What about next draft?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, May 22, 2014.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,285 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    I have always been a person that looks ahead and tries to line things up. After this draft, I couldn't help but start to think about what holes we might have filled and what holes were still to fill. I got to thinking about it because I got excited to see how the draft went and how Emery just focused in on the club needs. I think it is safe to say that if there are needs, Emery will bring people in to try and address them. With as much work as he has done in the last two years, I go to thinking about finally having th luxury of maybe actually starting to move into BPA mode. I don;t think we will be completely there next year, but I do think that there may be some picks that can start to be used that way.

So obviously, as early as things are we don;t know if these guys we brought in will actually fill the needs they were brought in to fill or we will have to go into the pond and fish again (like maybe last years LBs).

Assuming the guys we brought in this year fulfill their potential, what might be next years needs, and what might Emery address in FA and the draft next year. We still have this years post cut FA, which might change our needs, but let's just say we go with what we have into next year since no one knows who Emery might still be looking for.

I'm going to say we are going to need a CB because I'll say Tillman leaves and we need at least three good ones.

I'll also say we want two more Safeties. I'll say Vareen sticks, but I think we need three there also, and to be frank, I don;t like any that we have. Hopefully, I like Vareen.

I honestly don;t know what to do with DE because I know Allen will only be around maybe 2 more years and that needs to be taken care of. I have no idea if we have the people here now to take his place or not. I suspect we don't. So I would say a DE, but that hopefully will be a luxury (at least next year) rather than a need.

As far as LB, I don;t know. I have not been impressed, but that is actually one group I would like to see play under a new coach before making a decision. It was a dumpster fire and this year, it could be anything between a strength to a dumpster fire again. We pretty much have the same people that played last year when it sucked, with the big exceptions of Briggs and DJ. Both of them will make a HUGE difference, but I have no idea any more to what level Briggs can play and DJ won't be here much longer. MLB seems to be the place where we don't have a long term solution, so I'll say MLB is a need. That may not be the case by the time this season ends, but it looks that way to me right now at least.

I'll say we stand pat with the rest of the DL. I think that addresses the defense.

On offense, I think we look great at WR, but from the pattern I have seen, we will still bring in a few more WR to compete and try to unearth the next good WR. Whoever is doing the picking at WR, has been doing a great job. We seem to be getting some really great young kids to work out there.

I'll call TE as a need for sure.

I don't know what to do with RB. I think we are fine as is, but I'm kind of thinking about a Forte replacement. He is playing very well, but I'm not sure how long that will go on. He will not be easy to replace, and everyone we have brought in has really been for a backup to him. I am thinking it may be time to take a look at bringing in a top RB to have on the roster. May be a year or two too early, but maybe not.

At QB, I'm really waiting to see how this year goes. I expect Cutler to get hurt. I also am not confident in ANYONE we have to step in and perform like McCown, but I didn;t have confidence in McCown to step in and perform like McCown until he actually did. At this point, I'm going to say that we draft another QB because Emery said that's what he's like to do. What level of QB would be the question. If Cutler goes down and we suck, I'd say we may go for a high level QB to have on the shelf to replace Cutler when necessary, and if someone on staff does really well, we'll go for more QB depth just for competition and to see if we can hit the Tom Brady lottery.

I think we will draft someone for the OL. We have a very good OL, but I think we might be good to bring in a G and T to compete.

I might have missed a position, but not sure.

So next year I think we look at

QB
    TE
    RB
    G
    OT
    S
    CB
    DE
    WR
    LB

After typing this, I realized that is most of the positions on the team, but only a few (S, TE, and maybe MLB) I think will be positions of need. The rest are going to finally be picks to strengthen the team.

These are for both FA and draft. I kind of like where we are. Of course, remember that before last year, we thought we had fixed the O and that we still had a stout D. I would have never thought we would have had to burn a full year to retool what had just been a top defense. I am also assuming the wheels don't fall off any group like they did for last years defense.

Any thoughts? The only reason I am doing this is not because I am looking past this year, but because I actually got excited about the off season moves and am looking forward to next years. I normally don't get very excited about the offseason moves and only live for the actual season, but Emery has actually injected a certain level of excitement for me in the offseason. I see a team being rebuilt and retooled from the ground up, and I like what I am seeing. I can;t wait for the next installment.
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I'd say on the defensive side the biggest needs will be a third corner if Tillman retires/leaves, linebacker, and possibly safety. Defensive end is pretty set for now with Houston, Allen, and Young. Young is going to be Allen's replacement if he improves the way they expect him too. Another end to throw into the rotation wouldn't hurt...but maybe thats Bass. I think we're good at DT for right now.

Offensively I think a second tight end is a need...and after that it's all just kind of stocking depth.

If you look ahead to the players who are eligible for next years draft you'll see it's kind of heavy with corners and defensive ends. So if we want someone at those positions we should be able to get one. And truthfully in my mind you can never have enough good corners or guys who can rush the passer. It's early yet, but it doesn't look like a great crop of ILB's either. I really think our best bet there going into the future is for Shea to play well there. If he's solid we can get away with having him there until we have a chance to draft another impact MLB...I just don't see one out there.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,621 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Age is the best indicator of what we will need next. Given that Briggs is getting old, if one of the young guys doesn't step up, we'll certainly be attacking that early.

Also, looking at the o-line, Slauson and Garza are getting older, but only Garza SHOULD be replaced due to age after the season. Still, gotta keep adding to the most important unit on the team.

If Cutler suffers another season ending injury, I would def see Emery picking up a mid round guy.

I highly doubt our secondary will be fixed after this offseason, so I really wouldn't be too surprised if our first couple of picks are on safety.

D-line won't need too many additions, maybe a late or mid round pass rusher, seeing as we have only one big time pass rusher on the team.

Wr and RB won't need any special attention, unless Forte starts to wear down or our slot receivers just flat out suck this year. With then drafting a rb in the 4th this year, it's looking like they will probably want to cut back on Forte's touches, so he SHOULD last longer than he normally would have.

We absolutely could use a good te in the next draft, too. I know we keep the 2nd one mostly to block, but offenses with 2 te sets, that have GOOD te's are still a headache for defenses league wide
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    We have zero depth at the receiving TE position. We have guys who can block, and one guy who can't block or catch (Fendi) and that's "it" for right now. If Bennett goes down to injury we are screwed, and we lose an important component to our offense. So, hopefully we bring in a top-tier TE next draft. Receiving TE's are a coveted hot commodity now so the decent ones tend to go fast in the draft. I'd be fine if our #1 pick was a TE next year.

I don't think we need to address QB in the next draft. Cutler should be here for a number of years now. I'm hoping Fales is our backup at #2 by next season, and we can have him there for a few more years.

We will probably need a CB and S next draft. If we want solid players in those two positions then we'd probably better draft them in the upper rounds.

In the mid to later rounds, I like the idea of drafting the BPA for each of the lines, every draft, every year. Get the best DL guy and the best OL guy (one of each) every year, but not in the top of the draft. Go for the best player available in the mid to later rounds......I think this would always keep development players in the talent-pipeline for both the D and Olines.

I don't know what to think about the LB situation. Briggs may even be a disappointment THIS year. When he came back from injury last season he didn't look so good to me. Maybe he was just out of shape from not playing.....I don't know, but he sure didn't look like a guy who's going to be around much longer. And who knows how the two young draft picks from last year are going to perform, or Shea with the position shift. It could be all 3 look solid, or one or two look solid - or all three could end up not looking so hot. We'll just have to see how the LB's pan out this year. I do worry about this.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
  5. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +796 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    445ß
    Good topic. I'm working so can't really expound on my thoughts, but I agree with Briggs and Tillman may/will need replacement next year. LBs we have yet to see what we have, and our secondary is still suspect. Throw in depth at TE and C for the offense, and I think we will still have some needs to address next year. I think the year after next is when we can really start going BPA in the drafts.
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,285 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,704ß
    Good assessment. Maybe just because it kind of goes with my same line of thinking.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    This makes my head hurt to even think about it. I have no idea right now what our needs will even be and even less of an idea of who might fill them. There's an entire pre-season a regular season and a free agency period in between before I'd hone in on who we might draft. Plus we have no idea what our draft order might be. The later we draft the more difficult it may be to fill a specific needs vs taking the BPA or even trading the pick forward or back to be in a better position.

I have enough trouble assembling my thoughts on this until after the Sr. Bowl and the Combine. Based on what I think now my guess is that we'd still be looking for defensive players at LB and DB early on or a possibly a DE. It's always tough to pass on a great pass rusher but few of those fall out of the top 10-15. We made need an OT but the best usually go in the top 10-15 as well and I don't think we'll be drafting that high in 2015.

The best values after the 20th pick are often LBs, TEs, DBs, and WRs and if we're set at WR then my guess is it would be one of those other positions or possibly an OL who fell through the cracks. Phil seems to be pretty good at digging those guys up. It's really pretty hard to tell where the needs might be an if this year goes well we may end up drafting more for depth than for starters.
  8. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well, seeing as how LB wasn't addressed until after the draft, I could see a LB early, maybe 2 in the whole draft. This also hinges on if Shea can make the transition and if Bostic can wake up. Williams is only here on a 1 year deal and Briggs is in his twilight.

The DL is ok....even with Allen being "up there" in age. Hopefully guys like Bass and Washington can make some strides and play to their potentials as well...but I don't see the DL being in as bad of shape by next draft.

I'd also take a look at the OL. You can never have enough quality linemen. I wouldn't say first round, but I wouldn't mind seeing a guard taken in the second.

Then comes TE....After Bennett, there is NOTHING on this roster.

So....Next year, in this order, I'd say these are the priorities: LB, TE, OL (those 2 are interchangable), DB
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    +1
    I keep thinking that Emery/Trestman are not going into this 2014 season with the hole at receiving TE position. Surely not. I'll bet there's a good chance that if they do a post-draft FA acquisition, it's a receiving TE. It may not be a stellar receiving TE, but at least a guy who can catch a football. Onobun seems like another K.Davis experiment. You can teach a lot of things in football, but changing a stone-hands guy into a receiving TE probably is probably not going to happen.

EDIT: I just looked at the available FA TE's. Boy, it's slim picking except for Jermichael Finley. Maybe later we'll see a guy get cut loose, but who knows. The better receiving TE's are valued like gold right now.
    Last edited: May 22, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    There are TEs still out there. Jermichael Finley, Dustin Keller, Tony Scheffler, Fred Davis, Bear Pascoe, Ben Hartsock, Dallas Clark..

It wouldn't hurt my feelings to add another threat at TE...Imagine a single back, 3 WR, 2 TE set....Forte, Marshall, Jeffrey, Wilson, Bennett, and another solid TE. That's been a Bear fan's dream for years, a complete offense.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    No offense, but I'm not taking a guard in the second round if they're not going to see the field.
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Uh huh, that's what I was seeing when I looked about a week or two ago the last time we were covering this. The other vet guy on the roster, Mulligan, looks like he strictly a blocker. Ball boys have more catches than he has.

I gotta think that they're depending on Onobun to finally put it all together in camp and the preseason. If not then I assume they'll cull somebody from the waiver wire but I wouldn't expect much more than another young guy with some upside as a receiver and we go back to using Britton for blocking.

Just imagine how lucky we were to jump on the Black Unicorn last year when NY didn't extend him. That was a good break because without him we'd really be hurting or we'd have had to draft a TE this year and the pickings were slim there too.
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    I read somewhere before Tillman was resigned that he and Briggs had often spoke of retiring together, so I believe Briggs and Tillman will not be back. I suspect DJ Williams is on his last year with us as well, thus depending on the development of the LB's I see the need for atleast 1 linebacker needed to start and presuming Fuller moves to Tillmans outside CB role, then a need to replace the nickel spot vacated by Fuller.

Next year Peae is a free agent and so is Conte. I believe they both need to show improvement to be brought back. Add a DT and S to the needs column.
    We need a back up TE and preferably a starting caliber for a 2 TE set. Looking at the other Free agents below WR and DB's will need to be replaced or resigned and Palmer will be a Free Agent.

Without a lot of thought it sure seems like next years draft will look alot like this years with maybe a TE and WR in the mix. Free agency will play a role again to fill some of the spots but S and CB look like they will be high on the list for starters and DT, TE, probably right behind them for rotational needs. WR and more DB's for backup roles who can hopefully grow into starters down the road is my very very early assessment

NamePositionTotal ValueAPYGuaranteesGuarantee Per YearPercent GuaranteedFree Agency
    Lance Briggs43OLB$7,000,000$7,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,00071.40%2015
    Stephen PaeaDT$3,685,904$921,476$1,723,197$430,79946.80%2015
    Charles TillmanCB$3,250,000$3,250,000$750,000$750,00023.10%2015
    Chris ConteS$2,603,600$650,900$533,600$133,40020.50%2015
    Roberto GarzaC$1,500,000$1,500,000$100,000$100,0006.70%2015
    DJ WilliamsILB$1,500,000$1,500,000$100,000$100,0006.70%2015
    Israel Idonije43DE$955,000$955,000$0$00.00%2015
    Kelvin HaydenCB$855,000$855,000$0$00.00%2015
    Dante RosarioTE$855,000$855,000$0$00.00%2015
    Derrick MartinS$855,000$855,000$0$00.00%2015
    Eric WeemsWR$830,000$830,000$0$00.00%2015
    Domenik HixonWR$830,000$830,000$0$00.00%2015
    Brian De la PuenteC$795,001$795,001$65,000$65,0008.20%2015
    Danny McCrayS$795,000$795,000$0$00.00%2015
    Sherrick McManisCB$795,000$795,000$65,000$65,0008.20%2015
    Eben BrittonG$795,000$795,000$65,000$65,0008.20%2015
    Craig SteltzS$795,000$795,000$0$00.00%2015
    Jordan SennILB$795,000$780,000$0$00.00%2015
    MD JenningsS$745,000$745,000$0$00.00%2015
    Nate CollinsDT$730,001$730,001$0$00.00%2015
    Jordan PalmerQB$730,000$730,000$0$00.00%2015
    Josh MorganWR$730,000$730,000$0$00.00%2015
    Trevor Scott43DE$730,000$730,000$0$00.00%2015
    Matthew MulliganTE$730,000$730,000$0$00.00%2015
    Austen Lane43DE$730,000$730,000$0$00.00%2015
    Matt ForteRB$30,400,000$7,600,000$13,800,000$3,450,00045.40%2016
    Alshon JefferyWR$4,547,830$1,136,958$2,344,235$586,05951.50%2016
    Jay RatliffDT$3,750,000$1,875,000$600,000$300,00016.00%2016
    Ryan MundyS$3,000,000$1,500,000$650,000$325,00021.70%2016
    Tony FiammettaRB$1,625,000$812,500$150,000$75,0009.20%2016
    Fendi OnobunTE$1,230,000$615,000$0$00.00%2016
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Like to answer but getting HIT by thunderstorms ... Goodbye!

Electricity is turning on and off. Adios.
  15. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good point, but what if Slauson or Long goes down? What's there to back them up? Nothing to write home about. I like Mills and think he did well for a guy taken later on the in draft, but there has always been talk of Long shifting out to OT. Idk....just brainstorming. That's all..
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I get that, but I'm still not drafting a guy in the second round to serve as a backup. I want a second rounder to be a starter or part of a regular rotation.
  17. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Well, that's why I made the comment about shooting Long out to Tackle....If there is a guard in the second round that is starter quality, would moving Long to tackle be a feasible idea?
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I suppose...but why wouldn't I address an area of bigger need? As we've discussed, Kromer likes his protection from the inside out, so the best lineman should be on the inside. At the end of the day, if he's highest graded player you have on your board then you pick him and let the competition sort itself out...but I'd rather take something else there...especially with the ability to get high quality inside players later in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yeah...true...Again, just brainstorming.

I still think that there will be a dire need for LBs and, yet again, Safety help next year.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    778ß
    I agree, and just based off of looking at the draft eligible players for next years draft I don't see a MLB worth taking in round 1. I see some defensive ends I would take in round 1 however.