What positive improvements do you expect to see in Friday's game?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Aug 18, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,668 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    What positive improvements do you expect to see in Friday's game? Please note that this isn't asking what you hope will happen. It's more about what positive improvements you expect to see. Some possible areas:

1. Will the offensive line run blocking improve?
    2. Will a solid #3 WR emerge as clearly better than the pack?
    3. Will we see improvement in the return game with Weems gone?
    4. Will special teams play be more solid in general?
    5. Will Cutler have a solid game against a pretty good Seattle defense?
    6. Will the linebacker corps take another step in improvement overall?
    7. Will Shea McClellan take another step in improvement?
    8. Will the defense show improvement overall this week?
    9. Will C.Washington or Bass show enough improvement to land a roster spot? Who do you think will emerge here?
    10. Will we see a particular backup RB really establish himself?

I'm sure there are other things you expect to see this game. This is probably the most important preseason game due to the starters getting more playing time than any other preseason game. What positive improvements are you expecting to see?
  2. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    One of the things you didn't list on your expected to see list is safety play which I think is the most important position battle on the defensive side of the ball. We know who our LB starters are, even if we aren't sold on Shea McClellin. We know our starting D-linemen and D-ends. We know our cornerbacks. That leaves the safety position.

I am expecting to see Adrian Wilson make a name for himself in this game. He's a veteran who's slowly been getting his body back in the game after a year hiatus. He's asked the coaching staff the past two games to get more reps and I'm assuming that's to bolster his game. He's showed steady improvement but hasn't flashed. As a veteran in the league, he knows this is the game to step up and play with, to steal some of Tucker's words, stout, saltiness. I expect big things out of this man - big hits, consistent play, disciplined coverage. Assuming he gets the play time, this is where he demonstrates to the coaching staff that Mundy, as average as he is, can't compete with the tenacious veteran with a chip on his shoulder.

I also expect to see Chris Conte begin knocking names off his check list OR continue his plummet. I think this is the fork in the road for him. He needs to get out there and show improvement this game in order to build his own confidence and to stop the bleeding. If he doesn't play well, the coaching staff's sympathy for him, the coaching staff's insider expectations won't be enough to quell the call of the ravenous Bear's fans who will call for his head his persistent viciousness.

I expect to see Stephen Paea show some consistency up front. He's someone we haven't talked about much and he gets buried by double teams. He's had a pretty good PS but has had somewhat inconsistent play. I think we need to remember this is a big year for Stephen Paea and he needs to start showing he can consistently ball with the big boys. Jerimiah Ratliff, Lamar Houston, Jared Allen, don't have shit to prove, Paea does and I think he starts to make a name for himself here. The run game, while largely determined by the edge play of Houston and Allen and the LB play making, also is determined by stout play on the interior and Paea plays a huge role in this. I'm routing for this dude, maybe more than anyone else on the D-Line and that might bias my expectations for him.

Getting to your actual list, I HOPE to see Jon Bostic and Shea McClellin continue their improvements this game. Seattle doesn't run a no huddle offense so Shea and Bostic should both be able to get set and understand their assignments before the snap. This game provides an opportunity for Smac to work on Russel Wilson. He'll be given the spy assignment on Wilson this game during at least a couple of snaps and I HOPE he is up to the challenge. This is a huge game for Bostic and Smac. I am hopeful that they will continue their improvements, but I am not necessarily expecting huge things from them.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,668 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Ratliff has amazed me. That guy is a beast. When healthy, this guy is just an incredible force. I love to watch him play.

I hadn't thought about Wilson and Conte in this game, but you make sense there. This could be a big game for both of them to show something that will help them. I expect Conte to have a good year. I really do. This then, would be the game for him to show something good.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    I agree. I am a big Conte fan. I am a little concerned with this game though. He's coming off an injury and hasn't had many reps at the position. If he comes out with the first team defense and struggles it is gonna psychologically fuck him up and it's going to rile his haters.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,291 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,458ß
    I want to see the Bears O move the ball
    Continued improvement of play from the LB's and S's.
    Better ST play.
  6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +706 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    ^^^This + better run blocking (OL and DL!)
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Lumping #'s 6 & 7 together and #'s 8 & 9 together I'd say all of them for sure. Lots of work to do in all areas.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    478ß
    I'd like to see the pass blocking be similar to what we saw in game 2, with some improvement in the run blocking. I'd like to see how we tackle...I thought we were better there in game 2 and I'd like to see how we do again. Safety play will be big for me.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,668 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,176ß
    Shea did look better last game. This game will be a BIG test for our LB's. This would be a great time for Shea to take another step and I may be crazy but I think he will. It will be interesting to see how much playing time he gets in this game.
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Run game and inside penetration both sides of the ball.
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Defense has already been mentioned. I would also like to see our O look more like it did last year. I'm not sure that Seattle is the team that will allow that to happen, but it's one of the things I am looking for.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +700 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    478ß
    Inside penetration.....giggity giggity giggity!
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Quite a bit really but the two things that stand out most to me are;

1) Gotta improve the return game. Our starting field position sucks.

2) We play a read option offense so this should be where guys like Bostic and McClellin, with the speed they have, get to shine. I want to see continued improvement.
  14. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I would love to see the running game get going but not sure I want Forte taking the hits. If they put Draughns and Carey in with the first team then lets work on the run game.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,877 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,179ß
    Good point. I had forgotten about the inability to open holes for the running game
  16. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +72 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    1. Will the offensive line run blocking improve?
    For Forte....I hope so..

2. Will a solid #3 WR emerge as clearly better than the pack?
    No..Holmes will show it in week 4

3. Will we see improvement in the return game with Weems gone?
    Yes

4. Will special teams play be more solid in general?
    No...Kickoffs better cus Weems is out, but no big change...DeCamillis is not Toub...

5. Will Cutler have a solid game against a pretty good Seattle defense?
    14-21 153 yds, 1TD, 1Int....

6. Will the linebacker corps take another step in improvement overall?
    Yes

7. Will Shea McClellan take another step in improvement?
    Yes

8. Will the defense show improvement overall this week?
    No

9. Will C.Washington or Bass show enough improvement to land a roster spot? Who do you think will emerge here?
    No...Bass

10. Will we see a particular backup RB really establish himself?
    yes Ka'Deem will make it known ...
  17. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    870ß
    I hope Carey does get it done. I like Draughn as a change a pace back, see Carey moving the pile more. Think they both deserve to make the team though.