What happened to our playmakers on defense? Is this coaching or talent?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 16, 2014.

?

What is wrong with this D?

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    lol... you verbalized (typealized?) what a lot of us were thinking.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Your eyes are a deep shade of bullshit and it's obviously blinded you.
  3. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    see above, no team suffers those injuries to their stars, their leaders and has a successful season, and if you think GB thought their 9-8-1 1 and done in the playoffs was a success, then there in lies the problem. And that happened w/a fraction of their team's key stars hurt.
  4. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +371 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    Agressive? T. Jennings gunned the right side of the line on the 4th play of the first drive and wiped Gerharts feet out from under him for no gain.
    Agressive? Jon Bostic blew up not only Gerhart but the left tackle Joeckle as well - really DJ Williams, Jared Allen, Peanut, and Bostic smeared Gerharts ass. There wasn't a better play - a more aggressive play - in the entire 1st quarter of the Seahwak's game that I saw.
    Aggressive
    ? The 4th play of the second Jag possession, Jared Allen man handles LT Joeckle strings him out on the left side and wallops Gerhart. For good measure Briggs comes down and lays the fucking smack down on Gerhart too.
    Aggressive? On the 7th play of the Jags second possession Jennings shoots the right side again this time leveling Mike Brown forcing him to drop the ball and his body to the Solider turf.
    Aggressive? 9th play, same drive, Jon Bostic shoots the gap betwen the left guard and center and flies at Chad Henne. While the play ended up being a 14 yard gain, this was an extremely passionate aggressive play. If the RB hadn't clipped a piece of Bostics foot, that sack would have been all we talk about this week.
    Aggressive? 1st play after Weems fumble, Stephen Paea, Jerimiah Ratliff, Lamar Houston, and Jared Allen O-FUCKING-BLITERATE the ofensive line and smear Henne for a 4 yard sack.
    Aggressive? Two plays later Trevor Scott shreds the right side and smears a stumbling Chad Henne for a 9 yard loss.
    Aggressive? The very next play SHea McC and the entire right side eat up Todman's pathetic little rush for a 3 yard loss.

What's the aggressive play making you're referring to in the Seattle game (1st QTR)? The Bears had a few...

I call bullshit on this. I've watched almost all the preseason games with an attentive eye geared at the D and I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm rewatching the Seattle game right now and their defense got gashed almost as bad as our defense on the Charger's opening drive a 9 play 33 yard drive - which is the only drive I care to compare since Phillip Rivers was yanked after it. The first three plays of the game - similar to the Bears Jaguar's game - were rushes of 4, 5, and 1 yard by the likes of Danny Woodhead and Donald Brown. None of the hits that Seattle laid out were inspiring, and few seemed particularly impassioned by the players. In fact, I would dare say the Bears defense looked better than that of the Seahawks in the first quarter of the game. The Seahwaks just didn't have to sit on the field like the Bear's D did because the Seahwaks ofense was more productive.

I know this is coming relatively late in the progression of this thread - which mainly seems to be a Tucker hate fest - but the Bears D looked pretty good during the first quarter. There were a couple of penalties and a fumble by the ex-Bear that fucked them, Gerhart gashed DJ Williams on the left end, but other than that they looked pretty good, especially in the red zone where they held the to two field goals.

If you want to blame a unit of the Bears blame the offense and the special teams. The offense - the Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Matt Forte, Marty B. Jay Cutler offense - went three and out on their first possession and STeams - Weems specifically- dumped the ball on the ground in the Red Zone.

It's awfully early in the year for this kind of pessimism.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß

F'ing THANK YOU!!!!! If ANYTHING they were TOO aggressive leaving the middle of the field open. The D wasn't TRYING to stop anything, they were looking to see what blitz packages worked and didn't w/what personnel imo.

The above post needs 100K likes and Bears Downs!
    • Like Like x 1
  6. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    Well usually it's game 3 of the preseason that teams start the players that they think will start the regular season so i'm curious to see who gets the start at MLB and SLB which i'm thinking will be DJ and Shea and i'm really curious about our safeties cause they've started McCray at FS both games which i was a little shocked by but i think they want Conte at FS and Mundy or Wilson at SS with Mundy getting the edge there. I was hoping to see them give Mundy some time at FS cause i would love to of seen Mundy and Wilson be our starters.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Yeah, who would want the Seattle defense when we have Tucker's. Right? On a more serious note, my hope is that the Bears can be a great defense like the Super Bowl champs. But good for you for thinking we're a great defense. Go Bears.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    That's what you took out of that? You and Soul keep talking about the lack of aggression of the Bears D, but that isn't the issue, especially against the Jags. Again 2 teams, 2 different places. Sea knows exactly what they are and can do, the Bears are still figuring that out, means the teams are going into PS doing 2 completely different things.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Me to, in that aspect I am concerned about the management of this team. I don't think there has been near the open competition they have talked about. Shea is all but guaranteed the starting SAM spot b/c he's really the only one to have done it. Conte is guaranteed a spot b/c Mundy and Wilson are in competition for the opposite end, and unless Conte just completely blows it, they aren't replacing him w/McCray(even though he has looked like our best S).
    The Palmer/Clausen will seal the deal on this though. If Palmer somehow remains the backup, or on this team at all, then I'm calling a full fledged BS festival on the entire "competition" "may the best man win" fest that took place all offseason.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Ric I see real problems with our defense. I see people out of position. I see guys like Shea looking like a deer in the headlights. But I look at that Seattle defense and understand WHY they beat Payton Manning's team in the Super Bowl.

Look. I agree with you 100% you can't compare the Bears D with the Seattle D. There is no comparison. Not yet anyway. I also agree with you that the Bears are "still figuring it all out" and that's my point. Maybe I'm not being clear here. I'm not trying to be an asshole about this. Just pointing out the difference between our situation now, and where we ultimately need to be. It's a wide gulf at this point. Tucker may or may not be part of the problem. Hope this all works out and we have a great defense this year and Tucker is Chicago's man of the year. But I'm not drinking the Tucker kool aid yet. Maybe later when he's put together a solid defense here in Chicago. But not yet. I guess this irritates some folks on the messageboard tonight who don't want to read anything negative about our defense.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +371 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    With a frequently CAP PUNCTUATED RANT on the Bear's D, you made a comparison between the pre-season play of every other team in the NFL and the Bear's Ds pre-season play; Let me remind you of your opening claim
    I took you up on your claim - I went back and re watched them and I didn't see anything particularly aggressive. The major difference in the Seahawk's game was their offense and the inability of the Charger's D to use their alpha dog mentality to impose their will on the other team.

If what you really meant to say is "I went back to my memory of the Seahawks D last year and they imposed their will on teams better than the Chicago Bear's defense did last year - I'll shut the fuck up and hit the agree button. But you didn't. This is a new year. Emery made a lot of BIG FUCKING MOVES to shore up this defense. They aren't firing on all cylinders yet, but to say they don't look aggressive is a bullshit statement that denies the reality of the games they've played, specifically Thursday's game. They have areas to improve, but there are a lot of new players who are picking this thing up right now. Think about how many new 1st string / 2nd string players we are going to have on this team:
    Allen, Houston, Scott, Young, Ferguson, Sutton, Lane, Jones, Vereen, Mundy, Wilson, McCray to name just a few.

Is the Bear D this year gonna be the Seattle D of last year - fuck no. Are they going to be better than last year - yes. It's going to take them time to get to the top of the stat sheet. As Ricza and plenty of others have posted (yourself included), they don't need to be the best, they need to be better and they need the offense to keep their game up. I see a lot of improvements this year that I am extremely fucking happy about as a Bears fan.

I'm not gonna bow my head and frown because there are problems. I'm going to keep encouraging this team, these new players, this new coaching staff to keep doing the awesome things they are doing so we can have some consistency and some success not just this year, but for years to come.

I think one of the primary things Championships teams have are fan bases and ownership teams that are willing to give their coaches some time before they throw them out of the door.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Hey, sorry if I hit a nerve. I stand by my comments. But hope we have a great year.
  13. B-ell-y-iot

Ratings:
    +371 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    350ß
    No nerves hit here. Just logic. You stand by illogical statements devoid of facts or proof.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean then. Hey, I'm just stating an opinion. Nothing more than that. I (seriously) respect your opinion. We don't have to agree. This is a messageboard. People often see things differently, and like I said, I do respect your opinion. And maybe I'm dead wrong on all of this. Maybe.

We'll see how this all unfolds. I am still hopeful we see a much improved defense. I'm not expecting us to be a great defense this season, but hope we're much improved. We don't have to be a Seattle level D for the season to be a success. I'm okay with that. But right now I'm seeing a D that does worry me. We are a work in progress. But we can agree to disagree on this.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    JABF, but Shea isn't going to be seeing starter min's on the field, their base is going to be nickle. And Bostic isn't going to be seeing starter min's, that Briggs and Williams. So you are comparing our backups to Sea's starters. You are comparing, in pre season, a SB champion team built around their Def, to a rebuilding team who's built around their O. See the problem w/that comparison?

Want to go look at a real mess, look at Lovie and TB, an NFC team who's built around their D, and that will have to go through Sea also but who's Def isn't going to be much better then Chicago's. Same w/the NYG's. Chicago is in a far better place; and there are some people talking about how all this D needs to be is healthy to take the North; and I'm talking guys on ESPN and the NFL Network, not exactly 2 groups known for touting the Bears.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,714 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß

I do get your point about Shea maybe not being the starter, and our eventual starting lineup could be better. I'm just trying to make two points. And I fully admit I'm not making them very well from the feedback here tonight. My points are this:

1. Our defense worries me at this point. The D doesn't look so hot to me.
    2. In the course of this thread I mentioned that I admire the Seattle defense, and that I'm seeing other teams this preseason that do look stout, and I wish we did too. I guess that is a comparison. But not intended to mean I expect Bears = Seattle on defense. Yes, that would be pretty crazy.

I don't think anyone believes we're comparable to Seattle's D at this point. Certainly I am not comparing us to them. My point is that I'd like for us to ultimately be like them - a team with a very stout D. That's all. I "get it" though that I've ticked some people off with this. I really didn't expect that.

I get it that everyone wants to feel the warm fuzzies at this point in the year. I do too. But when I see things that worry me about the season I figure it's okay to point that out and discuss it here.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,895 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,219ß
    count me in as someone that did not see an aggressive Bears D. So sue me.
  18. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +209 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    163ß
    Your point is clear and other fans have the same concerns. You can be a fan and still be critical of the teams performance.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +129 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    138ß
    While this defense still has work to do in order to become a top defense, I do see an improvement over last year's squad. In these two games alone, they've generated more of a pass rush than they did all last season.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,331 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Well the D worries me a little also, but it's not the primary focus of this team anymore so my concerns are mitigated as to what the expectations are.

I'd love for the Bears to have the top O and D, but that just isn't practical 2 years into Trestman's run. Really 2 years into Emery's run also now that Lovie isn't getting to have a say on the roster. We all know the team was thin all around really even at the starting level in some areas; you just don't fix that in 2yrs.

I think you and Soul and others mistook lack of aggression for a soft middle of the field which allowed easy passes for huge chunks of yards w/Bostic/Shea in there. But again that was there b/c of the blitz packages they were running. Blitzes are by definition aggression. It wasn't a lack of aggression, it was over aggressiveness that you saw.

I don't believe that's what they plan on doing in the regular season which is why I'm not concerned. They are practicing to get game film on what works and doesn't, and they were getting game tape on Shea and Bostic to continue to teach them what they are doing wrong. Like B-elly pointed out Shea did improve and while was slow in some of his pass coverages was at least in the same area. My problem w/Shea is he's always close and never actually there. He leads the team in "disruptions" which in reality are nothing but missed sacks, and to me it looks like he's going to lead the league in "almost pass breakups" which in reality is nothing more then yards given up. But again he's not going to see the field much so not to worried.

My concerns are still Briggs/Tillman/DJ's health b/c I don't want to see Shea/Bostic/Greene starting again, and I am worried about the CB depth after the starters. Want concerns, I'm REALLY concerned about the ST's play. It seems they were all about Chris Williams and Weems, now one is hurt and the other is cut. That leaves Ford, who is right now not impressive either and is actually on the outside looking in on making them team.

I think we'd all like the Bears to look like Sea or SF or Balt or Den, teams that have gotten into the playoff recently and made runs at the SB, It's what I want, but my wants and my expectations aren't at the same point yet. I still see a team that is about 1-2 offseasons away from being really stout on all sides of the ball and ready to make deep runs in the playoffs consistently.

That being said I do think the team could make a run and make the playoffs I think this team can compete w/the Packers who's Def is likely going to be worse then the Bears. I think they can compete w/the Lions who are going to probably take a huge step forward now that they have a coach w/a basic understanding of how teams w/a winning culture act. I think the Bears are right now a upper tier team but a solid notch below the elite's....which is still better then they were 2-3 years ago when they were mired with the Dallas Cowboy's of the NFL world.
    • Like Like x 3