What the Bears got and what they lost

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by omc1969, Mar 21, 2014.

1. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +920 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,087ß
    Nice read, Young looks like a good steal. Still need a good DE for the Rotation though and I am hoping its better than Izzy.
  3. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    We need to remember that there will be yet another round of FA after the draft and OTA's etc. I trust Emery to fill the bill with a couple more FA's to go along with players he gets in the draft.
    ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,726 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,088ß
    Hush yo mouth. Its still BleacherReport.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    I'm as critical of BR as anyone but you can't argue with the stats used in the article. I blast their writers a lot as well but this is spot on.
    ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,673 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,866ß
    great article, and as much as I have always dogged B/R, they put an actual nfl guy as the head guy for their nfl writers so I have seen some improvements in the writing.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Zach Kruse is one of the B/R "columnists" who has great analytical skills and usually research's his articles well. They aren't all boneheads over there, LOL. He wrote a very nice analysis of both Young and Houston here and I agree with him. We spent far less cap space on these two, and only slightly more cash, than Pep alone would have costs us during 2014 and 2015 with his contract structured the way it was.

When we were still shopping for another DLineman after signing Houston and I looked at the list Willie Young popped out at me as being a guy they should pursue and I'm glad they did. At the time I wasn't aware that he was as effective at playing the run as he obviously is. He's built pretty tall and thin but he also look very quick off the snap and muscular enough to use his strength to defeat blocks. Compared to McClellin he looks like Hercules.

We all know Emery loves to study those PFF stats and use them as basis to quantify his decision process which is what led him to Slauson over other more highly sought OGs. He showed up as being the best pass blocking OG available. Slauson proved to be a real bargain and earned himself a long term deal. Along with Ryan Mundy I believe Young has the potential to be this years bargain just as Zach Kruse indicates.

The other benefit is that neither Young or Houston are locked into only one spot. Both can play either LDE or RDE and it's nice to see that Young was as effective playing RDE as he was. If Bass continues to improve, in combination those two could easily provide as much pressure and as many sacks as Pep had been able to do. I'd prefer that we play Houston at LDE to cover McClellin better and also to be able to slide him inside to DT to rush at times. It should be interesting to see what weight he ends up playing at.

It would have been nice to see them bring back Wootton but after signing Young that need pretty much disappeared and Izzy was a less expensive option for depth. Along with Scott and Lane one of those three will make the roster and maybe two. I still think Bass can be a key player if he continues to improve and Washington should realize that if doesn't show enough aptitude to even get of the field again this year he's history. I'm sure we'll add another end rusher or two from the later rounds of the draft or an UDFA.

Anyway, with the two new guys and Izzy returning plus Bass and the other vet depth were one hell of a lot better off at DE than we were to start the 2013 season. Now if he can just complete the repair of the DT position at least the holes upfront should be plugged.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    certainly be different defense next year which I think a good thing. I hope it translate into a top 10 defense year certainly don't want to watch painful mess of last season has to be better refuse to believe otherwise. Hosuton and Young I find very interesting young duo that could be a joy to watch. I liek the fact we got younger and player comming into there prime instead of past it see far more upside.