What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß

But there is no reason not to think the Bears w/even an average D shouldn't be able to beat them 2x's if the O continues to be elite, right. And is there any reason to think that if the Bears only had a fraction of those injuries that they wouldn't have been at least in the top 20 range last year? If that's the case and we can all agree that this D is better then last year then isn't it easy to assume they'll make it into the average range?

again get off the cliff, get on your PC and find me all those Packer injuries.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    oh, I agree. Never said anything about that. All I said was that the D did not look as good as I thought it should have with the new influx of talent, and that I was seeing some of the same indicators that beleaguered our D last year. After that I don't remember much because that's when I think the shit hit the fan.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    Where did I point to Packers injuries?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,022 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    You're right in that it's too early to tell. I do agree with that. I'm more in the "concerned" stage at this point. And even if we look disappointing against Seattle Friday, I realize that isn't going to define our season. On a positive note, I look at Friday as a nice opportunity for the D to silence the critics (like me). And I don't expect Shea to magically become Dick Bukus. But I would like to see some real improvement from the defense in general, and the linebackers in particular.

A season is a long event. I'm hanging on for the ride :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    no idea, it was in one of the posts by JABF, I thought you had agreed w/it :)

Btw here it is:

• T Don Barclay (knee, did not practice)
    • C Evan Dietrich-Smith (knee, limited participation)
    • CB Casey Hayward (hamstring, did not practice)
    • DT Johnny Jolly (groin, did not practice)
    • LB Clay Matthews (thumb, full participation)
    • LB Andy Mulumba (ankle, limited participation)
    • LB Mike Neal (abdomen, limited participation)
    • CB James Nixon (knee, did not practice)
    • LB Nick Perry (foot/ankle, did not practice)
    • DT Ryan Pickett (knee, limited participation)
    • QB Aaron Rodgers (collarbone, did not practice)
    • CB Sam Shields (hamstring, did not practice)
    • WR Randall Cobb
    • WR James Jones

Lets count the Probowlers

I see 2 pro bowlers they lost.....OOOOOOooooo the devestation! one on each side of the ball mind you.

Lets take a look at what the Bears lost

LB Briggs perennial PB'r
    CB Tillman 2x PB'r
    DT Melton PB'r
    QB Jay Cutler PB'r

4 pro bowlers, 4 leaders. And that's a fraction of who they actually lost. Not to mention losing the key leader to the D in Urlacher, and many of the team still feeling the sting of losing Lovie. So lets stop pretending that the amount of injuries the Packers had was somehow relevant to what the Bears faced; AND the Bears were still 1-2 plays away from beating them.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    The defense was what the defense was? Whether you like it or. Not it went from being one of the worst in he league when del rio called the plays to one of the best when tucker called the plays. Facts are facts. Further he was retained after del rio was fired in 2011. He as named the interim head coach and was the defensive coordinator/asst. head coach in 2012.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Pretty sure that's what I said...no?

"Did we, or did we not go 1-1 and almost 2-0 against the packers with the worst defense in the league?"
  8. 50YearFrustration

50YearFrustration Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    I hope the Bears are just being vanilla with their schemes. Still, even basic keys are not being executed properly. How many times does have a team have to see a bootleg to not let the QB get outside?! That is on the coach and the players.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Open lanes for running backs?

First drive Gerhart rushed for a total of 3 yards on 4 attempts. 23 yards total in the 2 drives after that. It wasn't like it was the sieve that it was last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    nah... just like it's no excuse for Tucker, it's no excuse for the fudgepackers. Injuries happen.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,659ß
    That's just it. I'm sure they are playing more vanilla than they will be, but this is where they hone out the man vs man stuff and the technique stuff.

I'm just waiting to see what happens this week. It will be an interesting test.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    You're an idiot to think there was a reference about GB injuries and "what the Bears faced".

The reference was that GB seems to do just fine with injuries.

How many games did Rogers miss last year? When a star player on the Bears gets injured it become a reason for mediocrity.

Yeah we almost beat them twice. Did you even watch the games? They ran over us after Rogers left our first meeting. Yeah we won by a dominating 7 points. Yeah it's enough to win, but they RAN the ball when their star QB just got hurt. How hard is that to scheme against? Yet we couldn't stop it.

You can draft and sign players based on what you see on paper, good luck. Paper doesn't mean anything.

Former Pro-Bowl selections don't mean anything when counting our injuries. That simply does not justify our ass beatings.

When you don't buy into a system or understand the system, I'm sure people are being a little more delicate and don't fight to stay in the game. I'm not the only person to see this. Haven't you read all the media questions, and statements by players talking about buying into the system since Lovie left? Injuries are as easy to blame as anything else. Our defense dropped off the charts in one year! Urlacher was that good? Bullshit!

So play whatever argument you wish, there are a lot of others out there with the same eye sight as myself. Players dogged it last year! Find a stat that documents that? Oh wait, I did. Too many to list.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    After Del Rio was terminated, Tucker lasted how long? He wasn't retained because? Named Interim HC but yet they went with Babbich?

His defense was "the BEST" yet they fired him?

In 2012, his defense was so good it kept them in the game for maybe 2 games.

How bad has OUR offense been under Lovie? How many games did our ST and Def win for us? Yeah that didn't happen in Jacksonville.

Say what you will, I watched the Jags games. Same defense, different team (now in Chicago)
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ski-Whiz

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    Maybe you didn't see the 18 yarder in the first quarter?

Maybe you didn't see the rest of the game, but they had runs of 12, 18, and 13. Yeah nothing like a 40+ yard run, but honestly I feel it was only a matter of time. They had better success than we did with Forte.

As the game progressed the starters were removed, but you can't blame their 13-0 start all on penalties.

Remember this is the Jaguars! We have TONS more talent then they do.

I'm confident our offense would have pulled us to victory, but our defense didn't stop anything. Regardless of what the reason.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Again...they didn't fire Tucker...why is this so hard to understand? They fired Del Rio in season, named Tucker interim coach, then named him DC/Asst. Head coach when they hired Mularkey to be the head coach. Mularkey was fired after 1 year and Tucker was then named the DC of the Bears, Babbich is the DC for the new Jaguars coach Gus Bradley. For a guy who lives in the area and says he watches the games, why do I know more about their coaching staff than you do?

As for Jacksonvilles defense not winning games for it's team...when did the Bears offense ever rank last in the league? When Tucker had that defensive unit as a top 10 defense, you know what the offense ranked? 32nd!!!!! LAST!!!!!
    • Like Like x 1
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    I did...it came on their second possession...after they rushed for a total of 3 yards their first possession. They then proceeded to run for -2 yards and 2 yards. On their 3rd possession they ran for 4 yards, -3 yards, and 3 yards. On their 4th drive they ran for 6 yards, 1 yard, and 1 yard. On their 5th drive they ran for 5 yards and 0 yards. On their 6th and final drive of the first half they ran for 6 yards. That is directly from the play by play!

I could care less what happens with second and third stringers. They had 3 10 plus yard runs...thats not bad at all! And yes...they would have been off the field on a lot of those drives if the NFL was not trying to emphasize the no contact rule beyond 5 yards...
    • Like Like x 1
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Also...like I said before...the Jaguars will be MUCH better this year!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,022 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    That could be, but they are still a 4-12 team until they prove otherwise. Just like we are still an 8-8 team until we prove otherwise. I believe that old time saying "you are who your record SAYS you are."
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Well...it's a new season...so technically there are no records for these teams. In this league you can go from worst to first and vice versa very easily.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,022 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    You're right about that. Great point. Hopefully we're a team on the way up. Bigtime up :-)
    • Like Like x 1