Well, I'm a hypocrite, and I need to eat some crow....

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    This was on J'Marcus Webb's facebook page:

I'm not gonna jump to any conclusions, other than I'm pretty sure this came from the coaches on down. This is making it really hard to back the dude if he is the weak link early on.....
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Sounds like he got some unwelcome news from Kromer. Like..."your work habits have to improve and your job is far from secure".

If so, frankly long overdue. Webb lived a charmed life under Lovie. How many 7th rounders start from the get-go and all 3 years with little if any real competition? And how many face so little consequences for repeated poor play and mental lapses?

Camp Lovie is over, J'Marcus. Earn and hold your job this season or ride the pine and expect to not be offered a new contract.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,213 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    110ß
    He's still got time, but ****, Preseason starts thursday!!!
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Wonder if he was told that he would not be the starter. Damn I wish even more we had kept Carimi
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    My bet with you might be a shoe in if this is the case ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    254ß
    Well by all accounts The RG and RT have looked like pooh since camp started regardless of who was playing.
    I did hear one good compliment about Webb though, they said he easily stood up Peppers on a play on Friday playing the LT position.
    The kid has the physical tools, he just doesn't seem to have the drive to put in the work to make it in the NFL. Maybe Kromer or Trestman sat his ass down, sounds like someone did.
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +276 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It shouldn't take a wake up call from outside for someone in the NFL, especially now in a contract year. Says a lot about where his head is (either up his ass or in the clouds).

Having said that, I still have much hope for him to hang at RT just fine.
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I'm all for it if that's what happened. Trest reportedly has little tolerance for pre-snap penalties and Webb has been the master of jacking up the snap count. So maybe he's seen that and knows about JW's well deserved rep for mental laxness. When he focuses, you're right he's got the physical tools and can play pretty darn well. But all too often he looks good for a few games and then suddenly plays like he just toked up huge right before the opening kickoff.

Yeah, he needs to take his job more seriously, get off twitter, stay away from fast food pig-outs, and stop making cheesy T-shirt ads. His career is on the line this year and he doesn't have papa Lovie here to coddle him anymore just because they're fellow Texas boys. Buck up and buckle down.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Webb's got a short time to undo some bad habits and get his act together. I think he'll be lucky to be the swing tackle at this rate imo.
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I thought it was odd that Scott was the replacement for bushrod early on, but they obviously had reservation about letting him have reps anywhere else other than RT.
    It has been said over and over that he has the physical tools,but he was coddled. This is exactly the type of wakeup call that he needs.
    Hope it makes him a better player.
    m
  11. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +932 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    233ß
    Funny, I read his message and thought that the coaching staff didn't like him constantly tweeting picks of McD's & so on. Let's face it, those tweets haven't helped public perception of his play.

I didn't think it had anything to do with being benched until someone else mentioned it. Still not sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Yep, you're right that it could be nothing more than the coaching staff telling him to drop the distractions and focus better. Hopefully the message is received because that has definitely been one of Webb's issues (mental laxity) and there's no reason physically that JW cant nail down the RT job starting his 4th year with a coach like Kromer at the helm. We are likely gonna have a rookie or near-rookie starting at RG so we need a solid performance from RT as Long/Brown get their feet wet.
  13. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß

And when it said he would be changing up some things, I just thought he meant KFC instead of Mickie D.
  14. SERE Bear

SERE Bear Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    FWIW J Webb was the only player to get booed by the fans at Soldier Field on Saturday night. He seems like the type that might take that kind of treatment from the home town fans pretty hard.
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Henry. you shouldn't be eating any crow. Nobody wants to see Webb fail and I'm pulling for him but the fella has had 4 YEARS to get it together. Enough already! If he can't land the RT job, is not wanted on the LT just to fill in, and is making many pre-snap penalties I quote Chris Carter "C'mon Man!!"

How many shots on goal has Webb had? Imagine if they gave Hester that many chances at WR like Webb has had. How much screaming would we hear? As a teammate that has to effect a player to see a guy forced fed a position and despite any fail he doesn't lose his job. C'mon man! How many players would kill for that type of gig and improve more than Webb has?

NOW the focus begins-he means business now. LOL whatever, he's had FOUR YEARS. Enough of this marking out b/c of his size and athleticism and remove the bias to look at him for what he actually is--a marginal player at best.
  16. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +416 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think a lot of fans (not saying anyone on here, just the average Bear fan) has a hard time truly judging Webb. Yes, he was bad at times very bad for that matter. This is a make or break year for Webb IMO. He has shown signs of improvement but he will need to take another step this year to stick. I am pulling like hell for him and its kind of a contradiction for fans to be booing him in PS. Let the man go out there and win his stay here in CHI. I hope he goes and earns a contract, but if he shows stagnant play, my guess is we will be looking for a RT next year either via draft or a youngster we have now.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +416 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I think a lot of fans (not saying anyone on here, just the average Bear fan) has a hard time truly judging Webb. Yes, he was bad at times very bad for that matter. This is a make or break year for Webb IMO. He has shown signs of improvement but he will need to take another step this year to stick. I am pulling like hell for him and its kind of a contradiction for fans to be booing him in PS. Let the man go out there and win his stay here in CHI. I hope he goes and earns a contract, but if he shows stagnant play, my guess is we will be looking for a RT next year either via draft or a youngster we have now.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +3,999 / 8 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    203ß
    Well whatever happens, Webb will have either earned his spot, or he wont.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +990 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I hope he succeeds too. Webb is a JA-Lovie guy not an Emery-Trestman guy so the benefit of the doubt time for him is over. I think we can say with high likelihood from our observations of Phil thus far that he will not be offering Webb a new contract unless JW proves himself this year as a solid, quality starter at RT. Mediocre and inconsistent will result in him being shown the door in FA I'm quite sure.
  20. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +416 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß

Totally agree, matter of fact I think that his job at RT isn't completely safe in camp, only problem is that there doesn't seem to be anyone pushing him. Camp is still in the early stages however and it's possible someone opens eyes in PS games and can make a run at his spot. I expect him to be the starter for now and have a chance to earn his spot (I hope for our sake he does) but anything can happen.