What do you think about Khaseem Greene?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, May 13, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    Obviously, he had a really rough rookie year. But do you think he can ultimately be a good LB for us?

2. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    Yeah, I'm not judging either rookie LB with the absolute shittrash they had killing them up front last year. It's hard enough to get up to speed in this league with quality guys in front of you, playing behind the crap they did last year was a severe handicap.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    he looked kind of lost there, it is clear he was pushed in waaay too early cos of all the injuries, i guess we will see this season, but he is somewhere between a LB and a S, so - nowhere. hope he makes it, but i wouldnt be surprised if this is his last season as a Bear
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Having seen him play a lot in college..the kid can play. I think he was put in there too early last year and wasn't ready...and I'm not saying he will ever be an elite guy like a Briggs, but I think he can be a valuable member of the team and contribute on all phases of special teams at the very least. I think this season will be more telling. It also didn't help that he had slop up in front of him. I don't care what anyone says...a bad d-line will make a linebacker look worse than he is. I thought both him and Bostic over ran plays too often last year, which in my mind is very fixable(plus, as I said, with the d-line we had you could imagine why they might be in a rush to get to a spot).
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    This. We lost 3 dlinemen last year, Paea was hampered by turf toe all season AND one of our starting DE's couldn't hold up to the point of attack, so much that teams often ran in his direction.

Urlacher in his HOF prime couldn't do much behind a line that gets no pressure (2009 season or SB42 for example), so expecting a 4th round rookie to manage much, ESPECIALLY when he's replacing the team's best linebacker, with another rookie calling plays on D is ridiculous
    • Like Like x 3
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Greene's rookie year, like Bostic's is a scratch. I'd still not have a ton of confidence they can take a huge step forward though, what last year really did was expose their weaknesses.

All we can do is hope an extra year and new staff, as well as a completley new DL will help limit that exposure as well as allow them to show of their positive traits.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Well the article certainly hits the nail on the head. Greene absolutely sucked last year. Far worse than Bostic or any other defensive sub who played in the front seven. Remember that in college he was a converted Safety bulked up to play LB and to me he looked woefully out of place as an NFL LB. He really had no clue of how to play his position and it showed.

Maybe with an offseason of preparation and better coaching the light will go on but as it stands I don't see him as much more than a career STeams guy (provided he can tackle better than he did at LB) and a marginal backup you'd be looking to upgrade soon. Even with as little depth at LB as we have now I'd say it's 50/50 he doesn't even make the roster this year.
  8. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß

Would you say this pre-draft profile is what you guys saw or not?
    What can we expect the coaches to be able to do for his weaknesses?
  9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Yep, especially where his weaknesses are exposed. I've been saying all along that this kid will not take a runner on from the front and stick his head and shoulder into the tackle. He's very easily blocked just like in this highlight reel and he doesn't hustle to chase down plays from the backside or when the play is past him. I don't know how he timed in the 40 but IMHO he plays slow and looks lost at times.

Maybe they can light a fire under him and with some decent coaching he can learn better fundamentals as a LB and turn him into one but to me he has a long way to go. Whatever his measurables are they sure don't convert into his on field play. He doesn't play fast, he doesn't hit hard, and he's easily blocked or he gets himself caught up in traffic. He's more of a kid who needs to play a rover or SS position where he can stay clear of blockers and come up to make a tackle.

Even when he does get in on tackles he's rarely the first one there so he's getting credit for a lot of "clean up" or "garbage tackles" that have little or no impact. He needs a lot of work before he'll ever be a decent NFL LB if he continues to play like that. Maybe it was his athleticism and his upside Emery saw in him because I don't see the kind of productivity his college stats say he had in that video. I see a kid who plays way too soft for a Bears LB.

JMHO
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    Not sure. i don't think they were well coached last year. Not sure if it was Tucker or the LB coach, but I want to see what happens this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +63 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    @ Soulman - I would agree. The biggest concern of mine is the "lost in traffic" weakness. To me that is a vision issue that IMO is not something you can coach. Either you have field vision or you don't.

Everything else, like you said, may be able to improve if you can tap into the guys aggression and light a fire under his butt.
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +364 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    I hope he turns into a serviceable starter, but I do not know. I'll take Nick Roach production, honestly.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    So if Shea can go back to LB, why would we not have Green go back to playing Safety? (Strong Safety only).

The way he looks in traffic, I'm not sure he will ever be able to play the position properly.

If he stays on the team it needs to be a conversion or as a ST guy only.

BTW- you can go to the probowl and make a good living in the NFL if you are a Stud on STs.
  14. okay

okay Rookie

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Remember he was a fourth round pick..not many fourth round picks start their rookie seasons. He was drafted to play special teams and back up at LB, potentially become a starter down the road. He's not going to be cut just because he's not starting quality at LB yet - that's not why they drafted him. He will be competing with Senn, Christian Jones, UDFAs for a roster spot.

As others have said
    - he was behind a depleted DL.
    - had another rookie LB calling plays most of the season without Briggs there.
    - his position coach Tim Tibesar (Trestman's guy from CFL with only CFL and NCAA experience, no NFL experience) was fired after the season and replaced with Reggie Herring (LBer coach under Wade Phillips for 6 seasons at Dallas and Houston, former FSU LBer himself with 30 years experience specifically coaching LBers).

So silly to give up on him already.
    • Like Like x 3
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Amen!
  16. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Big concerns

- Tackling
    - Speed and instincts to the ball

Seems to have some raw athleticism and ability to make plays.

What I'd look to do is use him in a role to attack the line as a blitzer or to attack the running back.

I'm worried about him in space and I'm worried about him having to make decisions. I think he was drafted because if he works out he could have some real upside as a play maker, but right now I'm worried he'll have too many negatives. Let's see what our new LBs coach can do with him.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    I mean if you watch his film...all he does is make plays in space. In traffic is another story, but he generally finds an angle to the ball and gets there. He's the pro to-type Will linebacker in a 4-3 when the defensive line keeps lineman off the linebackers. Taking on blocks isn't his strong point, flowing to the ball is though.
    • Agree Agree x 1