What position should the Bears draft in the first round?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Benjamin, Oct 22, 2013.

?

What should the Bears draft in the first round?

1. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    They have so many defensive free agents, a lot will depend on what they plan on doing scheme wise and who they decide to re-sign. Plus Peppers is due $14M next year. He may be cut (he has two more years on his contract and I'm not sure what salary cap ramifications that would have since he got a monster guaranteed bonuses).

Defensive Free agents: Melton, Tillman, Jennings, Nick Collins, James Anderson, DJ Williams, Craig Steltz, Corey Wooten
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Trackguy

Trackguy Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    lol, I'm pretty sure he meant our good friend Kellen Davis.
  3. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yes, Kellen caught a 1 yd TD pass this weekend. I didn't see it but it must have been a bad, high throw. Otherwise he would have dropped it.

His mother called him after the game to congratulate him but he dropped the call.
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Pay him no attention. He still thinks the Rams play in Los Angeles
  5. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß
    Jim Everett to Flipper Anderson, babycakes!
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,074 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,361ß
    Furthermore.... Can you really call a fifth round pick a bust?
  7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I am going to get some grief for what I am going to say but I will go ahead and say it. Trade Down. Why you ask? We have A LOT of holes (DE, DT, CB, S, QB and maybe C) and we only have six picks and we need at least 2-3 DL, 2 CB, 1 or 2 S, 1 QB and maybe 1 C (I still think Boggs should be given a shot but that's me.)
    • Like Like x 1
  8. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß
    BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:
  9. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    DT - let Melton walk
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    DT or DE
    And get a new DC before the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Should we have gotten a new HC and DC from 2007-2009 when the team was constantly finishing in the bottom 1/2 of the league defensively? You know the great and powerful Lovie never finished w/less then a top 5 D right; oh wait that myth is completely dispelled.

No coach will look good w/out talent, name the talent on this team that can make a coach look good on the D end and tell me Tucker is the problem.
  12. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +83 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    If Peppers is gone then you need a stud DE and then DT
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    BC, yep, but they might well go w/that via FA, depending on the money they have if/after resigning Cutty.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,781 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Within reason, we need to go with the best player available, especially if the "leftovers" for DL, when our pick comes available - are not even close to being at the proper value at that point. Please, no more Shea McLellan's. Grab the stud, that IS available (at any position) at that point. Don't pull an Angelo. Don't reach.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    The draft is very much like poker, you can play it the right way or the wrong way.

You can win playing the wrong way, and lose playing the right way, but odds are you'll win more often playing the right way. Phil reached 2x's w/his first 2 picks, one didn't work out well at all, the other he won big. Best to go BPA and take the highest rated player on the list and up your chances of success.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Sorry, I disagree. That's plainly untrue.

This D has gone from top-5 in the NFL to bottom-5 in less than one calendar year with overwhelmingly the same personnel. Urlacher was the only change among the 11 starters and he was widely panned as "over the hill" anyway. Remember that this D SUCKED BAD this year BEFORE the injuries piled up. Who else do you expect to have to answer for that???
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,781 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    I don't claim to have it figured out, but it seems to me that it was "a perfect storm" for failure. First, regarding Urlacher, we certainly miss his leadership and being the coach on the field, setting the defense.

But it's more than that......multiple factors contributed to this. Urlacher was our "coach on the field" but he couldn't play very well last year at all. He (IMHO) hurt our team last year with his play. I do believe Brian was an incredible asset setting the defense though.

But our woes go WAY beyond dropping a MLB who couldn't play worth crap anymore. I figure you have to consider the injuries, Pep dropping off the grid, crappy safeties, Peanut hurt all year with various injuries, and what appears to be a poor DC, well, it's the perfect storm. I just don't think it's one factor, but many.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Then explain the vast drop off from 05-06 and 07-09, and the vast improvements in 10-12? It was the same coaches, same players, minus Tommie until Peppers
  19. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    J-E-T-S

Ohh and btw... they drafted that new DL talent from the back of the first round in the draft. Different approach, but to be honest with ya I think D is easier to fix then the Offense. Much as I like dark blue, I agree that the modern NFL team is one sided and Trestman/Emery are on the right side. Defense is cheaper too...
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    It was not the playing of Urlacher we miss, it was the player... Pass Rush, Tackling, Injuries... Do we see any heart out there? looks like a bunch of wandering scarecrows. (Sorry Briggs, don't mean to pile on). I'm not saying you don't see some individual effort or successes but looking with the broad lens shows it missing. I'm not entirely sure if it was Urlacher, Lovie, Marinelli, or who took it, but players are not executing, and they are getting hurt.

If we are going to advance this year or anywhere down the road, it needs to get figured out. One draft pick won't solve anything, these are the same players who were better as a team last year.

Until we see some of that starting to come together... I'd prefer feeding the offense with BPA or whatever the staff feels best.
    QB, C, another TE ??

If you aren't able to put out a fire, you might as well pour some gas on it.
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013