53M deal with DAL)
    13. Colt McCoy (Signed one-year, $795K deal with WAS)
    14. Matt Flynn (Re-signed one-year deal with GB)
    15. Kellen Clemens (Signed two-year, $3M deal with SD)
    16. Luke McCown (Re-signed one-year, $920K deal with NO)
    17. Derek Anderson (Re-signed two-year, $2.564M deal with CAR)
    18. David Garrard
    19. Dan Orlovsky (Signed one-year, $920K deal with DET)
    20. Rex Grossman
    21. Curtis Painter (Re-signed one-year, $795K deal with NYG)
    22. Charlie Whitehurst (Signed two-year, $4M deal with TEN)
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I wouldn't mind Thomas in the 5th.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Ideally I'd like to be a position to spend a 2nd rounder on a promising QB prospect in 2015.
  7. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    They aren't just hoping Cutler makes it to the third year of his contract. I'm sure they are hoping for more than three years because the contract is for 7, and he's only 30.

I think a lot of posters thinking that the Bears are going to draft a QB is because they have a favorite player and are hoping to continue to follow them on the Bears. When the GM says in a press conference that he thinks drafting a project QB is a waste after the third round, I would think Mettenberger and Thomas aren't on their board at all. I think if one of those guys were around late in the draft, Emery would shop the pick.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    Regarding the QB issue, Trestman may be able to repeat the success we had with McCown with another veteran QB. It will be interesting to see what happens with McCown in another system with Lovie Smith. It wouldn't surprise me if McCown doesn't have the success that he had here in Chicago in Trestman's offense with Trestman's play-calling and schemes. I'm hoping the key to success isn't McCown, but rather Trestman. If that is the case, then hopefully we'll have another solid veteran who can step in and play well-enough to sustain some winning. Not because he's an awesome vet QB, but rather he's a vet that Trestman can prepare to perform adequately in this system. I don't see last season as "luck" but rather the outcome of a solid coach, play-caller, system & some awesome weapons on offense. That's not being lucky. It's being a solid offense.
  9. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Kind of like how our offensive line was really bad in 2012 even though JA had spent 3 million a year on Spencer and was still paying decent cash for Omiyale. We bring in Kromer, who knows what the hell he is doing, jettisons all the dead weight, and picks up a few key FAs and rookies, and blammo, the o-line is fixed

One of acquisitions was Slauson. Slauson was talked about before the season as being a poor choice for a FA. Really. They were able to get him on a one year low dollar prove it deal because Kromer knows what he needed for his line to be successful.

Trestman had Palmer on the roster as the #2 then the #3 when Cutler came back for half a season. That's plenty of time to judge him. If he did not like what he saw during that time, Palmer would not still be here. He had less time to evaluate McCown, but saw what he needed in him to succeed in his offense. I don't see what all the worry is about the backup QB.

The Bears aren't looking for a starter. They are looking for a backup QB that knows how be prepared even though he's not getting reps or attention. Like I said earlier, we need a Jim Sorgi. Someone who knows the offense, is cheap, and is content on the bench.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,811 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    That's how I see it too. We finally have the GM/Coaching talent on offense, that knows what they are doing. Trestman, in particular, knows QB's and how to get the most out of them in his system. This isn't the "Dynamic Duo" anymore in Chicago. Tice and Lovie wouldn't recognize a good QB if he bit them on the backside.

LINK: Remember this Bang cartoon? It's still hilarious :-)

[​IMG]
    Last edited: May 5, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    234ß
    Not many starters as Emery said after rd 3

ROUNDSEL #TEAMPLAYERPOSITIONSCHOOLYEAR
    4102Washington RedskinsKirk CousinsQBMichigan State2012
    4122Philadelphia EaglesMike KafkaQBNorthwestern2010
    4101Dallas CowboysStephen McGeeQBTexas A&M2009
    5160Chicago BearsNathan EnderleQBIdaho2011
    5152Houston TexansT.J YatesQBNorth Carolina2011
    5135Kansas City ChiefsRicky StanziQBIowa2011
    5168San Diego ChargersJonathan CromptonQBTennessee2010
    5155Arizona CardinalsJohn SkeltonQBFordham2010
    5171San Francisco 49ersNate DavisQBBall State2009
    5151New York GiantsRhett BomarQBSam Houston State2009
    5162New York JetsErik AingeQBTennessee2008
    5160Tampa Bay BuccaneersJosh JohnsonQBSan Diego2008
    5156Pittsburgh SteelersDennis DixonQBOregon2008
    5137Minnesota VikingsJohn David BootyQBUSC2008
    5174Baltimore RavensTroy SmithQBOhio State2007
    5151Cincinnati BengalsJeff RoweQBNevada-Reno2007
    5164Pittsburgh SteelersOmar JacobsQBBowling Green State2006
    5148Green Bay PackersIngle MartinQBFurman2006
    6185Arizona CardinalsRyan LindleyQBSan Diego State2012
    6180Baltimore RavensTyrod TaylorQBVirginia Tech2011
    6204Carolina PanthersTony PikeQBCincinnati2010
    6199Minnesota VikingsJoe WebbQBAlabama-Birmingham2010
    6181Chicago BearsDan LeFevourQBCentral Michigan2010
    6176Tennessee TitansRusty SmithQBFlorida Atlantic2010
    6201Indianapolis ColtsCurtis PainterQBPurdue2009
    6196St. Louis RamsKeith NullQBWest Texas A&M2009
    6178Seattle SeahawksMike TeelQBRutgers2009
    6174Denver BroncosTom BrandstaterQBFresno State2009
    6198New York GiantsAndre WoodsonQBKentucky2008
    6186Washington RedskinsColt BrennanQBHawaii2008
    6205Washington RedskinsJordan PalmerQBTexas-El Paso2007
    6194Tampa Bay BuccaneersBruce GradkowskiQBToledo2006
    7253Indianapolis ColtsChandler HarnishQBNorthern Illinois2012
    7243Green Bay PackersB.J. ColemanQBTennessee-Chattanooga2012
    7208New York JetsGreg McElroyQBAlabama2011
    7250New England PatriotsZac RobinsonQBOklahoma State2010
    7239New Orleans SaintsSean CanfieldQBOregon State2010
    7209Buffalo BillsLevi BrownQBTroy2010
    7223Houston TexansAlex BrinkQBWashington State2008
    7209Green Bay PackersMatt FlynnQBLouisiana State2008
    7217Minnesota VikingsTyler ThigpenQBCoastal Carolina2007
    7223Atlanta FalconsD.J. ShockleyQBGeorgia2006
  12. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I've never heard of 75% of those guys.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Mettenberger and Murray are wildcards and could very easily be exceptions to the rule. They would likely both be late first or early 2nd selections if it weren't for late college injuries. They are a concern, but if it checks out that could mean some great value in the 3rd. Thomas was looked at as a potential number one overall pick after his sophomore year by some scouts. The talent around him left Blacksburg and his number never hit his Soph year mark. He's another on that could fly under the radar.
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I think as a fan base we are so used to looking into the future for the next starting QB that we are conditioned to want backup QB competition and not just a guy that can step in in case of injury. Maybe the question you want answered is "What do the Bears do three years from now if Cutler fails?". That's so far in the future it is something the front office could deal with two years from now and not have it be an issue. The coaches are going to focus all their attention on the guy with the biggest contract in the present. Anyone else on the roster is not going to get any attention. McCown didn't. Trestman said that after the Redskins game that he gave McCown very few reps up until that point.

I know posters are saying "We need a guy in case Cutler gets hurt because he always gets hurt." We already have a spare tire in Palmer. Palmer is never going to push to start over Cutler. But if the Bears did draft Mettenberger (which they won't), fans would start to clamor for him to start if Cutler goes through a rough patch. It would be the Grossman/ Orton crusade all over again.

Now, I don't want to say Cutler has an ego that needs to be managed, but Cutler has an ego that needs to be managed. Emery is not bringing in any kind of competition to challenge him. Couple that to his belief that developmental QBs after the 2nd round are a bad bet is what makes me think no QB this year. McCown repeatedly said Jay's the starter, but it was obviously getting under Jay's skin in interviews that Josh was having success in the Bears system and Jay was being called out as to why he wasn't doing as well. The front office have made the decision that Cutler is their guy for three years. Whoever they did draft would have no chance of beating out Cutler's contract. None. He can't compete against that kind of guaranteed money.
    Last edited: May 6, 2014
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +566 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    You sir, got a good point.
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    oh no's not the fans, b/c teams often give 2 shakes what the fans clamor for.
  17. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    They do care what their starting QB thinks. If you sink 54 million guaranteed into a player that in the past has demanded a trade because he was insulted by looking into trading him, maybe they don't make moves that threaten him. Maybe you think Grossman or Orton were not bothered by the fans always wanting the backup to play. Maybe you think Cutler was not bothered by being compared to McCown in interviews.

Ric, it'll all be over soon. The Bears won't draft a QB, and you can start scouring the UDFA wire for the perfect guy to be our practice squad developmental QB.
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    If cutler cares what the fans think about who should be starting, then maybe that's part of his problem.
    Him making 54 mil is what tells you he's going to be starting, and nothing the fans think or do is going to change that.
    They can question if it was wise, but it won't change who is starting. They can take out billboards, have a stadium full of sit Cutler shirts and he's still starting 58 games(if healthy) at minimum.

If they don't then they better hope that Trestman can make Palmer look as good as McCown b/c there is good reason to believe Cutler won't be out there for 16 games; and Id rather have a qb w/an ounce of talent backing up my starter then a scrub w/none.
  19. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This just goes to show the difference between a staff that knows the "O" side of the game as opposed to the previous Bears staff who didn't know squat. These guys "Get It" while Lovie couldn't find a good "OC" if he sat on him !
    I also think Josh will NOT do well in Tampa but that's just MHO.
    :lol 027:
  20. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +321 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I'd rather my backup QB knows the system than be a rookie who doesn't. All a backup needs to do is keep the team at .500 while the starter gets healthy.

And those fans had better hope Palmer can be as prepared as McCown was to play. It's a two way street.

I'm glad you agree that Cutler's 54 million is going to keep him the starter no matter what. Drafting a late round QB that won't have the chance to start and would need to be developed is not smart or something Emery is going to do.