What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. Bad coaching or scheme.

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Bad players.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Nothing is wrong. We're just as good as those teams like Seattle.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's just "preseason" and those other teams like Seattle are just better preseason teams.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Other (let us know what you think is wrong)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Well, the problem with our defense is that players are never where they need to be.

Eventually talent will show it's head in at least one or two players.

We had NO shining stars last year. Everyone was either out of place, or got run over.

How does a defense look this bad in Professional Football???? Honestly, there are easy excuses to come up with, but MANY teams do just fine with injuries.

When was the last time Green Bay had a bad offensive line? How many times have they pieced one together that was impressive? Yet, we blame injuries.

The only injury I'll buy is with Jay Cutler, or maybe Briggs.

2. JJ-30

JJ-30
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

Everything new from playbooks to players takes time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

I hear you Ski, but we had shit GM who could not find back up talent. Emery thought he had time on the Defense and concentrated on the Offense and this year addressed the Defense. If you can not draft well you will not have any depth to fill in for injuries. Green Bay, Baltimore, and New England have done very well where we have not

4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ski, aren't you from the Jacksonville area? Did you have a chance to follow Tucker when he was a coach there? If so, then what do you think of his coaching ability?

5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran

so the defense who put on one of the greatest super bowl perfomances ever had a good game? I'd be more shocked if they looked bad. Seattle has loads of depth and has had a GM more like Emery than Angelo for much longer than we have. We perform like shit week 1 and I'll be worried. Right now I'm keeping an eye on it but the Lions went 4-0 the preseason before 0-16. Its truly just preseason, we need to chill. Keep an eye on it? Sure, but we should do that anyways. But I'm getting a real sky is falling vibe from a lot of posts. I feel like our Run D looks a lot better but no one seems to care.

we could honestly look like world beaters out there and i wouldn't be too excited. I'd love to watch but its preseason, good or bad its not a great measuring stick.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

How many new guys are on this starting D? I hate to use a Mike Tice adage here but I will give this a little more time before I pass judgment. Will this line be the '85 line? It doesn't look like it but we didn't see that line come to fruition either during preseason so I'll hold my reserve judgement at this time.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

I would love to have that hippie Rob. I think he is better than Rex

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Nothing negative on Tucker, but HELL YES, I would love to have the Hippie too

• Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I was thinking about this JJ. And maybe it will just take another year, and another year of Emery upgrading the talent another notch. But here's my fear. I went through this same cycle when we had the failures at offensive coordinator under Lovie Smith's regime. I'd try so hard to be hopeful and positive with guys like Ron Turner, Martz and Mike Tice. I'd so WANT to believe that they were "right" about guys like J'Marcus Webb (and all the other bums) being better than us fans thought. But in the end, the' fans were right. Something was "wrong" and it wasn't that these guys were brilliant and us fans were stupid ignorant people who just didn't understand stuff. And we had many of the same excuses trotted out, like they're doing NOW with the defense.

But I do worry that there is something wrong here that needs fixing, beyond another draft year - or another year of "gelling" on defense (oh, how I came to hate that word gelling when they continued to give that excuse for the OL under Lovie's tenure). In the end, the team is what it is. Good, mediocre or bad.

When Seattle comes to town I'm not interested in the final score, but how we PLAYED against their #1's. Mano a mono, how will the D perform. And I'm curious how our O performs against that defense. In the end, if we want to win a Super Bowl - we HAVE to be better than teams like Seattle. These are the guys we HAVE to beat to be champions.

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz
    Expand Collapse
    George Halas
    Staff Member SuperFan

I've said it from the time Jags exchanged DC with us.

While Tucker's defenses may have ranked in the middle rankings, their play was sloppy and players plain sucked. Blame it on his players, but honestly, the Bears defense and the Jags defense look almost the SAME!

Some people argue my point, but I've watched the Jags. Players were sloppy, players were out of place, they also seemed to quit.

I really knew we were screwed when Tucker was announced as our DC. From the SECOND I heard he was coming to Chitown, I was pretty pissed because his defense sucked in Jax. People think it was ok, but our defenses look every similar.

Blame the players because they actually are playing bad, but this is Tuckers second year here. How many times can people NOT blame him? It's too easy to blame the players.

People don't realize schemes have a LOT to do with how players perform. They have to believe in what the coaches are selling otherwise they don't care.

Look at our offense. Who have we really added since Lovie. Marshall and Jefferies? We had had a lot of players on the Bears that started or played on other teams. Was it Lovie, or the players on offense that sucked?

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1