weekend addition mock

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Mar 15, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    So something Sox mentioned about Houston stuck w/me, and it got repeated yesterday by a Chicago beat guy, both said that Donald might spend the majority of his time at DT, which makes the DT area pretty full and the DE still in need of a starter. So this mock is going to represent that possibility.
    W/the signing of Tillman CB is not near the need, but it's not off the list either it's a 1yr deal and Frey is not the long term answer for a starting CB either.

Roster pre draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer
    RB:Forte/Ford
    C:Garza/Boggs
    G:Slauson/Long/Boggs/Brown
    T:Bushrod/Mills/JLong/Brown
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi
    DT/NT:Houston/Paea/Ratliff/Collins
    DE:Young/____/Bass/Houston/Washington
    OLB:Briggs/Bostic/She/Greene
    ILB: DJ/Bostic
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/____
    S:Conte/____/Mundy/____/MDJenn

Draft:
    14: Kony Ealy DE: The Bears need a guy that can rush the passer, while Young and Houston are great run stuffers, nothing about them screams pass rusher, unless you think Shea and his mystery "hurries" was impressive. Ealy fits that bill of pass rusher, while not big 6'5" 275, he's still a solid 15-20 lbs heavier then Shea and Young and he's every bit as fast. The team fills it's biggest DL need w/a 3 down day 1 starting pass rushing DE.

51: Ahmad Dixon SS: The Bears need a starting SS, and they get a instinctive physical player in Dixon, he'll need to learn to keep his cool in the NFL, but considering this coaching staff and guys like Jennings/Tillman in the locker room I don't see that as an issue for the Bears.

82: Zach Mettenburger QB: The team has it's backup QB in Palmer, but he's not the future, Mettenburger has the size Trestman likes and can be a good backup qb w/trade a high pick trade potential in 2-3 years if Cutler is playing well, or could take over if Cutler isn't.

113: Phillip Gaines CB: W/Tillman here for a year the team si going to look for someone that needs a little time to develop but that can see time on the field. He's a big 6ft nearly 200lb cb that also has good speed and is physical. W/the ability to mentor under Jennings and Tillman for a year this kid could be a great starter for years to come.

144: Max Bullough ILB: Max has the natural size you want for your MLB but needs some work. DJ and Bostic or Shea will be in front of him for at least a year but if 2 of these 3 can be built into MLB's while the other can play OLB the team has a good young core of mlb's to depend upon for awhile.

167: Jordan Najvar TE: He's big 6'6" 256 w/room to fill in, he's athletic and quick also for someone this size This guy is Fendi's replacement this year if Fendi doesn't work out, and Rosario's replacement next year if Fendi does.

175: Kenny Ladler FS: He has the size and ball hawking skills you want, but needs work and polish he didn't impress anyone at the combine w/a slow 40. The ceiling might not be really high, but the floor isn't terrible for a team that wants turnovers this guy could fill that role if he can get on the field.

UDFA:
    Trey Burton FB/WR/TE: that's what he's listed at, but I don't see the speed there for a WR or the size for a TE, but the kid can catch a pass, imagine what Trestman could do w/a guy like this coming out of his backfield.

Jerome Smith RB: 5'11" 220lbs, a beefy powerful runner that could be the "short yardage" back the Bears keep overpaying Vets to fail at.

Ashton Dorsey DT: Bears couldn't find a place to draft one b/c of the need to fix other areas, while not the ideal size for an NFL DT, he kind of fits the mold of a Melton, undersized, super athletic and explosive off the line, there's a lot of work that needs to be done to get him into playing position, but he won't be looked at to play much for a few years unless he earns it.

Roster poste draft:
    QB:Cutler/Palmer/Mettenberger
    RB:Forte/Ford/Smith/Burton
    C:Garza/Boggs
    TE: DaOD/Rosario(for now)/Fendi/Najvar
    DT/NT:Houston/Paea/Ratliff/Collins/Dorsey
    DE:Young/Ealy/Bass/Houston/Washington
    ILB: DJ/Bostic/Bullough
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/Frey/Gaines
    S:Conte/Dixon/Mundy/Ladler/MDJenn
  2. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I could live with that.
    :)
  3. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Mattenburger is too early and for some reason I just dont like the kid all that much
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    Mattenburger doesn't have to be liked as he is now, he has to be liked 2-3 years from now after working w/Trestman. McCown wasn't liked his entire career, and rightfully so he sucked balls, he's now being paid like a bridge starter at age 35 less then 2 seasons w/Trestman. Zach has the size and arm strength you want in a qb, even though his mobility is a bit lacking I think w/Trestman and the weapons on this team he could be every bit as successfull as anyone else.

3rd might be a bit to high but he's probably not there 30 picks later either.
  5. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +68 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Goodg mock, thanks for sharing. Do you thunk the two DE added before free agency have a chance of making the team (Trevor Scott or Austen Lane)?
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    Thanks sluggo, I have no idea if they will or won't make the team, but most of these additions are just bodies/st'rs to fill up the roster. So even if they do make the team I wouldn't expect much from either of them.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    That's a pretty solid mock, Ric, nice work. Especially if Ealy could be had with a small trade down to net an extra 3rd or 4th. I like the idea of adding a DL in the 1st as the highest priority. I think you get the best bang for the buck on the DL as long as Emery doesn't make another stupid Shea-like pick.

With McCown gone, you're right we need to draft a QB. Ok, maybe not NEED but SHOULD strongly consider it if Trestman's guy is there wherever that may be. That's gone from a "want" to a definite priority in my mind.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    Not sure you can afford to trade down to much, Ill do a trade down scenerio tomorrow if I get the chance
  9. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,085ß
    I like Ealy in Rd 1. He is ranked 21 on CBS big board. Ealy, Dix, Mosley, (Donald or Jernigan) probable rd 1. I suspect DT is a alternative if nobody else on board. If only DT's left I would not be surprised to see a trade down as either Jernigan or Donald will prob. be taken by Dallas (unless they sign Melton) otherwise one if not both will be there in mid 20's and Ealy may as well unless somebody trades back up to snag them like the 9ers . More DTt's are avail,. later in the draft with minimal change in talent.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    Same scenerio, Bears are looking at Houston as a versitile DT not a DE, so DT is set, and DE is the glaring needd, but as a trade down: Bears trade 14 to SF for 30, 61

30: Stephon Tuitt DT/DE ND: Versitile big and disruptive this is the teams answer to letting Peppers go. The team now has a very versitile DL that can move people all along the line to create the confusion they have talked about all season.

51: Lamarcus Joyner CB/S FSU: Another versitle player for Emery, he's to small for a CB opposite Jennings, but the Bears are are looking at him to play S, and he's fit there. He's smart and instinctive and could play both S positions, plays bigger and more physical then he actually is.

61: Stanley Jean Baptiste CB Neb: Bears get a big physical CB that can shadow Tillman for a year before SJB actually has to start, he'll still get plenty of playing time as he'll instantly jump ahead of Frey as the 3rd CB on the team.

82: Ego Ferguson DT LSU : Bears look to further strengthen the DL by adding another big explosive/disruptive player. Next year when the Bears lose Ratliff and Collins they will have good depth at DT with this pick. He's big and a good run stopper, but isn't bad at pass rushing and backfield disruption also. This is where the team needds to get their rotational depth.

113: Marcus Martin C USC: Bears need a C for the future, and if Boggs isn't it then Martin well could be; he also fits what Kromer likes in his interior OL, which is big which allows for a clean pocket.

144: Stephen Morris QB Miami: not the "ideal size" that Trestman likes, but he's still the best available qb right now and the Bears need someone that can actually backup Cutler for a few years, and he has enough ceiling that if Trestman can develop him like he did McCown could be good trade bate in 2-3 years.

167: Andrew Jackson ILB Wester Kentucky: Bears need a prospect ILB, chances are this won't work and they'll need to address it next year, but this is the time to take shots in the dark.

175: Storm Johnson RB Central FL: Bears need a guy that can be a part of the RB rotation w/the loss of Bush, and Johnson fills a role, he's more of a complete back in that he can also be relied upon to catch a few balls out of the backfield.

UDFA:
    Trey Burton FB/WR/TE: that's what he's listed at, but I don't see the speed there for a WR or the size for a TE, but the kid can catch a pass, imagine what Trestman could do w/a guy like this coming out of his backfield.

CJ Barnett S: The team still needs depth at S, and that they get that w/Barnett he's big and has some speed.

QB:Cutler/Palmer/Morris
    RB:Forte/Ford/Johnson/Burton
    C:Garza/Boggs/Robinson
    TE: DaOD/Rosario/Fendi
    DT/NT:Houston/Paea/Ratliff/Collins/Fersugon/Tuitt
    DE:Young/Tuitt/Bass/Houston/Washington
    ILB: DJ/Bostic/Jackson
    CB:Jennings/Tillman/SJB/Frey
    S:Conte/Joyner/Mundy/MDJenn/Barnett
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    I like that mock (with the trade-down) a lot, Ric. If SF would bite on that trade, that would be a solid plan. As I see it:

High Priority Draft targets
    DL (1-2)*
    S
    CB

* if Wootton or some other vet DL were signed, could get by with 1 DL draft pick. If not, probably need 2

Secondary draft/udfa targets
    ILB
    QB
    TE
    C
    RB
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    The nice thing about SF, is even after they traded some away, they still have like 10 picks, and 4 are in rounds 2 and 3. They can afford to give up a 1st and 2nd possibly even a 7th to help even it all out a little more. The "value" of the trade has it a win for them, but you tell me w/that 1st and 2nd 3rd, if the Bears are better off or not.
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    508ß
    Yeah, they're flush with picks and unlike Cleveland the Niners don't have a ton of needs so it's seems realistic that they might be willing to trade away some to move up. There would have to be someone on the board at #14 they really want cuz Harbaugh isn't stupid. I just don't know who that would be. A Bowman replacement since he's hurt? A Whitner replacement? A WR? Don't know....
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    They lost their CB's this year, and just signed 2 to 1yr deals, so if Gilbert is still there at 14, they might jump for him, and they'd have to do it at 14 b/c Pitt might well have to jump on him.

This is also about the time the run at DT/DE or S is really going to heat up, so if for some reason they feel the need to get in on the top of one of those they might also feel the need to jump in.
  15. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Excellent mock Ric might just buy shots for anyone in arms reach if this worked out this way. While I'm not crazy about Tuitt I do not disagree that Houston could very well play our 3 if Tucker liked him better there. Also don't disagree he's the best de available there.

Just a hypothetical question: What if Pryor falls to 30, would he trump Tuitt for the pick and we replace Joyner with a DE?
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    I would probably not a hard decision, but to be honest I don't like a lot of the DE's in this draft, so it would be hard to replace the last top quality 4-3 DE(imo) in the draft even if it's for a top S.

I personally like Tuitt a lot I like his size and his ability to play up and down the line. I think he's like Wootton w/more upside, and outside of the inj's I liked Wootton a lot.
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,085ß
    Anyword on Wootton I would like to sign him as swing DE and push the draft need back a yr. Let us concentrate on other areas of need.
  18. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    Hell if he is the Bears QB he doesn't have to be like at all ask Cutler or even Rex
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,797ß
    JJ, valid people not liking him might serve him well in Chicago, where he's likely not to be well liked anyways

BSB, nothings going to happen w/Wootton until June/July'ish b/c he won't be cleared until then.