Weight training question....

Discussion in 'The Fan Lounge' started by DavidL, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,628ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Also, its good practice to give the specific body part you are working a day or so to heal before attacking it again with weights. Think of your body as going to war whenever you lift weights, the pain you experience is little tears in your muscle fibers as they try and lift the weights, so think of that as losing soldiers in a war of attrition, and you need some time off when you are done to recruit more soldiers (build muscle fibers) so you can come back stronger and fight for longer the next time.

2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    Yes, I follow that principle in my running. I think I will start with lifting two times a week.

3. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß

Like BDM, I'm no "expert" but I've been lifting for 25 years. I'd say based on your age and the fact that you have never done it before...that sounds like a good plan. I'd really encourage you to get a trainer at your gym to help you. They can show you proper technique and assist with when to increase and where to start.

• Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I have my wife to teach me technique. She has been lifting longer than you, and was taught by a professional trainer. She is the one who suggested 16>24 plan. I guess I just need to listen to her better than when I tried to teach her golf.;)

• Like Like x 2
  5. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp

ßearz ßuckz:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/forumdisplay.php?f=11

I get allot of stuff from there

after 30 you start losing testosterone thats why it gets harder and harder to sustain muscle growth. Maybe go to the dr get your testosterone levels checked they might be able to give you testosterone replacement pills which will help you reach your goals. Dont take that stuff without a dr monitoring your levels too much testosterone could develop man titties amongst other health problems

6. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods.
    Staff Member SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    mitties or moobs?

• Like Like x 2
  7. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp

ßearz ßuckz:
    he said he is 67 didnt know if he would know what moobs were lol

8. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,724ß
    I see all those disclaimers on TV about side-effects of testosterone med. I'll pass. But I am going to eat a little more protein.

9. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    First of all, I wouldnt listen to trckguy, he doesn't know crap about lifting weights. Lol.

Instead of.going into a long winded speech about muscle loss and lifting weights I will simply say this.

It sounds like you eat healthily and are active. I wouldn't be too concerned about slowing muscle loss, but if you do want to lift weights I would take the wife's advice.

Also, don't be afraid of simple bodyweight exercises (pushups, lunges, pullups, etc.) And I think you are spot on with trying two days per week. Lifting causes muscle growth, but they do their growing while resting. At your age it will be beneficial to make sure you are getting enough rest.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GibsonMcQueen

GibsonMcQueen Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    Just to throw my 2 cents in. While I agree with the principle of using low weight high reps for what you want, I do not agree with the rep range you are looking at. High rep is around 10-15 (as apposed to low rep being <6). From my understanding, if you're doing more than 15, it is effectively an aerobic endurance exercise and has very little to do with growing or maintaining muscle.