What was the PRIMARY reason for the 80's Bears inability to win more than one Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 31, 2013.

?

Why did the 80's Bears fail to win more than one Super Bowl?

1. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Cancer is a serious disease that kills people. Using it lightheartedly to describe how a player or coach may hurt a team tends to be a little disrespectful to people who are suffering and dying from cancer every day.

Last week, a dear friend of mine lost her mother to cancer. I just don't like seeing something so deadly and detrimental used to describe something as meaningless as sports. Just my opinion. I am sure there are those who will disagree. Just a simple request.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Condolences, Benjamin
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    WELLL at least ya didn't jump my bones there Benj

Like you say ,.. it is a figure of speech, but I do understand your position, and sorry to hear about your dealings.

I too have a friend going through Chemo and Radiation treatments ,.. and hope he hangs on

but like you say I guess it can be rephrased and will try my best in future references

Not too many things bring me to saying such as I said here about ole Mikey Mc ,... but I can't stand the guy PERIOD
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Thank man. She has been battling cancer for a number of years, and finally fell victim early last monday. My friend is taking it hard, as would be expected, and it has been taking its toll on me as well.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Sorry to hear about your friend man. And yeah, it is a figure of speech.. one I am not too fond of, though I used to use it myself til I met my friend and learned of the situation her mom was in. I never thought twice about that phrase before then.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +809 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    699ß
    Sorry to hear that, Benj. My grandfather was diagnosed with cancer a couple of years ago, died last Christmas. I know exactly what your friend is going through right now. Hope she's gonna be okay.

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    She is holding up best she can.

Worst part is she is getting married end of the month, and her mom being there was a huge goal
  8. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +809 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    699ß
    Damn, that's sad...
  9. WearyBear

WearyBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think players and coaches egos had a little to do with it.
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    woot.jpg
  11. Chad Schwartz

Chad Schwartz Newbie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I have to say the primary reason bears did not win at least 2 Super Bowls in 1980s was very obvious. A different attack with jimmy Mac! The bears record w Jimbo at qb was impressive to say the least.. 25 straight wins at one point. They were unbeatable with a healthy McMahon plain and simple. The other reason they didn't win was because of money. Wilber wanted paid, Otis , Willie, etc... Fencik&payton retired. Buddy left after Super Bowl. I'm still sick about 86&87! I still wanna get with Otis Wilson and blow charles martins punkass away with a .38
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    A massive cancer cell infected the team. It was called Michael McCaskey. :asshat3:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    IMHO To say that it all falls on the players is just ludicrous. It is and always will be a combined effort by Management, Coaches, and players. Management builds the team, Coaches coach the best out of them, and players execute the plays/plan on the field.

Each one relies/depends on the other. If one level of the pyramid fails, then it all fails. They're all inter-connected. They all hold part of the blame.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  14. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Yes and no.

Lack of preparation, motivation (as as a pro athlete if you need to be motivated you are in the wrong business) goes into it.

Again, players play. They are the ones who go out there as execute. Failing to execute is on them. You can have the best coach calling the best plays. If the players do not execute it is on them.

Giving them passes is rediculous. They are primarily responsible since they are the ones who ultimately decide what happens.

Just ask Michael Jordan. "Organizations don't win championship, players do."

So, in the same light players lose championships, not organizations
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,354 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    That's exactly how I see it too. It's like a tripod. The tripod right now seems as good overall as I can remember with the Bears:
    1. Management/Front Office: Great management team here now with George McCaskey, Emery, Cliff Stein & the upgraded scouting department.
    2. Coaches: Trestman seems to have the gears to put together a solid coaching staff. It may still be a work in progress but at least we have a solid HC putting it all together.
    3. Players: The team is undergoing a major upgrade in player-talent that has gone on since Emery arrived and inherited a mess. The offense is already much improved. The defense is in the process of getting a major upgrade.

The 80's Bears had great talent except at the #2 QB position. When McMahon went down to injury the season was pretty much over at that point. Ditka wasn't a very good coach. Love the guy, but he was average at best as a HC. It's well documented that he made a lot of mistakes.
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    Blasphamy!

Lol
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +930 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    488ß
    Charles Martin died in 2005 at age 45, due to complications from kidney failure.

It sounds insensitive, but good-BYE!! I watched the youtube of the play and I am fired up about it. Then to see his teammates high-fiving him on the sideline after he was ejected..
  18. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    When a team fails the blame should NEVER solely be on one level of the Management-Coaching-Player pyramid.

Again they're all interconnected. If one level fails then they've all failed in some form or another.

If they succeed then they've all played a part in that success.

To blame only one when they fail and to give only one credit when they succeed is above and beyond ludicrous and shortsighted.
  19. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,860 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    841ß
    They are all responsible, but the majority blame lies with those who have the most direct impact on the outcome
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,537 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    723ß
    I voted other. My belief then, as it is now is that the pwnership thought they were so dominant that they would win it again no matter what. Unfortunately, what made them dominant was the dominant players, and McCaskey couldn't seem to connect the dots there. I thinkwhat sunk them was a lack of a concerted effort to keep the core together. They were pretty cheap in those days and McCaskey let a lot of the players go elsewhere. He just didn't get the importance of having kept the team together. That was a team for the ages and to put a collection of talent like that was huge. To let it dissipate the way he did was a crime.

In short, ownership was the cause. Financial prioritization and lack of football smarts. Pretty much describes Mikey to a tee.
    • Like Like x 1