Weight training question....

Discussion in 'Anything But Football' started by DavidL, Oct 17, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    When I do 16 with the max weight I can do for that number, it's tough to get the last 2 or 3 reps. I assume that will build and strengthen the muscle. Not true?
  2. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It will still help to keep some muscle, but it's an ineffective way of doing it as its starting to be aerobic. You'll find you start to struggle, not because of lack of strength, but because of the lactic acid that start to comes into the body. Next time you work out, just try to do it with around 16-20 and try to do it with a max weight that will get you around 10. With the 10 may find that when you get to 9 or 10 you will struggle to get them out, but it will feel like you are too weak to lift it. When you try the 16-20, you may find that its more of a burning feeling than a lack of strength.

But it's up to you what you decide to use. So long as you're doing something, it's better than nothing.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    I tried it with 10. I was straining as much to get the 16th when I was using my max 16 weight. I don't question that I get different training effects, but I can't tell the difference subjectively, I am going to listen to wife and stick with 16>24 plan at least until I am comfortable and better with correct technique. She says I am less likely to injure myself with lighter weights.
  4. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    You're never too old to start. If you can walk and breathe you can weight train. 16-24 reps is a bit high, are you saying that you do all those reps at once, or broken down over 2-3 sets?
    Eg.
    Set 1. 10 reps
    Set 2. 8 reps
    Set 3. 6 reps

Rep ranges work as follows:

1-3 reps = Maximum Strength/Power/Bone Density
    3-6 reps = Strength
    6-10 reps = Muscle hypertrophy (Increase in size of the muscle including more fluid, blood, glycogen etc)
    10-20 reps = Some hypertrophy, some endurance
    20-35+ reps = Endurance

*These rep ranges are done as a set. Eg. A set of 3 reps, or a set of 20 reps.

If you're a beginner follow this routine, 2 maybe 3 times a week depending on your recovery:

Squats 3x10
    Bench press 3x8
    Bent over barbell row 3x8
    Overhead press 3x8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3x8
    Barbell curl 3x8

When you get all the reps, add 5lbs. Barbell curl progression will be slower because your bicep is the smallest muscle in your body. Get someone to check over your form to ensure you're doing it in the most mechanically sound and safest way possible.

Light weights will not do much for your physique nor your quality of life. You need to get stronger. Don't be one of those older people that can't even get out of a chair without pulling themselves up or bending down to pick something up and throwing their back out.

Squatting is probably the most functional and real world applicable exercise you can do. As long as you do a deep knee bend, pull something heavy off the ground, and press something heavy overhead, that's all you need to do.

And don't listen to mainstream media for advice on exercise, they are clueless.
  5. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Hi,and welcome to the board!

I do 16 nonstop reps at maximum weight I can do for that number. Then next workout I try to do 17. Next time 18, and so on until I get 24. At that point. I add 5 pounds and drop back to 16 and repeat process. My wife is a serious weight trainer. She is 70 years old in January. She has been doing this exact routine for over 30 years, and she's strong for her age.

I might switch to your suggested program, but I am starting to feel comfortable now with her program, and i haven't had any injuries yet. Still,though, I know my running has me in much better aerobic condition than muscular condition, especially feeling it the last couple years as it gets harder to lift our canoe overhead!

So, here's my question: What is the effect on my body if I do my wife's program 2 or 3 times per week? I just want a program for good muscle health until I am 83. Will this get me there? Thanks a lot. I appreciate the advice.
  6. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    No problems, glad to help.

What is your current routine?

Eg.

Leg press 3x8
    Chest Press 3x8

And the current weight you're using.
  7. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Here is where I am at now (all 16 reps, one set each, twice per week)…

squats/calf raises, 40 lbs. (going real easy on this due to chronic low back problem)
    pull down bar front of body, 70
    ab crunch, 40
    back extensions on Roman chair, no weight
    upright rowing, 50
    leg extensions, 40
    kettle bell, from ground to overhead
    triceps/biceps, 20
    overhead press, 35
    rowing sitting, 50
    bench press, 70
    butterfly, 60
  8. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Any exercise that I omitted, you can drop from your routine. Every muscle group is being hit with the exercises above.

With the rep range, try to do a few sets of 5-8 reps. Smaller muscles like biceps, calves and shoulders, aim for 8-12.

Do the compound lifts first. A compound lift is where you are using multiple muscles/joints to perform a movement. Eg. Squats: You're using quadriceps, hamstrings, glutes, calves/ knees & hips. Bench press: Pecs, deltoids, triceps/ elbow & shoulder joints. Then do your isolation movements at the end. Eg. Biceps, abs, calves.

Here's a good website which demonstrates proper form of all exercises, but if a competent trainer is available to you, it's better to have someone checking over your form while you're doing it.

http://exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
  9. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Given my goals, why is it better to do 3 sets of 5-6 instead of one set of 16? Either way, I am lifting the weight 16 times total. The only difference is whether I do the 16-18 in one set or 3 sets. Right?

My wife was professionally trained. She's been weight-lifting injury-free for over 30 years. She has been teaching/demonstrating form. So far it's working -- no injuries.
  10. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    With 16 reps, the weight will be very light and is more muscular endurance/metabolic conditioning, rather than top end strength. Whereas with reps of 5-6, the load will be greater and as a result, you will gain more strength. Also with high reps, it is telling the muscle to become more energy efficient and smaller as a result.

If you want to get stronger (which I recommend for people of any age, not just "older" people like yourself) you need to perform lower reps with heavier weight. Even if your joints can't handle reps of 5 (The weight will be heavier if you're only aiming for 5 reps compared to 8, 10, 16 etc) go for 8 reps.

You need to use a weight that is heavy enough where you struggle just to make the reps, but not so heavy that your form breaks down, or you're using momentum/body English to lift the weight.
  11. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Okay, so I am going to try this...

Squats 3x10
    Bench press 3x8
    Bent over barbell row 3x8
    Overhead press 3x8
    Stiff leg deadlift 3x8
    Barbell curl 3x8

We have a weight machine and dumbells but no barbell, so I will have to substitute leg extensions/hamstring curls on our weight machine for the deadlift.

Here is what I don't understand about 3x8. If I start with weight I can barely lift 8 times, but can only do 7 in second set and 6 in third set, am I using too much weight or am I not taking enough time between sets?
  12. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Dumbells are fine, but I think you'll find that you'll outgrow them fairly quickly. You don't have a squat rack, or even barbells that are at a fixed weight?

With the 3x8, if you get at least 5-6 reps on your 2nd/3rd set, it's fine. If you're only getting that many on your first set, you started too heavy. When you get all 3x8, increase the weight.

Your progression might looks like this:

8, 6, 5
    8, 7, 5
    8, 8, 6
    8, 8, 8 *Increase next session

Let's say if you get the same reps for 2 sessions in a row:

8, 6, 5
    8, 6, 5

Add an extra set, and push out as many reps as you can, so you've improved on last session.

You need to try and progress each session. This can be done by either:
    -More weight
    -More reps
    -More sets
    -Less rest time
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Our weight machine has over 200 pounds on the stack and adjusts in 5 lb. increments. If I can ever squat that 12 times, I'll declare victory.

What is your recommended maximum/minimum rest time between sets?
  14. [S]alvatore

[S]alvatore Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    While the weights are still light, you can probably get away with a minute, just long enough to catch your breath. Once it starts getting heavy though, you'll probably need 2-3 minutes between sets. Basically enough time to catch your breath, let the lactic acid dissipate and allow your nervous system to recover.

I've included links below to demonstrate the form of each exercise:

Dumbell Front Squat: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Quadriceps/DBFrontSquat.html
    DB Bench press: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/PectoralSternal/DBBenchPress.html
    DB Row: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBBentOverRow.html
    OR

http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGeneral/DBLyingRow.html
    DB Press: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/DeltoidAnterior/DBShoulderPress.html
    DB Stiff leg deadlift: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Hamstrings/DBStrBackStrLegDeadlift.html
    DB curl: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Biceps/DBCurl.html

You can throw in some abs and calves at the end if you want.
    Calf raise: http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/Gastrocnemius/DBStandingCalfRaise.html
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +649 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    633ß
    Okay, thanks! I am ready. I'll check back with you when I run into more questions.