What SHOULD our first round pick be?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Mar 27, 2014.

?

Which position?

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,542 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    541ß
    Now this is "all things considered, equal" type thing; meaning if we have a player at two positions of equal value, which one would be more needed?
  2. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    29ß
    If there was a Defensive BPA option in the poll, I'd probably go with that. Our biggest need right now though is Safety. I'm be happy with Pryor.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I voted DT because the FA signings are all pretty short term fixes (except for Houston). We need DT drafted high this year and DE in the mid rounds and D-Line high next year as well (not as high as this year but still a priority).
  4. Hondo

Hondo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I voted FS because Conte is a disaster...but DT is still a big need as well as is ILB and depth at corner...TE...you get the picture
  5. Hondo

Hondo Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    as well as ILB....
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    K/DB/LB/DT/DE in that order of importance
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    We actually have at least two Safeties who are capable of starting. Mundy has played behind two of the best Safety combos in the NFL for four years. When give the chance to start last year he did quite well. I'm also not as emotional about Conte as some. He had an 8-8 season too and a goodly part of the responsibility for the blown coverage in that Packer game goes to James Anderson who changed the defensive call just before the snap without calling a timeout to make certain everyone got it.

All season long the Bears defense suffered from a lack of on field leadership and this is a prime example of it. Conte wasn't beat in coverage. He simply did not get the call that changed his responsibility on that play. You'd think after having failed to stop GB on 3 consecutive 4th down plays the Bears might have taken a timeout to make certain they had everyone on the same page to prevent a 4th. I'm not absolving Conte of all blame but I'm adding Tucker and Anderson to that list.

Anderson is also the player who failed to pickup what turned out to provide the Packers with their first cheap score. Even though the team is trained to do just the opposite Anderson used the excuse that he believed it was an incompletion despite the fact that it had not been ruled one and the whistle had not blown the play dead. That was sheer laziness and lack of focus coming from the guy who was the on field leader of the defense. So who has a shot at redeeming themselves this year and who wasn't asked back?

The missing piece in that defense is a 3 tech DT to replace Henry Melton. IMHO you never pass on an elite pass rusher for a non-elite Safety. DTs who can penetrate against the run and pressure the QB as well as Aaron Donald can are the key cog in a 4-3 defense and Phil Emery knows that. He even confirmed it and his desire to keep Melton. He failed to do that and now he needs to replace him. If Aaron Donald is still on the board at #14 he'd be a fool to pass on him.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,286 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,454ß
    Mundy isn't a starter, he's a depth guy. DJManning is a should be cut guy.
  9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Should be DT, Emery is a opposite guy so I can see him going O. Crazy but I think Ebron if he's still there at 14.
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I think its more a form of best defensive player available in the eyes of Emery and Tucker at the positions we are in need of. DT>S>CB>MLB. We don't know how they are ranking the impact of those players but I have a hard time believing that Donald isn't on the top of that list. If hes gone, there are a slew of guys who all clump into the tier two, so it wouldn't shock me to see them go elsewhere if Donald is already taken.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    This is a bit off-topic, but what if a top-5 player would drop into our laps - but he's an offensive player - do we pass on that guy because we need defense? For example, there are two OT's graded out as top-5 for this year's draft. If one would drop to us at #14, do you pass on him due to the fact we need defense?
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well if we use Gabriel's latest Moch v2.0 as the basis for this discussion let's look at the top ten or twelve not just the top five. Who are the top offensive players?

3 OTs; Robinson, Matthews and Lewan
    2 WRs; Watkins, Evans
    1 QB; Bridgewater
    1 TE; Ebron

I don't really see a huge need on the Bears part at any of those positions. If we had not signed Bennett last year, and he had not been all we expected and more than maybe Ebron would be a perfect fit but I wouldn't spend that #14 pick on a #2 TE. We also don't need a top QB, we have two of the best WRs in the NFL already, we fixed the OL last year and they played well. Especially the two rookies and both have great upside.

If a top five or top ten offensive player fell that far, and we didn't like the remaining choices at #14, I think Emery would trade down until he got what he was looking for. That said I don't think there's a snowballs chance in hell that any top ten offensive pick would still be on the board at #14 but even if I stretch to include Ebron, Evans, and Lewan I just don't see the need over a top defender.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,667 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,173ß
    Crazy things happen in the draft each year. If one of those top 2 offensive tackles (Robinson and Matthews, both graded out as top-5 players in the entire draft this year) dropped into our laps at #14, I could see Emery grabbing him. Emery seems like he doesn't care what anyone thinks.......he kindof marches to a different drummer. Do you think the fan base would riot if he grabbed an OT instead of a Donald or Dix? Probably.
  14. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think a top 5 player falling into our laps at 14 is the basis of a really lucrative trade-down strategy.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +910 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    904ß
    We're thin at DT, gimmie Donald or Jernigan. We can still draft a safety in the second round.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +828 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    869ß
    Riot, no. I think the fan base would question it for sure. If the OT in your example graded out like Long did last yr, I think the fan base would understand the pick. I personally still think hiring Trestman, an offensive minded coach, was a turning point more to an emphasis on Offense than Defense. Everyone wants a top offense and defense but with the salary cap you can either be middle of the road at both O and D or pick your poison Offense vs Defense. I am excited to see how good of a Defense we can really have with a top offense and hope we do not sacrifice a top offense and end up with a middle of the road offense and defense in the attempt to improve the D. I know we all have our opinions but I wonder what value Trestman would put in a 2 TE set with 2 serious TE's much like the Pats had before Hernandez went to jail. Thus I would no be as surprised to see Ebren in rd 1 or a TE in rd 2. On paper the D is looking vastly improved, how much more do you do if you are trying to be an Offensive power and do you draft offense to allow a whole no offensive set and playbook. I like DT, ILB, CB, TE and OT in rd 1. I have not fallen in love with a player like many on Donald but still trying to look at impoving entire team, and maybe adding to the playbook with a TE would hold more value to Trestman than a DT.. Obviously I do not know the answer but since I do not know the game plan it would be hard to get into riot mode until it had a chance to play out. Granted I am reserving the right to riot down the road.:14_4_103[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yeah but I don't think he's thinking along those lines. The reason those OTs are top ten picks is because they're OT and that position has become a premium position in a passing league. If it was a 3 yard and a cloud of dust league then OGs might rank higher. I'm sitting here as this stuff all rolls through trying to make a distinction between where a player ranks vs his rating which in the case of NFP is how they see this kid performing in the NFL.

In some cases, like the top 3 CBs, they all carry the same rating (6.9) but as far as overall player rankings Dennard is #11, Gilbert is #14, and Fuller is #17. So throw 'em all in a barrel, pick one out, and based on that alone you'd have a good chance of getting a very good football player. But we also know they have slightly different skill sets that would appeal to certain teams more than others so draft order comes into play. Despite the ranking most have Gilbert being picked first because of size and his return skills but Dennard may be the guy a team wants because he's the top man on man cover guy.

Same with the DTs. They all have the same 6.8 rating and Nix has the highest overall ranking but if you aren't a team who uses a big NT then Nix may not be your guy. If you want a pure 3 tech Donald is your guy even though Hageman ranks higher. So sometimes these rankings when they talk about a top five or a top ten guy get out of whack when there isn't a team in the top five who needs the QB ranked #1 or #1 ranked WR in the whole draft and so on. So guys fall but seldom does a top five guy fall out of the top ten so I'd say the chances of any top five guy falling to #14 is pretty slim unless there's an injury or character issue that's been hidden and then discovered.

I think for the most part the top guys are "what ya' see is what ya' get guy". There's so much dope on them that no one lacks much info. The risks of failure are high enough already that you don't want to make a mistake based on lousy data and the Combine and Pro Days have pretty much done away with that. I don't think we'll see anymore Ted Gregory type picks. He was a DT out of Syracuse the Broncos took #1 back in the late 80s. He was listed in school as 6'1" and 260lbs. When he showed up at Bronco headquarters after the draft he was actually about 5'10" and barely 250lbs. In other words the Donkey's had spent a 1st round pick on a LB size DT and short one at that. LOL He never even made the team. Played one year with the Saints when they were still the "Ain'ts" and never played in the NFL again.

The bottom line is that taking a top five pick this year isn't getting you much if any more than the guy picked tenth or even fifteenth. The ratings on these guys are that close. So there's no sense drafting a position you don't need over one you do just because a top five OT with 7.0 rating fell to you when there's 6.8 or 6.9 Safety or CB or a DT who you need for more. That make sense?
    • Like Like x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Could be but only if they feel safe with who they can take with the later pick. If there's one or two guys there I really want I'm not gonna take a chance on losing that impact starter for another 3rd round pick who may be a backup or may not even make the team. That's a job killer.

Trade downs aren't as lucrative as they used to be. The new CBA limits rookie salaries so these kids are cheap compared to some 5 or 6 year journeyman vet backup you might to replace. That's why Emery said it's tough to get value in a trade down at that level. He's got a great pick there.
  19. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    90ß
    Got to be DT still at this point. We stocked the cupboard at DE but we still need a big boy in the middle to stuff the run and push the pocket. I'd stake S/DB in the 2nd and from there on out I'd look for high value picks. Wouldn't be a bad idea to grab a center and a RB somewhere in the draft too.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    On paper the defense looks vastly improved from where they were at the end of last year but not necessarily at the beginning of the year. There's a big difference there that some aren't looking at. Hell, the 8th graders from St. Helen of the Blessed Shroud Orphanage might be an improvement over what we ended up with the Penguin as their DC instead of Tucker.

I believe we've upgraded a little over where we stared the 2013 season but it's not like the impact the makeover of the OL and TE in terms of the difference from one year to the next. Remember that was a top five defense heading into the 2013. I believe we missed the leadership of Urlacher and the consistent play of Roach and Izzy more than was counted on but with the line intact and Williams at MLB it was still a very good defense. Maybe not top five but far better than #31.

I think we're at least back to where we started off last year if not slightly better against the run but maybe not quite as strong against the pass. This is where it's gets harder to call. We no longer seem to have a problem sealing the edges and with Ratliff and Williams back and Paea healthy again the middle is shored up but that 3 tech is still a weak spot. So how much does Tucker value that compared to how much Emery does and if they aren't in total agreement who wins that battle?

Offensively I'd still say that having Bennett precludes the need for Ebron in one especially with the defense still short at a couple of spots. I wouldn't rule out him taking another TE later on because Onobun is about all we have in the way of a 2nd "full service" TE and it's risky to think he'll magically "get it" all of a sudden. But neither Gronk (2nd) or Hernandez (4th were 1st round picks so the need to take one as high as the #14 pick when we have a guy whose as good as any 1st round guy we might have taken since Olsen left doesn't seem like a good strategy either. How many more ways are you gonna split up passes when you have two top WRs, a top TE and one of the best receiving backs in the NFL?

Scoring points is no longer a problem but keeping the other guys from scoring more than we do is a big problem and that's what needs to be fixed. Thankfully it's no longer the offense that's an issue. The majority of this draft should be devoted to the defense where we really haven't gotten much younger if any. We still have a lot of guys who are 30, near 30 or over 30 to think about replacing and that means drafting younger guys and getting them ready to play. Of the first four picks at least 3 should be defensive picks and overall we should have selected more defensive players than offensive players. There's a couple of guys from the PS who may step up this year as depth but beyond that there isn't anything.