What time was the most painful to be a Bears fan?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Oct 13, 2013.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    The worst was 1969. They alternated all year between a heart-breaking loss one week and a blowout loss the next. All these guys who complain about Cutler should see all the clowns we had those years.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    That probably explains why I couldn't find a documentary of that season for the "documentary thread". I guess what would have to be the worst about that season is that we lost a coin toss ("tails never fails") to the Steelers for the right to draft Terry Bradshaw...
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    WHEN WALLY DIED.
  4. DavidL

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    Yep, I'd vote Gibron the worst coach. An ugly slob, besides.

I was just thinking of Wally Chambers. He was a hell of a pass rusher. Unfortunately, like Butkus, Sayers, young Payton, he played during the Dark Ages of Bears history.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    LOL. That is perfect. The Dark Ages of the Bears. You know, that perfectly describes those years.
  6. DavidL

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    Yep, I just looked up Gibron's record: 11-31. We suffered for 3 years. When he was finally fired, he called Bobby Douglas a "coach killer." Maybe, but he had plenty of helpers.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    For me it was the late 80's, all hopes of them being a good team had died, and through the 90's, having to watch the 9'rs build a mini dynasty w/2 HoF quality QB's, then watch the Cowboys build another one and top it off w/the Packers being good and getting one, all the while the Bears are wadding through w/average(at best) qb play, average(at best)rb play, no quality wr's, a D that is no longer the "monsters of the midway", it just sucked. I started college mid 90's and actually spent many a Sunday afternoon in the library studying instead of watching the games. I read about what happened(if they won), watched the draft hoping they would step up, and would fail.

Never should have drafted Brian Urlacher in 2000, instead they should have traded back and got Chad Pennington, would have saved the Bears from all the bad qb's of 2000 on culminating in the Rex, Orton and the Greise fire they all caused.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    70's was by far the was worst time in Bear history other than having the Honey Bears there was nothing. During that time old man Halas would only spend for 1 player on each side of the ball nothing was ever built to sustain any serious win. Nothing in the last 30 years comes even close to it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Wolfman

Wolfman Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,761 / 9 / -4
    ßearz ßuckz:
    120ß
    January 23, 2011...
    • Like Like x 3
  10. DavidL

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    The mistake wasn't drafting Urlacher. It was drafting Grossman and McClown when they had first-round opportunity to draft a QB.
  11. 4th and 26

4th and 26 George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +485 / 3 / -5
    ßearz ßuckz:
    83ß
    10) Harbaugh audible vs the Vikings when we were up 20-0 which turned the game around and the Vikings pulled 21 pts out of their ass and we lost 21-20
    9) Charles scumbag Martin Power driving Jimmy Mac into the ground after throwing a pass taking him out for the year. May he rot in hell.
    8) Anything to do with Mike McCasky
    7) Trading for Rick Mirer(this pick even makes Angelo look good)
    6) Drafting David Terrell( he is worse that Stan Thomas)
    5) The losing streak to the packers during the 90's
    4) The stupid Halloween game vs the packers
    3) The stupid Halloween game vs the packers again
    2) The first try we had on eliminating the Packers from making the playoffs
    1) Jay Cutler throwing out his vagina vs the Packers during the NFL Championship game. This is by far the darkest day in Bears history next to Payton passing away.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I'm getting pretty depressed just reading these posts. They're ALL painful to relive. Some I had blissfully forgotten, until I read about them here. Man, major depressing...
  13. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Being lazy, dont wanna search.

Has anyone brought up February 4, 2007 yet?
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    it was a olive branch to henry.....it was a little bit of levity to the rather lugubrious thread.
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    No, but you just gave me a good reason to start drinking heavily again, lol
    • Like Like x 1
  16. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    meh, the Colts were the better team. I am MUCH more upset about the back to back losses to the Skins in 86 and 87.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    BULLSHIT. Yeah, Peyton Manning tore our defense up yard wise, but they got 3 takeaways, our special teams got us an early lead, and all that was needed was a quarterback. Remember Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne's stats that game? 120 total yards and one touchdown on a busted coverage. If we had a quarterback that could dink and dunk the Colts' defense, we would've won that game going away. Rex Grossman is a horrible player and Lovie Smith is a ****** moron for not turning to Griese after Rex Grossman said about having a 0.0 rating in the last game, against Green Bay: "And the situation was I felt like I was going to play about a half, and it was the last game, it was New Year's Eve -- there were so many other factors that brought my focus away from what is actually important, and that's something that I am never going to do again." Name me one other SB starting QB that would have said something similar, and I'll show you another qb who lost the superbowl. You think Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, or even ****** Kordell Stewart would say or do something that god d*** stupid? The answer is no.
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  18. JoeBear

JoeBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Most of you guys are too young to remember the 1969-1970 seasons, but it was the worst of times for the Bears and Bear Fans. The Bears drafted Bobby Douglass in the 2nd round 1969 and he went on to a sterling 13–31–1 record with the Bears. He was so bad at one point the coaches gave him game films to take home and study. He promptly drove to Rush Street to party and someone stole the films from his car. The Bears had to prepare for the up coming game using old films. Coach Jim Dooley even had the QB move in to his apartment to keep him on task.

In 1969 the club posted a 1-13 record, the worst in franchise history. They tied with the Pittsburgh Steelers, who they had beaten earlier in the season for their only win (ironic). Then then went on to lose a coin flip for the following #1 draft pick. The Steelers picked Terry Bradshaw and the Bears traded the 2nd pick for 3 has beens (Lee Roy Caffey, Elijah Pitts, Bob Hyland).

Things went from bad to worse when running back Brian Piccolo was diagnosed with cancer in November 1969. He would succumb to the disease in June of the following year.

In 1970 the Bears would lose the last 6 out of 7 of their games. I remember a picture of coach Jim Dooley with his head in his hands, in tears. He was fired shortly afterward. He was followed by the Abe Gibron years which while terrible, they were at least fun as Gibron was creative and tried numerous trick plays. In fact he was one of the first to revive the shotgun in an effort to get Douglass, who could not read defenses, a chance to see the defense better.

Those were tough times for Bear fans.
    • Like Like x 2
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Pipe down, Henry. :p 86 and 87 were both tougher losses. You're just too young to remember them, but they BOTH BROKE MY HEART!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Meh. They weren't the Super Bowl, or anything.