What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +962 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß

No buddy recognizes talent until you win something.
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +684 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    393ß
    If the D doesn't move up substantially on the rankings list this year then we know where the problem would lie this year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    luckily, not blaming Jerry was such a glaring omission that we were able to catch it early!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Well, as much as what I saw last year kept point to coaching, the easy way out would be to be wrong about Tucker, and honestly, I'm still hoping that is the case. Right now the best case scenario is that these perceptions are off base and he will be good. It does no good at this point to be right about Tucker not being able to lead a defense. All that does is screw us and create an issue for the team to have to deal with.

I have my serious doubts all over again, but i still hope he emerges to be the coach we all want him to be.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +399 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    94ß
    so why complain about results when good ones are ignored? If you can't gleam positives from the preseason then how do you come away with negatives?
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,649 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    We won't 100% solve this until the season is over. I just hope we don't waste another year of having a great offense, but the defense is so bad we are 8-8 anyway. In the end you are who your record says you are. Excuses really don't matter at that point. You either beat the best teams and win a championship - or you lose.

That's the bottom-line. You're either a winner or a loser. Or maybe "mediocre" but heck, I think I hate that even more. It just gets your hopes up, in years where we're just a pretender.......and Green Bay rolls us again. I'm gonna have a stroke if GB still owns us this year. And if it does, it won't be due to having a bad offense. We're gonna have a really nice offense. It will be due to the defense being poor. I hate that.
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +684 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    393ß
    Tucker has everything in my opinion he needs to become a good coach with players and depth he has been provided this year. If he fails with this crew it ALL falls on him this year and will be easy call as to who gets fired. The one brilliant thing about the Emery and Trestman's system is it makes it easy to see the weakest links in the system.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    I'd have to say that if the D plays badly again this year that it is not because we have a bad defense any more. I might have agrees last year, but this year the talent is stacked. If we have a bad defense again this year, it is coaching. Plain and simple. Everyone can disagree with me, but it's going to take a lot to convince me otherwise. I LOVE the people we brought in. Pas and Herring have had exceptional careers. At this point failure means Tucker. Period. End of the line for excuses.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    I think we need to remember that first of all it's only the 2nd preseason game but most of all we have a lot of new guys on this defense and no matter what, it takes time to gel with each other and learn what the man next to you is gonna do or how he plays so we really are gonna have to be patient with them and hope it only takes a couple of games to come together. Luckily we have an offense that can keep up with the other big boy teams out there.
  10. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    Yeah you said some good stuff here. I think our D-Line will be just fine but it's our LBers that i'm most worried about cause even though they looked better in game 2 they still have a lot of work to do.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    I don't know...I haven't seen a whole lot of great defensive play this pre-season from any of the teams I've watched.
  12. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    So you think that the defenses that Tucker had in Jax had as much talent as the Bears do?? There's no way.
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    He doesn't "coach the d" he calls the plays.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    Green Bays offensive line is pretty bad. Lucky for them they have 1 of the best qb's to ever play the game and great skill players. Rodgers is starting to show signs of wear and tear from those years of pounding though.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    He only called plays in Jacksonville 1 year and they went from one of the worst defenses in the league to one of the best the year he called plays.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    You think adding two number 1 receivers, and actual tight end, and a o-line that can block is a group if minimal additions??!!! REALLY??!!!
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,649 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    We will all get a chance to see one of the better defenses on Friday. The Seahawks are like the old school Bears defenses from back in the day. The Patriots look pretty good too.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +693 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    469ß
    Of course the Seahawks look good...as they should! The patriots were ok.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,261 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    Ya'all need to stop over analyzing this.

This is not going to be an elite D, it's not asked to be, the resources aren't put into that side of the ball anymore. So don't beat yourself down by watchind elite D's and then wondering why the Bears don't look like that? Here's a quick quiz, since 2008 how many times have the Bears have a top 10 D(not even elite)? Answer: 1x, 2012, the other years they were ranked 16, 24, 16, 12 (based on NFL.com base ranking which is yards per game), wanna go PPG, 16th, 11, 4th, 14th, 3rd. Even under Lovie the D was faltering. That's what happens when you don't draft well for 5-10 years. Now those playmakers that were here are either past their prime or gone.

THIS D now has 3 young LB's as backups, 2 of which are out of position or shouldn't be on an NFL team; Bostic is a Will being asked to play MLB b/c there is no one else to do it after DJ Williams. Shea is being asked to play SAM and/or MLB and he's not capable of doing either he's at best a 3-4 OLB he doesn't have the coverage skills to handle anything else...and I'm not sure he'd be a starter on a 3-4 team, honestly he sucks. Greene is the only one that is being asked to play his natural position(Will) and he's actually looked the best of the 3, go figure.

The D now has 4 new S's, none of which are quality starters, and Conte is worse then just about all of them. Wilson is old and coming of injury, Mundy is a journeymen whose last 2 teams pride themselves on D and didn't want him, MDJ is so bad the GB players were not only glad he was gone, were happy the Bears signed him, Vareen who is a 4th round rookie and McCray who is a career ST/backup guy....of the 4 McCray has looked the best. That's how bad the S's are, the career ST'r is outplaying them.

The DL and CB's are the true strength of this team but 2 Tillman is on the wrong side of time, Jennings is still solid, and Fuller looks to be legit. The DL is full of studs but no matter how good your DL is, they aren't getting to the QB everytime, just isn't going to happen. That is going to put a TON of heat on the LB's, see above.

The starting LB's(Briggs/DJ)aren't getting a ton of playing time, the team is trying to get Shea/Bostic up to speed. The D is also trying to figure out what will and will not work come regular season, they aren't trying to stop teams in PS. The Sea's/SF's of the world already know what they are and what they can do, Chicago isn't there, there in the 1st year of a new system.

This is not your daddy's Def, hell it's not your Chicago D, it just isn't. This D is going to be asked to be middle of the road(which btw is all Lovie was offering most years recently). But the O should not be able to hold up it's side, and probably even more.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  20. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    866ß
    Agree with Ric, I posted many times in the past when we hired Trestman we became of Offensive team first. Its exciting to see the Defense being built up again but top 10 to 15 and the offense in top 5 will become the norm for the Trestman years IMHO. The D will be better than last year and may occassionally get into the top 5 but my expectation is to be in the top half with a powerful Offense in the top 5.
    • Like Like x 1