What positions do you see as the weakest going into the new season?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jun 19, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    We've seen major upgrades on the roster, but where do you still see a need to upgrade? Where are we thin on depth? Where do you see a position that needs serious attention in next year's draft?
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    TE depth
    S starting and backup
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    I would add LB depth (and potentially starters) since McClellin, Bostic, Greene, Jones still need to prove themselves.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I think TE for sure.

It will also be interesting to see how the OL does this season. The run blocking needs to get better. I'm curious about the RT position too. We may be fine, but we may not. We'll know more once the season is under way.

I'm hoping we're okay at LB, but it's also a bit of an unknown until we see the unit perform. I'm hoping for the best.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I think w/Britton and BDLP the OL should be fine. But I thought about that also for a minute.
  6. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    To me the Safety position still has room to improvement. I feel our UFA pickups are bandaids at best. Hopefully Vereen lives up to all the high praise he's been getting so far since Rookie mini-camp.

Thin on depth is definitely TE but LB is a close second.

Speaking of the OL... sounds like Kromer is liking Michael Ola & Charles Leno Jr. who have been seeing some first team reps with Mills still slowly being brought back up to speed.

I definitely think all of this competition that Emery has created will help out a lot at some of the roster's iffy positions since there's not a lot of proven starters and playing time is up for grabs.​
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    Well if you improve your starting safeties than your backup depth automatically gets better.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I would agree w/that, but I don't think they've necessarily made a substantial upgrade in starting talent at S.
  9. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,430 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    732ß
    Way too early to tell (need to see if any of our draft picks from this year and last are going to be viable starters in the next couple of years).

Off the top of my head:

C (Garza replacement)
    G (depth)
    TE (second option other than Bennett)

DE (depth/future starter)
    MLB (depending on how Bostic plays)
    OLB (future starter)
    CB (depth/future starter)
    FS (depending on Vereen)
    SS (future starter)
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +559 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    263ß
    But it's an upgrade nonetheless.
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Webb was an upgrade over Carimi, doesn't make it a real upgrade :)

I have faith the S's will be better, just not sure it was enough.
  12. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Don't mean to sound rude but this question is best served after pre-season...Non of us really know how any of the off-season moves will pan out until they get into some kind of game action.

For all we know the D-line might still be a huge issue if the players they got in the off-season don't translate into success as a unit. Or the LB's might be a huge juggernaut out of pure surprise..

I feel we are all on the same page as to which positions we as fans will be watching closely...as far as next year, i'm in line with Jimmors and finding a solid Center for Garza though.
  13. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +78 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    TE, I been worried about it for a while. Everyone kept telling me we will be ok with Onobun. Well he is getting canned and I am still on the TE wagon.

Behind TE probably S and LB. More unproven at S and LB where at TE we do not have one to catch the ball after Bennett. Got some blockers but no weapons. I sure wish we took the chance on Lyerla. I have been keeping an eye on him and it all seems positive so far. The Packers still saying door is open for J Finley so "IF" Finley does get back maybe they will try and sneak Lyerla to the PS and we will get one more chance. I know everyone thought Onobun would improve and his past was to risky but every kid screws up. Hell as adults we screw up, just to a lesser extent.

I still say the risk of not having anyone on board if Bennet goes down outweighs the risk of this kid screwing up again. Personally I believe he knows he has 2 stikes against him already and he will be on par with other NFL players as far as off field activities go.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Lyerla, get over the coke head seriously if the guy had ANY quality he would have been drafted, or a day 1 pickup in UDFA, he was neither. There are other TE's out there that are better then him they could have picked up, and better that will be cut. Hell I like Zach Miller on our squad, might well impress everyone.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +726 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    685ß
    You know that is not true. He was a first round candidate before he got in trouble. Teams will not risk draft picks on it.

It does not mean as a UDFA you can not take a chance. I am sure you have a dark side as well, everyone does. Get over it and give the kid a chance. I did not argue back last time that much but people who want to change can change. Life is what you make of it and this kid has literally millions of potential reasons to change. Only a moron would not take the detour and clean his ass up. I been to college and graduated and know college is a time of experimentation and fun, I also graduated as a Mech. Engineer so I kept my goal of graduating in reach. Once I graduated and random drug tests were part of the job, which is customary especially when I started in Defense Systems, I had no desire to risk my job. I have family members that have battled through much worse than Lyerla has to overcome, Keeping busy and having a reason is critical to beat the rap is critical. To arbitrarily label a person a cokehead to me just shows ignorance. Until you walk in another mans shoes its very short sighted to judge them.

Nobody outside of Bennet on the current roster at TE is as good as Lyerla. They may be able to block but that is only half of it, they can not stretch the field and catch the ball with any kind of certainty.
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,341 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    We can probably do some dumpster diving for a Fendi replacement that can be an adequate backup TE for this year. Next year though we need to draft a TE. Going with only 1 receiving TE on the team (Bennett) is not a good situation. We haven't drafted a decent receiving TE since Olsen in '07. Seems like forever ago.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    356ß
    J99,

The whole team until proven otherwise.

And when can we get Olsen back if possible ? Didnt JCut and Olsen used to room together on the road ?
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,943 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I went to college, and saw plenty of people experiment, and plenty more that didn't. I also saw more then a few people lose their lives(literally) to drug abuse, and at least one was after he had "cleaned up". Most didn't have half riding on what Lyerla did, sorry not worth the trouble. TE isn't that vital, and they can get plenty of guys to do what Colt can do and have less then a fraction of the risk.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Nah, Colt Lyerla is a piece of **** human being. He may have mental problems, but he has overachieved on the "**** up" department.
    • Like Like x 1