What are you football rituals?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I know most people have some, and with the popularity of those (Visa?) commercials taking a poke at having them (or was it a beer commercial?), I wanna see what everyone else's is.

Mine are:

Play "Panic in Detroit" by David Bowie before every Lions game

Wear my Walter Payton jersey ONLY for Bears-Packers games.

If they're winning, sit in the SAME spot (move around and stuff, but go back to that spot ASAP) until the game is over.

Call or be called by my Chiefs fan cousin almost immediately before the game for both of us to have good luck, and he's the only person I'll talk to during the game (via text). If you're wondering how that works out when the two teams play each other, we both basically try to say difficult it'll be for our own team to win, and whatever the fan of the loser has to say is the "cause" of the loss, immediately agree.

Hunter Thompson's final note, immediately following the Super Bowl, lol.

So.....What are your personal rituals? (I'm gonna feel like a crazy person if no one has any haha)
    • Like Like x 2
  2. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,630 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    277ß
    I wear my Payton jersey every season opener.

Then I alternate between various players/home and road based on where we are playing and what we need.... good D I go with Singletary or Butkus. Offense is Forte or Cutler. If I feel we need a little something extra I wear my Hester
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    That makes me want to get a Tillman jersey for Packers games, lol
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I ALWAYS stand during the game. I will sit for time outs, commercials, halftime. When the Bears are on the field, I'm on my feet.

It also seems to help if I mimic crowd noise at at least a stage whisper during critical downs. The timing and direction are also important. I have to be facing Chicago, and the "noise" has to start around when the (opposing) team breaks the huddle. I find I have to also account for the transmission delay. This is why I watch the game over the antenna rather than cable.

I will also attempt to create "wind" to favor or oppose Field Goals.
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    Well, what you're doing seemed to have helped Robbie last week so keep it up, lol
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Strangerwithcandy11

Strangerwithcandy11 Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,481 / 14 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I spend some time pregame cleaning the down stairs. I pace the whole game and I don't wanna look at things that need to be cleaned while I'm doing it lol. I did break my habit of NEVER watching a game with anyone this past Sunday. I let my buddy Larry come over cause he's a Bengals fan and he asked. He knew better than to ask but he did anyway lol.

It was odd seeing someone sit and watch a game. After Tillman's pick I think its safe to say Larry learned his lesson about watching a Bears game with me lol. The year the Bears played the Colts in the Super Bowl I skipped the family super bowl party because I didn't want anyone to get killed lol.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I'm with ya. I refused to go party with anybody, because I was getting drunk and I have way too many **** talking Colts fans for friends for that to have ended peacefully, haha
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,112 / 14 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    1. Turn on the TV.
    2. Sit back down.

/ritual
    • Like Like x 2
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +444 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I'm too lazy to have a ritual. I'm always drinking beer while watching the Bear games does that count?
  10. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I'm with Loki. You guys are freakin me out a little bit.;)
  11. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I like to wake up at the crack of 10:40, about 20 minutes before kickoff where I go downstairs and eat Wednesday's leftover Hamburger Helper. By about 10:53 I realize that I forgot to make my daily Proline ticket so I throw on my unwashed shorts and run out the door towards my nearest convenience store and enter with 90 seconds to spare!
    After cursing out the first 6 provided golf pencils for be void of their lead, I finally scratch out my picks for the day and run up to the till to get my tickets printed, while picking out the newest flavour of Stride gum to rid myself of the taste of the night before, the teller informs me that my tickets are invalid, the first game has already started. Shit! I sulk back to the gambling station and inevitably double my wager on the afternoon games.

On my way home with my golden "Locked games of the Afternoon" ticket, I happen a liqour store out of the corner of mine eye, "Should I indulge myself?" I ask myself aloud and mostly rhetorically. "Well", I decide,"I'll be winning $1500 this afternoon on my tickets anyways, what's the harm?"
    I greet the kind lady behind the counter as I reach for the 60 pounder of Canadian Whiskey and a 2L of Coke, checking my fantasy lineup last minute... Baltimore's defense against the Broncos, that should be good.

I drop myself on the couch with tickets and booze in hand and flip on the Sunday ticket to hunt down the Bears game while reaching for yesterday mornings coffee mug as my drinkin' chalice.

Fast Forward 2 hours... My Crown Royal is half gone and I'm telling telling Chris Berman what I REALLY think of him, while watching Youtube clips from the 2006 season and softly crying on the inside. "Time to cheer up!" I think to myself, and I log on to Yahoo to check my fantasy team. Up by 15 on the back of Victor Cruz and Demarco Murray. "You sir, are a football genius". The games are reaching the end of the 4th quarter and the Bears are up 6, victory is certain! Until a missed block by LT that will remain nameless (because to utter the word Webb in my household assures a level of rage guaranteed to bring the local authorities to my door. My wife knows that it shall be reffered to as a 'spider snowflake' from henceforth the 2012 season god dammit!), I digress. A certain LT misses a block and Cutler gets dropped for the 6th time of the game and fumbles the ball, I know this scenario much too well....

The ball is marched all of a sudden like Steve Young was reincarnated in this otherwise celler-dwellar of a quarterback against a defense that was stingy all day, but not now, not this drive. Throw after throw followed by completion after completion until the endzone is hit with a mere 12 seconds on the board. Defeat is certain. I wallow away into my 8th drink and check my fantasy team again, for the 100th time, and somewhere between 4:27 and 4:35 Adrian Peterson has somehow achieved what is basically seen as a trillion yards and 4 touchdowns. I lose again... But I still have my big money tickets, I scramble for my wallet and whip out the ticket. after scanning the ticket up and down I have gone 2-6 in the afternoon games and lost everything.

Sunday
    • Like Like x 1
  12. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,162 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    21ß
    I tell my woman if she doesn't make me a sammich we could lose bad and if I help her in the kitchen at all there are no playoffs. Glad she's a fan b/c by god that works!!
  13. Styx

Styx Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I watch the game in different rooms depending on the game.If were not looking so good i go to the cool basement,If were in a tough game the living room the room names a pun.
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    Back when I was at Hood, I had 2 people (unless there was a group of us watching at someone's house) that I ALWAYS made it a point to sit with at the bar during all Bears games. They were a Packers and a Lions fan. It was a bit of a good luck charm, until Lovie Smith decided it wouldn't be a bad idea to let the Packers into the Playoffs in 2010. Unless our teams were going against each other, we'd root each others teams on, but even that infamous debacle (Lovie, seriously, why did you sit Bennett, who was your ONLY WR?) didn't change the drinking arrangements, especially since we were too busy laughing our ***es off at Lovie trying to call plays.

That leads to another one of my "dont's" of football rituals, unless I'm good friends with them, or they're friends of a friend, I will NOT drink with another Bears fan. They can seriously be more annoying than Steelers or Saints "fans", and that says a LOT. I always find them to be bad luck, and disrespectful. Especially if I'm drinking with "the enemy". Give me a random Packer, Lions and Cowboys fan ANY day over a random Bears, Saints, Steelers or Colts fan.
  15. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,458 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    676ß
    I like to hear that some prefer the simple pleasures in life but won't the remote turn ON the TV too? Then you could eliminate one step and make it even simpler?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,458 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    676ß
    I usually sacrifice a live chicken, then eat a Hershey Bar with Almonds (must have almonds) and take out the trash.

THEN and only then can I sit down turn on my computer find the live stream of the game and watch. :)

(Ok, Ok, maybe I stretched the truth about the live chicken. Sometimes it's just a package of thighs from Safeway):p
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    281ß
    You have to stand up to turn on your tv? Doesn't Japan have those new fangled TV remote controls to do that from the sitting position?

My only real ritual is 1 drink per qtr(in really bad games i ditch that one quick). If I'm at home I watch while chatting online w/you farts to make sure I'm not to loud or vulgar around the family.

If it's not on here I head to Buffalo Wild Wings and again 1 beer a qtr, food 1st qtr and a desert the 4th.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Now THAT, my friend, is a literary work of art! Well done.
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,239 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    136ß
    I think Ric and a few others see my hypocrisy of "keeping cool, it's just game 1". I'm calm after the game, but during the game, I'm screaming at everything haha
    • Like Like x 2
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,475 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    281ß
    I used to be the same way, the chat room at this site helped, and having kids helped tons