What is your realistic & honest prediction for when we will be a Super Bowl contender?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 3, 2013.

?

When we will be a Super Bowl contender?

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    Honest and realistic. This is not asking when you would like us to be there, but rather when do you think the Bears realistically will be a Super Bowl contender? Obviously it's just a guess on our part at best.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß
    JABF, really hard to tell because it seems to be a moving target. I would have said next year or the two following that. But that was before the year started and the D proved to be really bad. So now you have another rebuild that will take more than one year. And that is before we have finished rebuilding what we had already started.

I would say a minimum of two years, but Emery does not let much grass grow under his feet. And who knows, while I have no faith in Tucker, I would still like to be proven wrong and see him put together a top D next year. If he does, and we keep scoring like we have been, then next year becomes a reality again.

Realistically, I don't see that, so I think 2-5 years.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    I get angry thinking about how the window of opportunity closed on our defense. All those years of solid defenses, without being able to put together enough offense to win a Super Bowl. Opportunity lost.
  4. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,570 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    789ß

Well, what can you do? Lovie was good enough to be sure he won enough to stay employed and we had no one up until George came along that was tired of the status quo. Given the climate of acceptance of the mediocrity, we just kept going along.

Emery has his warts, certainly... but I view him as a competent GM. Stuff breaks and he is out there trying to get it fixed. I don't like the Shea pick. I was kind of ok with it thinking that he could develop, but I don't see it. Hardin was another wiff, but he has gotten more talent in a few years than JA had in four times that period of time. And if JA were still here, we would not have been looking until next FA. And then wiffed on that right before wiffing in the next draft.

You have to take the long term approach. I trust we are now capable of developing offensive talent. The jury is still out on Cutler even though he has improved. But for the first time, if they let him go I feel like we are doing it from a point of strength becuas eI trust Trestman and Emery not to let him go unless there is a viable plan.

What I am most concerned about is the D. I have no real reason for their collapse. Injuries only answer so much. We may be in for a bleak period there if Trestman is as loyal to his coaches as Lovie was (Tice, anyone?)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Two trains passing in the night, JABF. Just as the offense was starting to arrive at the station, the defense was already on the midnight train outta town.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    i really dont think theres a realistic chance well go to SB next season, just too many pieces missing, my take is SB 2016 or 2017, with a new QB
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Honestly, if the entire offense progresses, it's realistic to be contenders within a year. In the NFL, there's an average turnover of a good portion of the playoff teams, and I really want to see how the chips will fall in the offseason before making any predictions just for next year. Honestly though, the way Emery hit the draft this year gives me a hell of a lot more optimism than the mistake he made in drafting McClellin or Hardin. Seriously, your first and fifth round picks are playing exceptionally well, and all five are playing the field. How many times do you remember Angelo having 5 players from his draft even make the roster that season? If we go away from Jay Cutler, I can't imagine, though, that we'll be legitimate contenders for 2014, but having an understudy while restocking the defense could have this team going through a pretty quick "rebuilding phase". Look how long it took the Colts, Chiefs and Seahawks to rebuild from **** status.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +846 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    767ß
    With Cutler 2014, with rookie QB in about 5 years.
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    It doesn't take that long in the NFL, anymore. Matt Ryan, Andrew Luck, Colin Kaepernick, Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson made their teams legitimate within 2 years.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    FWIW, I absolutely LOVE that analogy. It's our situation "to a T" here in Chicago.
  11. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +325 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß

BEST-CASE scenario.....2 years. WORST-CASE.....NEVER!!!! :eek:
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,385 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    All of those are excellent points, Henry. I too am encouraged by this 2013 draft by Emery, being more indicative of his skill, than 2012 was. If this is, in fact, accurate, then we're certainly capable of having a solid team soon. Obviously, it's all guess work by us fans right now. But I have a feeling that this coming 2014 season may be somewhat like that 1984 season. There's been a talent upgrade begun already THIS year, and Alshon Jeffery was a solid addition the year before this. Now, if Emery can build on this with a rock solid 2014 draft, I believe we'll be in the playoffs in '14. And I'm not talking about backing into the playoffs as a pretender, but as a fairly strong and competitive team. Then in 2015, we should roll out the "finished product" for a serious Super Bowl run. A season where we could actually WIN a SB.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Yeah, and keep in mind, he didn't hype McClellin as much as he did Kyle Long, and that shows he obviously knew there was a difference in quality there. Hell, even Angelo learned to avoid drafting DE's like that bum out of Penn State. Whatever reason he drafted McClellin over any of the other, better defensive ends still remaining on the board, I'm sure will stay in his mind when evaluating talent. I think cutting Brandon Hardin as quickly as he did shows he's not going to be arrogant about it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Next year could be a big year, if the defense is addressed the same way the offense was. However I really think that if we want to compete in 15 the offense will have it's 3rd year (assuming we stay with Cutler) and the rebuild D will be in it's second year.

Flacco was in his last year of his rookie contract before he won the big one, and he had been to the playoffs every year.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,887 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    I say three years at the soonest
  16. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +617 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    212ß
    I believe we're on a timetable for 2015, so I agree with this. 2014 we take care of the D, 2015 we pick up needed depth/development guys and we'll have been in one offense for the third year and it should be a fine tuned machine. It will be the D's 2nd year after rebuild, and it should also be barreling down the tracks also.
    • Agree Agree x 1