What if Lovie had hired Trestman in 2004?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Aenir

Aenir Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    16ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I honestly think if Trestman is here in 04, Rex's 04-05 Injuries don't happen, Different blocking schemes, different plays, Rex never busts a ligament diving for that TD, maybe he passes it corner endzone. Maybe the OL picks up that Rams blitzer before he shish-ka-bob's rex's leg. And IF rex is never hurt, he doesn't become mental midget and get scared when pressure comes. I remember in 03 and pre injury 04, He was a different quarterback than what we saw later. Not scared, could move in the pocket or out, with the good arm.

2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Yeah, those WERE freak injuries. Honestly, the only thing that could've saved Rex would be a smarter offensive coordinator (which Trestman absolutely would have been), and his gunslinger mentality curbed (You can see Trestman's MOSTLY got Jay out of it, but there's still those passes). I really don't think Rex would've done it, but if would have become the QB we were hoping, hell, we coulda had 2 Super Bowls with that roster. Imagine a good offense with Hester in his prime, either returning kicks, or having the punter kick it out of bounds.

• Like Like x 1
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    He also sucked in Arizona which is why they let him walk. He didn't start having those "great" TJ seasons until he was w/Chicago and the Jets. He didn't average over 4ypc until he left Az, which is my point he didn't play well until he was behind Stud OL's, thanks for proving my point.

It's easy for a starting RB w/a good OL to have 1000k seasons, that's not a huge accomplishment anymore, it's like 63ypg and if you're a RB that gets more then 15 touches a game and can average 4ypc(w/a good OL you should) then you're going to have 1K yards.

I'm not a fan of Benson, I just understood that the JA took the best available player at #4 b/c he had not choice to draft at #4, no one wanted that pick. I understand that Benson did himself no favors, by holding out, but I also understand that TJ was a petty bitch that divided the locker room b/c he was scared of losing his job, and then forced his way out of Chi-Town to leave the team to deal w/his divisive attitude.

Neither were great RB's, both were easily replaced by dozens of RB's in the league. They are in the "dime a dozen" of rb's crowd and easily replaced. Forte is 10x's the back they were, combined. If either of those two schlubs had ever had to run behind the OL's Forte did they'd be crushed and would have fumbled themselves out of the league long before they actually retired.

As for Rex, I think his biggest problem was he wasn't tall enough to see over the OL, and in FL he was never asked to pre read a D so he couldn't; his instinct from his college days was if he couldn't see a guy open and chuck it to let the WR make a play on the ball; and that just doesn't work in the NFL.

• Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,779ß
    We can agree to disagree on that one Ric. I'll admit though, that I am very biased when it comes to Cedric Benson. He is my #1 most disliked Bear from over the past 50 or so years. And, FWIW, I always like TJ a lot. I thought he always gave 100% to the team, and was a valuable weapon on offense.

When we finally let Cedric walk, and got NOTHING in return for a 4th overall pick of the draft. It made me crazy. Still does, to be honest with you.

To put that into perspective, our last two #4 overall draft picks (prior to the Benson pick) are both in the Hall of Fame now - Walter Payton was a #4, and Dan Hampton was picked at #4.

Cedric? He's not even in the NFL now.

Don't get me going. It's cool though. We can disagree 1000% with each other on this one. TJ was one of my favorite "Blue Collar" lunchbox guys on the Chicago Bears. We NEVER should have blown that #4 draft pick on Cedric Benson.

Here are just some of the people who were available to pick at #4. Many of these guys are still playing. The bottom-line is that there were high quality players to be had with the #4. We got crap for the pick. Absolute crap.

DeMarcus Ware
    Logan Mankins
    Aaron Rodgers
    Roddy White
    Frank Gore
    Vincent Jackson
    Trent Cole
    Michael Roos
    Derrick O. Johnson
    Jay Ratliff
    Justin Tuck
    Jammal Brown
    Lofa Tatupu
    Kerry Rhodes
    Chris Myers
    Mike Patterson
    Todd Herremans
    Khalif Barnes
    Jonathan Babineaux
    Darren Sproles
    Carlos Rogers
    David Stewart
    Antrel Rolle
    Barrett Ruud
    Shawne Merriman
    Michael Boley
    LeRoy Hill
    Kirk Morrison
    Heath Miller
    Chris Spencer
    Richie Incognito
    Nick Kaczur
    Brandon Jacobs
    Chris L. Canty
    Ryan Fitzpatrick
    David Baas
    Kevin Burnett
    Corey Webster

5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,770ß
    Again I'm not a fan of Benson, he did himself no favors at all, and I'm glad the NFL has created a rookie scale to prevent this from becoming an issue in the future. I thought both backs in the same backfield owuld have benefitted greatly from one another though, and I thought both were good backs. I have no issue w/TJ other then the over love he gets from Bears fans as they ignore him being part of the problem. You don't have to like it, but it was stated fact that TJ split that locker room, and it was fully disclosed on multiple radio shows in Chicago at the time.

all revisionist history JABF, none were rated higher that year by ANY club then Benson was! Wanna go back 10 years later over every draft and pick winners and losers based on who teams could have had?!?!?! Every GM will look bad, but they go w/who is the highest rated guy on their board at THAT time, and while everyone knew the top of that draft was weak, those guys were still rated higher then anyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Yeah, nobody on that list was going to get drafted higher than the 3 runningbacks picked that year. Also, ric and I are NOT criticizing TJ from the perspective of a Benson fan. TJ WAS a prima donna, and as evidenced by his time in Cincinnati, Benson had the talent, and everything points to that locker room as being the reason why he didn't realize his potential. As Trestman has shown, he wouldn't tolerate the kind of crap Lovie let his players get away with.

• Like Like x 2
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,779ß
    Ric & Henry. All good points. ^^^^^^

8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Honestly, I think Angelo would've gone defense with a pick, if he got to move back, and DeMarcus Ware would've been the pick, is my guess, just because Ogunleye didn't match the hype his first season, and since he drafted Mark Anderson as a pass rusher. Or he easily could've gone with another safety, and there were a few there, but it's a damn shame no team wanted to trade up.

9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    REgardless of who our OC was they would had problems due to the personal and the picks made by lovie and angelo

10. ticat

ticat Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    To early, I think this is one of those ''everything happens for a reason'' moment. He needed to go to the CFL to become the coach he is today.