Weight training question....

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by DavidL, Oct 17, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    Do we have any weight training experts here? I have a question.
  2. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    I'm not an expert, but I play one on the internets.

Anyway, what is your question?
  3. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    Actually, before you joined David there was a long and drawn out thread between two members. One was a high school coach and the other was a professional trainer.

Ask your question, and then sit back and watch the fireworks, lol. Both know what they are doing, but don't always agree on the BEST way to train. Maybe since you don't play football it might not be a debate.
  4. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    Okay, here we go. I am nearly 67 years old. I have read that we lose muscle as we age, if we don't lift weights. I run, bike. and hike,but never lifted weights.

For best health results, I have been told that I should begin with a weight I can lift 16 times and work up to 24 reps. Then add weight to get back to where I can do only 16 reps and work to 24 reps, then add more weight, etc. Does this make sense?
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    Lower weight more reps if u want tone.
    Heavier weight less reps if u want bulk .

A ur age u should go the lower weight more reps route . And start slow - otherwise you'll get too sore right off the bat and it'll make u quit .
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    Thanks. So is 16 reps a good number to start with? Then increase weight a bit when I can do 24? That is what was suggested.
  7. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    214ß
    Yeah but add weight gradually - 5 to 10 lb increments when u decide to go up . Make sure ur not straining too much . I know a guy who had a stroke at 46 while lifting . Was going too heavy and the pressure in his head caused it .
  8. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    Thanks. I'll take it easy. I will just add 5 pounds when I get to 24 reps and then cut back to 16 reps until I can do 24.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. gopherguy22

gopherguy22 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have added bulk before and toned before by going low weight high rep, a large part of it is your diet, how many calories you're burning in other activities whether it be exercise/work/gardening etc.
  10. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    David, I agree on high rep/low weight, but just a suggestion: Use free weights, as lifting with them will work the stabilizer muscles that surround your joints and the subtle extra movement will help keep your body better prepared for balance. Machines isolate muscles. Be careful and stay within your capabilities.
  11. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,310 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    593ß
    Also, its good practice to give the specific body part you are working a day or so to heal before attacking it again with weights. Think of your body as going to war whenever you lift weights, the pain you experience is little tears in your muscle fibers as they try and lift the weights, so think of that as losing soldiers in a war of attrition, and you need some time off when you are done to recruit more soldiers (build muscle fibers) so you can come back stronger and fight for longer the next time.
  12. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    Yes, I follow that principle in my running. I think I will start with lifting two times a week.
  13. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +146 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:

Like BDM, I'm no "expert" but I've been lifting for 25 years. I'd say based on your age and the fact that you have never done it before...that sounds like a good plan. I'd really encourage you to get a trainer at your gym to help you. They can show you proper technique and assist with when to increase and where to start.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    I have my wife to teach me technique. She has been lifting longer than you, and was taught by a professional trainer. She is the one who suggested 16>24 plan. I guess I just need to listen to her better than when I tried to teach her golf.;)
    • Like Like x 2
  15. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I get allot of stuff from there

after 30 you start losing testosterone thats why it gets harder and harder to sustain muscle growth. Maybe go to the dr get your testosterone levels checked they might be able to give you testosterone replacement pills which will help you reach your goals. Dont take that stuff without a dr monitoring your levels too much testosterone could develop man titties amongst other health problems
  16. Bearstuff

Ratings:
    +1,079 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    429ß
    mitties or moobs?
    • Like Like x 2
  17. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    he said he is 67 didnt know if he would know what moobs were lol
  18. DavidL

Ratings:
    +653 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    663ß
    I see all those disclaimers on TV about side-effects of testosterone med. I'll pass. But I am going to eat a little more protein.
  19. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,407 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    36ß
    First of all, I wouldnt listen to trckguy, he doesn't know crap about lifting weights. Lol.

Instead of.going into a long winded speech about muscle loss and lifting weights I will simply say this.

It sounds like you eat healthily and are active. I wouldn't be too concerned about slowing muscle loss, but if you do want to lift weights I would take the wife's advice.

Also, don't be afraid of simple bodyweight exercises (pushups, lunges, pullups, etc.) And I think you are spot on with trying two days per week. Lifting causes muscle growth, but they do their growing while resting. At your age it will be beneficial to make sure you are getting enough rest.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just to throw my 2 cents in. While I agree with the principle of using low weight high reps for what you want, I do not agree with the rep range you are looking at. High rep is around 10-15 (as apposed to low rep being <6). From my understanding, if you're doing more than 15, it is effectively an aerobic endurance exercise and has very little to do with growing or maintaining muscle.