What was the PRIMARY reason for the 80's Bears inability to win more than one Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 31, 2013.

?

Why did the 80's Bears fail to win more than one Super Bowl?

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Just curious as to what the responses on this board will be like. I grew up with the mid 80's Bears, so this topic is kinda near and dear to my heart. In my opinion, the two main reasons were: 1-our lack of talent at the QB position (McMahon was always an overrated passer...even in his BEST year, his stats were only slightly above average, and after '85 he couldn't even stay healthy...and oh yeah, our backups always SUCKED) AND 2- Ditka's inability to match wits with the likes of Gibbs, Parcells and Walsh, ESPECIALLY after Buddy left. I still can't get over the fact that Joe Gibbs brought his Skins to Soldier Field and led them to victory over the Bears in back to back years with two different starting QB's, neither of whom was a HOF'er. IMO, THOSE losses highlighted Ditka's proclivity for getting outcoached when he didn't have the CLEARLY SUPERIOR TEAM (as he did throughout 1985). Ditka was never in the class of a Gibbs, Parcells OR Walsh, and unfortunately the Skins, Giants and 49ers were our primary rivals for NFC supremacy in the mid to late 80's. THAT is why we never even made it back to the Super Bowl.

So, what do you guys think?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +67 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Also, the mid 80s bears had to compete with some of the "dynasty" style teams that simply bought the best players from the other teams, although my memory might be a little fuzzy on this.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,080 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    In '86 it was McMahon going down to injury (the Charles Martin hit). Season over. It was sad because I felt the '86 team was actually better than the '85 team (we were 14-2 in the regular season, and then one-and-done in the playoffs). If any young fans don't know about the Charles Martin hit on McMahon, you ought to Google it. If that happened today the guy would have had a lifetime ban from the NFL. It was beyond just a late hit. It was borderline criminal.

We were never the same after that year, IMHO. Ditka wasn't a great coach. We loved him anyway, but he was outcoached. We had incredible talent, but Ditka just wasn't much of a coach after '85. In '87 we had the strike, and Ditka ticked off his own players (the real ones, not the scabs) and the team ultimately gave up on Ditka after that. Ditka was just going through the motions. If you ever get the chance to watch "A Football Life - Mike Ditka" it is worth watching to understand how the wheels fell off after '85. I still like Mike Ditka a lot, but just being "real" here.

We never did get the QB thing figured out after McMahon's injury. That didn't help either.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    The Dirties hit I have ever seen

• Like Like x 2
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    My choice is other and it's a two word answer: Michael McCaskey
    • Like Like x 8
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,080 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    That's a great point Soul.

Another contributing factor was losing Hall of Fame GM Jim Finks. He was the architect of the roster that won in '85. He was technically "gone" in '82 but had a lot to do with the '83 draft. Losing Finks may not have been a primary cause of our decline, but it sure didn't help. He quit because he wasn't consulted in the hiring of Ditka. That was too bad. Ditka wasn't the reason we won the SB in '85. By '87 Ditka's own players had pretty much quit on him after the strike. Ditka was a great personality, and I think he's a good guy who loves the Bears. But not much of a coach IMHO. He had the talent to win multiple SB's.

But yeah, Michael McCaskey comes in. We lose Finks. We have QB woes. Buddy takes a hike. It was all pretty bad for us...
  7. Loki

Loki Assault Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +3,749 / 17 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    829ß
    That wasn't a "hit". That was assault.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. yttocs

yttocs Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +57 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    this right here.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    meh, it is too easy to blame McCaskey. Yeah, he was a tool, BUT it wasn't his fault that "Da Coach" got pantsed by Gibbs in '86, and again in '87, by Walsh in '88 and by Parcells in '90. Did I mention that the FIRST three of those playoff games were at home?! : (
  10. Adibear

Adibear Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think it was a lot of things...McCaskey sticking his nose in,McMahon injures, key players and staff leaving and if I recall,Washington knocked us out two years in a row
  11. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    it's a tough choice for me between A & B because I think they are both primary reasons.
    Ditka vs Gibbs wasn't a favorable match-up for the Bears in '86, I'm not sure they win that game even with Jim under center.
    I think that had Jim played and had the Bears somehow won & gone to NY, that would've gone down as the greatest game of the '80s & the greatest defensive match-up in history.
    I waited the whole year for that game and 27 years later I still feel cheated that it never happened. I've never taken any loss harder than '86, which was my first season watching the team as a youngster.
    Imo, the Bears were in the Giants heads after what happened in '85 and most likely would've beaten them in NY.
    Not 21-0 but possibly 9-3. The '86 Giants offense was not structured in a way where they could go out and score 2 tds against the Bears d. The Giants strengths would've played into the Bears hands.
  12. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    luck. Things have to go your way no matter how good you are
  13. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    One of the Packers grabbed McMahon and threw him to the ground after the whistle on a play and broke his arm.
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Here we have the winner!
    • Like Like x 1
  15. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    People always look for a scape goat when blaming the owner/coach ect.

Because that is the easy answer.

Bottom line. Players are the ones who play the game. They can make owners/coaches look great or stupid. They can get coaches extensions or get them fired. At the end of the day, it all falls on the players who failed.
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    But the players can't play if Mikey dismantles the team by letting key people go elsewhere.
    ;)
  17. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    But the point holds true. Players make the difference. Sure, would have been easier to keep the stars, but at the end of the day it always lands on the players.

Owners and coaches do not suit up
  18. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    with all due respect TheBenjamin, that is an overly simplistic view. Coaches MATTER, especially in football. Having a coach who is a tremendous game day coach can make all the difference when you have evenly matched teams going head to head in a playoff game. The fact of the matter is that the Bears were always at a coaching disadvantage when they went up against the Giants, Skins or 49ers in the 80's.

To put in another way, if Parcells, Gibbs or Walsh would have been our coach in the 80,s with the talent that we had, I am convinced that they would have found a way to at least guide us back to the Super Bowl. On the other hand, you put Ditka out in San Francisco with those loaded 49ers teams? No way he accomplishes as much as Walsh accomplished, even with all of that talent. Ditka and the QB position (McMahon's injuries AND the fact that all of our backups sucked) are the two reasons why we couldn't even make it back to the BIG Game after 1985.
  19. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    My point is that Mikey determined WHO suited up and thought he knew better than the rest of management. I get your point however.
    :)
  20. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +2,170 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    No doubt. But you can always point to numerous situations, plays ect. where players themselves have cost the team the game due to poor play. One PRIME example is that blithering idiot of a running back to decided to run out of bounds with the ball, that allowed Tebow and the Broncos the chance to get the ball back, come back and beat us. That play cost the Bears the game, and the playoffs. Then, who knows what would happen, because wasn't Cutler supposed to come back for game 1?

No matter the scheme issued, or the play called it all comes down to execution and having football smarts.

Tice was an blithering idiot. BUT if the plays ever worked out the way he imagined, he would look like a genius.

Yes, coaches and owners do matter. But you can take the best coaches and owners in the world, if the players do not perform and execute the plays called, it will always fail.

You just simply cannot pin it all on one specific spot or person
    • Like Like x 1