What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,692 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,207ß
    I've been watching a lot of preseason football (not just Bears but the other teams in the NFL). It seems to give me a better feel for where our team is at right now on D. It gives perspective. I'm beginning to wonder what happened with our Chicago Bears defense.

I turned the TV off last night after watching the Seattle game and was walking back to go to bed when it hit me as to what's happened to the Bears.

When I watch the other NFL teams this preseason - the ones with the better defenses - there is a night and day difference between THOSE teams D and what Tucker has out there now. Those better D's are alpha dog mentality teams that attack the offenses and impose their will on them. They are aggressive and just maul offenses. They look like they have a "sense of purpose" out there, rather than playing on their heels. Soul has described in several posts here in recent weeks about how the Bears D players look tentative (sometimes clueless). The solid NFL defenses this preseason - they are "downhill" teams that put the wood to offenses mano a mano stuff. They clearly KNOW where they are to be and THEY MAKE PLAYS on a consistent basis.

Us?

We are looking lost out there. On our heals "reacting" rather than aggressively making plays. I guess THAT is what the Bears D is missing. Where are the playmakers? Sure, you see a couple of isolated "good plays" in these games. But watch the better D's perform this preseason and there are aggressive playmakers flying EVERYWHERE. The kind of thing you used to see the Bears do in past seasons when we had a good defense. Now? You just see players out of position. On their heals. Shea gives that "deer in the headlights" look and wanders back for the next play - looking defeated. Others aren't looking any better to me.

I think we're a screwed goose this season if Tucker can't get a better performance from these guys. I'm thinking 8-8 season again and no playoffs. I think that's the ceiling with this bunch on D. Rodgers, and even Detroit will rip us good with this D. Same with any of the other good teams that can gut a defense.

Now, please feel free to cue up the "overreacting" comments and the "this is just preseason, and the sky is not falling" comments. But I tell 'ya in advance, WATCH the better D's this preseason and tell my why they are not playing so tentative, lost, reactive & with an "on their heels" mentality? Why are THEIR players flying around aggressively making plays - while we're not?
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I tend to think it is the LB's.

The line, CB's and even the Safeties seem to be holding up. We got spoiled with great MLB's and now we do not have one. If Bostic made every play like the one he tackled Gerhardt in the backfield we would feel we were attacking I believe. We went many years with strong LB play with Briggs and Urlacher and now Briggs is older and Urlacher is retired. The D line and CB's will be fine if they can master the peddy interference calls being highlighted in the pre-season.

Downhill attack needs to come from the LB's behind the line and I believe this is what we are lacking so far. I too have been watching several other games and based on what I have seen put us in the middle of the road so far.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +236 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    104ß
    Flying around, making plays requires confidence in the guys next to you. Flying around implies risk of missing and you need others to clean up your miss. If you doubt their performance, you'll be cautious in yours. It also requires coaches who are tolerant of risk takers, recognizing that risk implies failure some of the time. It also requires a willingness to let players learn from mistakes, rather than impose systems that constrain them to minimize mistakes. Think "playing like bureaucrats."

Whether any of this applies to the Bears, I don't know as I'm not sitting in their meetings, but if it does, our Mr. Tucker will have a short tenure.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    I can agree to an extent with the LB's being an issue, but I'm not convinced we have the right guy coaching the D. After last seasons debacle and from what I've seen so far, I'm not impressed. We have aggressive players, it just seems like we're playing not to lose instead of attacking and playing to win. This is a coaching and scheme issue.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    You may be right but I am holding judgement on Tucker. Last year he had no healthy talent and this year its just way to early in the preseason. Hoping Tucker has what it takes so we do not have to keep rebuilding this thing and new schemes. Seen that with the offense for years and it just did not turn out to well prior to Trestman arriving
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,692 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,207ß
    The next preseason game (with Seattle) will give us a good measuring stick opportunity to see where we are at as a team. I'm not giving up on the D but rather disappointed with what we're seeing up to this point. I think we have the talent to be a solid defense. I just don't see the unit coming together yet. We look so vulnerable and tentative so far. Any idiot can see that the better offenses are going to feast on this D if it doesn't improve for the regular season.

The bottom-line is that the offense alone won't put us past teams like Green Bay and Detroit (and the other good offenses that we will meet this year) unless the D can slow them down - just enough - that our offense can score more points than theirs. It's basic math. Right now I think we'd get buried by the better teams and Cutler's arm (alone) isn't going to surmount this. We need a better D and until we have that we won't be division champions, much less be Super Bowl champs. Watch Seattle next week against the Bears (their 1's against our 1's) and we'll measure where we're at as a team. I absolutely LOVE watching that Seattle D. That's why they are champs.
  7. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    155ß
    JABF, You are not the only one. Like you I have tuned into other games. It is dissapointing to see the limited progress we have made on defense. The fan boys will come up with plenty of excuses. I will start the list of excuses for them.
    1. It's only pre-season and we didn't scout the team.
    2. We are not yet full strength on defense.
    3. This is Tucker's scheme, but not his players. He can only work with what he is given.
    4. It's the LB fault and we have no Safeties to pick from.
    5. The positional coaching is not working.
    6. We are drafting poorly and have no depth.
    7. There is a lack of compettition to get the best out of players.
    8. The natural grass in SF needs to be replaced with artificial turf.
    9. Jerry Angelo
    10. Chris Conte.
    Reserved for future usage: Injuries.

Like you, I am excited about the season starting. The offense looks solid for the second year running. I hope we can turn around the defensive play or we are in for another Packer's NFC North title.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    Don't forget to blame JA
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I had my doubts regarding Tucker when he was first hired, as did many of you. Call me pessimistic, but I think that Tucker's ceiling as a DC is pretty low. I just don't have an overabundance of faith in the man at this point in time. I would love for him to prove me wrong, but as things currently stand, I would give my left nut (and Henry's right nut) for one of the Ryan boys to be our DC (since Buddy is too old and in ill health, unfortunately).
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  10. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    155ß
    Thanks. I fixed it. Too bad we can't keep it updated as the edit feature expires.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Well, the problem with our defense is that players are never where they need to be.

Eventually talent will show it's head in at least one or two players.

We had NO shining stars last year. Everyone was either out of place, or got run over.

How does a defense look this bad in Professional Football???? Honestly, there are easy excuses to come up with, but MANY teams do just fine with injuries.

When was the last time Green Bay had a bad offensive line? How many times have they pieced one together that was impressive? Yet, we blame injuries.

The only injury I'll buy is with Jay Cutler, or maybe Briggs.
  12. JJ-30

JJ-30 Veteran

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Everything new from playbooks to players takes time.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  13. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I hear you Ski, but we had shit GM who could not find back up talent. Emery thought he had time on the Defense and concentrated on the Offense and this year addressed the Defense. If you can not draft well you will not have any depth to fill in for injuries. Green Bay, Baltimore, and New England have done very well where we have not
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,692 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,207ß
    Ski, aren't you from the Jacksonville area? Did you have a chance to follow Tucker when he was a coach there? If so, then what do you think of his coaching ability?
  15. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +404 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß
    so the defense who put on one of the greatest super bowl perfomances ever had a good game? I'd be more shocked if they looked bad. Seattle has loads of depth and has had a GM more like Emery than Angelo for much longer than we have. We perform like shit week 1 and I'll be worried. Right now I'm keeping an eye on it but the Lions went 4-0 the preseason before 0-16. Its truly just preseason, we need to chill. Keep an eye on it? Sure, but we should do that anyways. But I'm getting a real sky is falling vibe from a lot of posts. I feel like our Run D looks a lot better but no one seems to care.

we could honestly look like world beaters out there and i wouldn't be too excited. I'd love to watch but its preseason, good or bad its not a great measuring stick.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    How many new guys are on this starting D? I hate to use a Mike Tice adage here but I will give this a little more time before I pass judgment. Will this line be the '85 line? It doesn't look like it but we didn't see that line come to fruition either during preseason so I'll hold my reserve judgement at this time.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,890 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,199ß
    I would love to have that hippie Rob. I think he is better than Rex
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    Nothing negative on Tucker, but HELL YES, I would love to have the Hippie too
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,692 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,207ß
    I was thinking about this JJ. And maybe it will just take another year, and another year of Emery upgrading the talent another notch. But here's my fear. I went through this same cycle when we had the failures at offensive coordinator under Lovie Smith's regime. I'd try so hard to be hopeful and positive with guys like Ron Turner, Martz and Mike Tice. I'd so WANT to believe that they were "right" about guys like J'Marcus Webb (and all the other bums) being better than us fans thought. But in the end, the' fans were right. Something was "wrong" and it wasn't that these guys were brilliant and us fans were stupid ignorant people who just didn't understand stuff. And we had many of the same excuses trotted out, like they're doing NOW with the defense.

But I do worry that there is something wrong here that needs fixing, beyond another draft year - or another year of "gelling" on defense (oh, how I came to hate that word gelling when they continued to give that excuse for the OL under Lovie's tenure). In the end, the team is what it is. Good, mediocre or bad.

When Seattle comes to town I'm not interested in the final score, but how we PLAYED against their #1's. Mano a mono, how will the D perform. And I'm curious how our O performs against that defense. In the end, if we want to win a Super Bowl - we HAVE to be better than teams like Seattle. These are the guys we HAVE to beat to be champions.
  20. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

I've said it from the time Jags exchanged DC with us.

While Tucker's defenses may have ranked in the middle rankings, their play was sloppy and players plain sucked. Blame it on his players, but honestly, the Bears defense and the Jags defense look almost the SAME!

Some people argue my point, but I've watched the Jags. Players were sloppy, players were out of place, they also seemed to quit.

I really knew we were screwed when Tucker was announced as our DC. From the SECOND I heard he was coming to Chitown, I was pretty pissed because his defense sucked in Jax. People think it was ok, but our defenses look every similar.

Blame the players because they actually are playing bad, but this is Tuckers second year here. How many times can people NOT blame him? It's too easy to blame the players.

People don't realize schemes have a LOT to do with how players perform. They have to believe in what the coaches are selling otherwise they don't care.

Look at our offense. Who have we really added since Lovie. Marshall and Jefferies? We had had a lot of players on the Bears that started or played on other teams. Was it Lovie, or the players on offense that sucked?
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1