What role will Bass play this year?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jul 17, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,298ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Senior writer Larry Mayer discusses what role defensive end David Bass could play this season, the training camp schedule and the possibility of Jordan Lynch playing safety.

Continue reading...
  2. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    I sure hope the bass has no place on the team this year except for maybe special-teams. He filled in nicely when he was asked to but remember he was a part of that bad bad defense.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What role will Bass play this year?

Posted 1 hour ago
    By Larry Mayer
    Senior writer Larry Mayer discusses what role defensive end David Bass could play this season, the training camp schedule and the possibility of Jordan Lynch playing safety.

Wondering about a player, a past game or another issue involving the Bears? Senior writer Larry Mayer answers a variety of email questions from fans on ChicagoBears.com.

What role do you see defensive end David Bass[​IMG] playing on defense this year? I saw flashes of a very good player his rookie year and feel like he's been left out of the talk of the defense with the additions of Jared Allen[​IMG], Lamarr Houston[​IMG] and Willie Young[​IMG].
    Danny P.
    South Bend, Indiana

It certainly will be more difficult for David Bass to get on the field this year following the free-agent signings of defensive ends Jared Allen, Lamarr Houston and Willie Young. But Bass did show promise and playmaking ability last season as a rookie after the Bears claimed him off waivers from the Raiders. The interception he returned for a touchdown against the Ravens was particularly impressive. Bass also figures to benefit greatly from spending an entire offseason and training camp with the Bears and will get plenty of opportunities to earn playing time as part of the defensive end rotation this summer during camp and the preseason.

I want to visit Bears training camp in Bourbonnais with my dad this summer. What dates is camp open to the public. Also, are there any dates where there are special events?
    Alex
    Northbrook, Illinois

The Bears will practice at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais from July 25-Aug. 12. All practices are free and open to the public. Theme days include Vamos Bears Dia (July 26), Ladies Day (July 30), Armed Forces Day (Aug. 4) and Youth Football Day (Aug. 6). The Bears also will conduct their annual Family Fest practice Aug. 2 at Soldier Field with tickets priced at $8 and $12. Click here for a complete training camp schedule.

What do you think about Jordan Lynch[​IMG] playing safety?
    Dave H.
    Clinton, Iowa

I don't see that happening. It's difficult enough to switch positions entering the NFL, but at least Jordan Lynch will be utilizing some of the same skills as a Bears running back that he used as a quarterback at Northern Illinois. It would seem that moving him to the other side of the ball would be too drastic of a change in terms of the techniques he’d have to learn, at least as a rookie.
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think Bass showed too much promise last year to be let go this year. Unless somehow CWash turned the corner and crested whatever hill he was struggling to climb last year I don't see anyway they keep him over Bass if it even comes down to that.

From what I can tell Bass is another Willie Young type of DE whose gonna need some time to develop but the tools are all there. He was a great pass rusher at a small school in college so he needs time to acclimate to the competition at this level much like Young did.

This is Young's 5th year and he was never much of a factor in Detroit until last year when he started 15 games. That pick for a TD Bass had against the Raven's showed that the kid has some pretty exceptional athleticism and speed that can be coached up.

With Allen, Houston and Young in front of him he's not gonna see a lot of snaps in the regular season so he needs to put on a show in the preseason to prove he belongs. I think now that we have more front line talent if they have him just concentrate on his pass rush skills for now they can use him as a 3rd down type in the rotation from time to time.

He could surprise and turn out to be a real find. Sure has hell the Raiders didn't want to lose him but those are the risks a team takes trying to sneak a guy through waivers and onto the PS. We many have gotten a real bargain in this kid if he proves he can play.

Lynch is not likely to ever be a Safety. I think the guy has NFL level offensive talent but he's got a lot of good competition ahead of him so making the 53 man roster this year is gonna be tough unless he absolutely tears up the field on STeams. I'll reserve my final judgment but I still wonder if in the long run he wouldn't be better off playing just a little heavier and trying to make it as a FB type back. He's not a lumbering type but he's a tough kid and he knows how to run and catch so he may do better in that niche than trying to compete with back like Carey and Ford as more of a HB type.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,319 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,495ß
    I actually think Bass is a lock, unless his play regresses to make the team, imo it's CWash and the other 2 DE's they brought in that are on the bubble this year. Bass played pretty well last year considering he was a rookie that wasn't w/this team to start the season.