What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. Bad coaching or scheme.

12 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Bad players.

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. Nothing is wrong. We're just as good as those teams like Seattle.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. It's just "preseason" and those other teams like Seattle are just better preseason teams.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Other (let us know what you think is wrong)

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  1. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +764 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    524ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    That's all I wanted, if we could have had that last year we could have had a a chance to face Seattle.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,420 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,904ß
    I think the D was slightly better then that last year, but Melton/Briggs/Tillman/Collins all went down and Peppers/Paea were playing hurt(pep just might be old) and Shea was actually in the starting lineup as DE b/c Wooton had to play DT. The D went from above average to awful b/c of the injuries. That's why I'm not worried about this year, I don't have any doubt they can play AVERAGE in today's NFL. I do have concerns about the LB's and S's, but we aren't seeing the starters play in PS at those 2 positions so we're just going to have to trust the coaches until we see what the D really looks like.

3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,798 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,860ß
    They were talking on the radio the other day, sounded like they were saying the Bears don't really scheme their defense for other teams in the preseason like they would in the regular season. That they don't study film and game plan differently based on what an offense would do, just going through the motions getting into game play mode.

That's not a word for word re telling of what I heard, but pretty much sums things up. I think ZZ mentioned that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

Ratings:
    +101 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    Sucks at that too.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,442 / 13 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    yeah, pretty standard for the preseason. Teams just looking at technique, improvement, footballs smarts, ability to beat out their man (whether a CB, WR, DL, OL, etc).

6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,530ß
    Solid post ric.

7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    The D has to be good enough to allow us to win. It's that simple. If we're expecting to be champions then yes, we need to beat teams like the Packers. It's that simple. Yes we need to be able to beat GOOD teams too, and that will take a decent defense (teams like San Francisco and Seattle and yes Payton Manning's Broncos) - if - we expect to be champions. This is how Seattle does it anyway.

Now, if the expectation is to be what we are, a middle of the road team that sucks hind tit to the Packers in our own division, then it doesn't matter what we do on defense - or offense for that matter.

But if the expectation is to be a championship team, like the one we'll face on Friday, then yes, the D has to be better than what we have so far. That's my 2-cents worth anyway. We used to have this same discussion when Lovie Smith and Jerry Angelo were here - but then it was about the offense.

8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,442 / 13 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,503ß
    JABF, to be fair (I have not been impressed by what I have seen thus far on defense either -- especially given the talent), I want to stay optimistic and say "the D has to be better than what we have so far" yet!

There are also enough things I am reading that lead me to believe that progression is still being seen. I am not impressed thus far, but it's far from over. Only two preseason games so far.

9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    I understand that we're a work in progress on defense. The starters have 1 more preseason game to be ready for prime time (the starters won't get much playing in that 4th PS game) so it's not over yet. I don't expect anything near perfection at this point, but I did expect to see something better than what we have - even in preseason. Can the defense get better? Sure. Can it get to where we can beat Aaron Rodgers and the Packers and be division champions again? I'm not sure. Can it get to where we are a relevant team again, one that can win a Super Bowl (a powerhouse team like Seattle)? Man, we have a LONG ways to go for that.

But can we continue to beat bad teams? Yes. Our offense alone can do this. But we are not going to ride Jay's arm (alone without a decent D) to any super bowls here in Chicago. I know the Bears have pumped considerable resources into the defense this past year and that's as it should be. Now let's see what Tucker can do with those resources. So far he hasn't shown much. But we do have 1 more game with the D starters to show some growth. Let's see what we do against Seattle on Friday. We'll know more then if we're the real deal this season, or in for another 8-8 type year.

10. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,229 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,104ß
    so why did Denver and Miami trade Marshall?

what makes our line different today than when lovie was here?
    coaches maybe?