What position should the Bears draft in the first round?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 22, 2013.

?

What should the Bears draft in the first round?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,688 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    437ß
    Assuming the Bears finish with a middle of the pack pick (bad defense, no Cutler for at least four games if not more), what position would you like to see the Bears draft with their first round pick?

At the moment, the Bears have the 23 pick (according to NFL standings they have the 10th best record)
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2013
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I voted QB. We've had a couple of seasons get derailed now because of a Cutler injury. I draft a good young QB and re-sign Cutler too.

Yes the defense is suspect. But we're not going to solve the defensive woes in one draft/one offseason. How much of a difference will one first round defensive pick make on a team with so many holes?

If Cutler wasn't injured or if we had a nice young backup to go to, we could hope to outscore some opponents in spite of our defensive woes.

We can shore up the defense in the later rounds of the draft, through free agency, and through players already on the roster stepping up. (Frey, Wooton, Bostic, Greene, and Washington I'm looking at you)

Having a great defense is nice but where did that get us when Cutler was injured in the past? Bottom line is QB is the #1 position on the field and we've seen several times what an injury can do to your entire season when you have absolutely no depth at QB.

We need a good young QB who can step in when needed and can become the heir apparent when the time comes. Not comparing their skill sets but I want a Joe Montana/Steve Young, Drew Bledsoe/Tom Brady, Tom Brady/Matt Cassel, Brett Favre/Aaron Rodgers type of setup on my Bears.

As Bears fans, we asked for a 21st century NFL team. What is today's NFL team do you ask? One that plays so-so, OK, mediocre defense, gives up Alot of points, and has a high powered offense that outscores the opposition.

What you see before your eyes is our transition into that type of team. Our strength now is offense and the best cure for what ails our defense may be to keep stocking up the offense in preparation for the track meet, shootout type of games that were in store for.
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Depends, if we don't sign Cutler to a 2 year or more contract I would go with QB, if we however do I would go with CB. Even if we sign both Jennings and Tillman, Tillman is gonna miss some playtime and we don't have quality backup CB. Tillman is getting older and he is injuried more and more.

CB
    DE
    Safety
    LB/DT
    CB
    DE/DT
    C/QB/Speedy WR

@BIM even tho offense is the way to win Superbowls these days you can't have a defense that can't stop the opponents offense. Look at the top teams, Packers, Saints, Pats, they are all high power offense but they still have a good defense. Our defense sucks, and in a shoot out battle we're gonna lose because our defense can't stop jackshit.
    The only way this defense stops the offense is if they force a turnover..
  4. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +196 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    What you're saying about defense makes perfect sense.

I'm not saying to leave the defense in it's current sucky state by any means. You can still improve this defense and make it respectable but my point is, you don't have to do it in the first round of the draft.

We've had absolutely outstanding defensive play during Lovie Smith's tenure. But, we've already seen what can happen when you have a really good defense and no QB on offense (Or an injured QB after Cutler came to the Bears). After seeing this, we need a clear "Plan B" at QB. Re-sign Cutler and draft the guy who can be a competent backup and Cutler's heir apparent (if such a QB is available)

I say we improve the defense in the 2nd through 7th rounds of the draft, free agency, and the fact that guys like Wooton, Frey, and Bostic may get better and guys like Khaseem Greene and Cornelius Washington may become something special.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Always go BPA.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    i think will go DT/DE or QB
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +535 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    128ß
    BPA.

The team has to build through the draft, that won't happen drafting for need. That's what FA is for.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We need to pray all the teams that plan to get QBs next year have good season and that our season becomes a complete disaster. We need at least the second best QB. Aaron Rodgers was drafted as the 2nd best QB in 2005.
  9. ZifanQ

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Or we can take the best QB, Peyton was drafted as the best QB in 98'? We need to be lucky to get a top QB.. for me it seems more like luck than skills. You need to have the right mentality and get the right coach at the right team, and have the right tools at the right time..
  10. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    ummm let's see......DL DL DL DL DL DL CB CB CB S S S then back to DL DL DL DL DL DL.

I really wish we had 40-50 picks in next year's draft ;(
    • Like Like x 2
  11. ZifanQ

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    I wonder if Jerry Angelo could fuck all 50 picks up.. Past weeks I've been thinking that Emery seems like a high risk high reward kind of GM. Bennett, Marshall, Long, Shea, Jeffery, Hardin, M.Wilson, DJ. Williams, Anderson have all to some extent been high risk and high reward. Shea, Hardin, havn't worked out but everyone else which I consider high risk high rewards picks have been outstanding.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +533 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    143ß
    FA's all D draft all D look for scraps for the O.
  13. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    I agree Zifan, but you can also add the Evan Rodriguez experiment to the list of high risk/high reward misses.
  14. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Speaking of TE busts, I saw Vernon Davis catch a TD pass from Russell Wilson on Thursday.
  15. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +281 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Defense is obviously a need.

I say DL, mainly because of the drop in Peps play, Melton will likely still demand a pretty big contract (here or elsewhere).

If we stay with the 4-3 the key to that defense is the front 4, and if we switch to a 3-4 we are going to need a big guy in the middle and he is not on the roster.

I think the the First round might be too high for a run stuffing DT if we switch to 3-4 the second or third round might do, but if it is a stud DE, then 1st round is the place to get him.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,398 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    309ß
    I think the Bears should invest a 2nd or 3rd round pick on a QB, unless one falls to them in the first that they're absolutely willing to bet their careers on. The dream pick is that somehow Clowney falls from his projected number one spot in the draft, and while it's possible, it's not likely.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I'm a fan of bpa on a specific list of positions.

Those would be

QB
    DE
    DT
    CB
    S

Gime the most pro ready high talent guy off this list.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. motownbear

motownbear derp daderp daderpidity derp Staff Member Staff Member

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    qb move on from cutler and grab a qb trestman can unleash his offense with
  19. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,040 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    390ß

That post is so funny. First, Vernon Davis doesn't qualify as a bust, though he may not live up to your expectations. Second, I'm pretty sure he plays for the 49ers and Russell Wilson plays for the Seahawks. Was there a NFCW all star game last weekend I missed?
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. phatdude

phatdude Rookie

Ratings:
    +30 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This was a tough pick for me, and it looks (at the time of my posting) you guys are slit as well. I honestly say DEFENSE should be drafted. Assuming Jay heals, he's "good enough" to keep us going for another year. Jay proved he can still achieve great things this year. Sure he screwed up a couple of times, but his good out weighs the bad. Think about it, the D on average is ALWAYS bad. Sure with some luck we get some turnovers or even a Pick 6, but their basic fundamentals suck: missed tackles no pass rush. Jay is the "lesser of two evils" right now (assuming he recovers).