What does everyone think about McClellin?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Bearsinhouston, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Do you think we have seen the last of his significant contribution with his 3 sack game?

Do you think he will grow and that we will see more of that?

Will we use him as a LB before it's over, or is he getting close to wearing out his welcome with the Bears?

The She pick has always been controversial. I thought the pick was out of left field even though I wanted a DE. I thought it was a huge reach, but after watching some film, he had a high motor and seemed like those guys usually succeed because they just never quit. We have not seen that yet with him. Is it just a matter of wrong position, or did we wiff?

I'd like to hear your thoughts and how you guys think this will end up. No one should say he will be the next DC.
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    If he's not in a 3-4 he will be forever a situational pass rusher. If they wish to stay in a 4-3 then they should just try to showcase Shea in situations to get his stock up and trade him not have him line up with his hand in the dirt and play the run down after freaking down.
  3. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I think that pretty well encapsulates the situation
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    So, does that mean we continue to use him as a situational guy with limited success, and at some point cut him? You think that scenario has the highest probability of happening?
  5. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +651 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    649ß
    Here is his contract...

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/chicago-bears/shea-mcclellin/

He is not FA until 2016. You couldn't get a water boy for him in trade. It seems the Bears still haven't figured out that he can't play DE. He could be LB in 3-4 scheme, but that ain't happening. With luck, he will be back-up DE next year.

BTW, if the Bears want to see what a real pass rush looks like, watch what the 49ers did to RG3 tonight. Nowhere to run. Nowhere to hide.
  6. short faced bear

Ratings:
    +1,178 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I think so. At least get the proverbial ham sandwich for the guy.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Based on that, he probably is not going anywhere next year. Too much dead cap. However, if he does not get better, I could see moving away from him the year after and eating the last year dead cap. I think if we are going to try something different, next year might be the year. I want to see if he can actually put on some weight, keep it on, and learn how to use it next year. Getting to the QB three times in one game shows he does have ability. I just am not sure we are using him right. But I'm sure Tucker will get every ounce of ability from him! I wonder if he has the ability to look at him and really project where his talents can be best used.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    493ß
    I don't think he has much value in a trade. I don't think he's NFL quality at any position. Cut him at the end of the season and move on.
  9. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    Really?! Surprised to hear you say that. Not that you couldn't be right, I guess I'm still not there in totally giving up on him, but the prognosis is not good.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    493ß
    It's like the Carimi thing. Bust. Although I'll bet he could do odd-jobs for Virginia. Paint, rake leaves, maybe even wash the car too (but that may be a stretch for his talent).
  11. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +651 / 5 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    649ß
    The 3 sacks were a fluke. On the Rodgers sack, the tackle had him chased out the back door, but Rodgers ran that direction so Shea could just peel back to get him. Wallace was obviously thrown into the game unprepared. I'll be surprised if McClellin gets more than 1 sack in the last 5 games.
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,363 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    477ß
    yeah... that's what I was looking to see what people thought in that regard. Your thoughts are probably the most likely
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    296ß
    I thought at the time the brain trust at HALAS HALL hired him to replace Urlacher.