what we learned, chi v pitt

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 22, 2013.

1. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    What I learned. The LB blitzes were working damn near all night and caused two turnover TDs. The safety blitzes gave up two long TDs. All the while, our four down lineman did little to nothing to disrupt the pocket. Basically, keep bringing the LB, but keep the DBs in coverage.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I learned that half this board is a bunch of panic button, non-believers.

Apparently all the offenses we face should resemble that of Jacksonville while all the defenses we face should perform that of New Orleans for anyone to be happy.

We are 3-0 vs 2 playoff teams from last year while compiling 95 points. Yes, the defense needs work but there are no teams yet without need of improvement through 3 weeks
    • Like Like x 2
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Shea is the anti Long, both were reaches, but one is a bust and the other is turning into a royal flush.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    I saw Wootten in the 4th in the backfield pressuring Big Ben multiple times.
  5. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,729 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,101ß
    OL as a whole played pretty well, only giving up 2 sacks against a pretty good pass rush (not as great as years before, but still good enough). That gives them 3 in 3 games, which is astounding.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,729 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,101ß
    I think the only reason people are so focused on Shea is because it was Emery's first pick as GM, so if he doesnt pan out, then people think it represents Emery as a whole. Neve mind the fact that AJ is looking like a great pick up in year 1, and Emery improved his hand immensely in this draft, with 3, maybe 4 future starters selected.
  7. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Just on my eye test, first glance... Forte was on fire early, but he did not impress me in the second half. It looked like his ankle did get jacked up. The calls were also down the gut later in the game.

I didn't think Bush did that bad, his runs were a total different type. If he averaged 4 yds with what he ran he would be a man beast.

And how about a shout out for the other Bennett? #80 That was a hell of a TD.

Rest up peanut, and good job linebackers! Briggs was fun to watch and Williams had a chance for Bostic to learn from.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    Well I agree it has to do w/Emery's first pick, but I think it has more to do w/DeCastro then it does Shea and the fact that the OL was the need, not a 3-4 OLB supposedly being a 3 down 4-3 DE. If Emery hadn't gone out and talked about how Shea was his "secret" and was a 3 down DE it wouldn't be a huge issue. But the only NFL teams that wanted him were 3-4 guys, and they wanted him for a OLB; it scared the hell out of me b/c it screamed JA's I'm smarter then the rest of the NFL.

A-11, Bush was 1 of 3 attempts at the goal line, and was 1 of 1 on 3rd and short, and missed a easy pass for a 3rd conversion, so really 1 of 3 on 3rd and short. Ya for the goalline, short distance back he had a horrid night.
  9. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I know Green Bay wanted him at 3-4 OLB.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    I think it was NE and Hou, maybe both were also looking at him; but easily D'tone Jones was the best of the group of the DE's, and again look at DeCastro, started last year late and is starting now. The team could have had bookend G's this year and for years to come, instead they have a "high motor" situational DE that doesn't get anything but imaginary stats.
  11. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I can't wait to see how Long does against Suh next week.
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I think you're referring to Chandler Jones, and yes, he is easily the best but he is also playing 3-4 rush LB.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,691 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    thanks Sox, ya it was Chandler Jones, but he plays both DE in a 4-3 and 3-4 OLB, NE does the hybrid thing....at least last year they were.
  14. hoth

hoth Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    take away the 55 yard run & besides that, Forte & Bush had 23 carries for 41 yards.
    I learned that there is nothing wrong with the Steelers run defense.

Is every good receiver going to go for 160+ & 2tds against the Bears this year?
    outgained by 200 yards, yet never trailed in the game.
    this was a Lovie-era type win. minus the false starts & holding penalties.

Stafford will throw for 400 next week.
    Can the Bears get the 2 defensive tds & 5 takeaways to compensate for it next week too?

3-0 is 3-0.
    Love it.
    • Like Like x 2
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,497 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    Ric, this is the salient point for me. I'm glad we won, a win on the road is huge, and Jay was smart enough to throw the ball away instead of getting picked but....

Trestman didn't impress me with his play calling during the middle of the game. LeBeau owned him. Pitt was stacking the box and over and over Tman ran straight into the teeth of the D for no gain. Ever considered a pitch to Forte in space out side the tackles? They were blitzing like crazy up the middle (the OL held up remarkably well) and collapsing the pocket...ever consider rolling Jay out?

The play calling was unimaginative and way too conservative. You can't go to sleep in the 2nd Q cuz your up 17 and think the other team is just going to roll over and quit.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. A-11

A-11 Veteran

Ratings:
    +74 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    True on Bush, but it looked to me like he was running into a wall. All backs need a push there. I'll look again later but that wasn't concerning me. That 3rd down conversion pass miss did bother me. However, it too might have been farther out of reach then I thought. The end zone cam view showed it a bit to the outside...

And far as Shea and his play style, tonight was just bad. I saw openings that should have had results, exactly like they design and want for rushing OLBs. Just came up short today, on to next week...

Was a good win, and I enjoyed it. Excited.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,497 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    533ß
    This ^^^^^. And the front 4 still aren't getting enough pressure on their own. Which requires extra blitzing. Which gets our secondary burned. Rinse & repeat. Frankly Collins got to Ben way better than Melton did.
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +751 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,226ß
    The 3 sacks on BigBen were by blitzing LB (Williams 2, Briggs 1). The front-4 had zero sacks and only 2 hits. That's one reason why he had about 400 yards passing, The other reason is that we give up long passes down the sidelines, AJ Green did it for 162 yqrds, and Brown did the same for 200 yards. These guys beat Tillman and Jennings, because they try to jump routes on the underneath passing routes. That's great when it works, but when the QB has time to sucker them with pump fakes, the receiver gets past them down the sidelines, and our safeties almost never get over there to break up the pass. In base Cover 2, it is their job to cover over the top, The essence of Bear Defense is to prevent big plays and force the offense to execute long drives (usually stopped by some penalty, sack, turnover, etc)-- bend but don't break. The Bears need to get back to playing that way, but that requires better pressure from front-4 and MUCH better deep cover from safeties. I want to see them try Cornelius Washington at DE. It wouldn't take much from him to give us more production than Wootton/McCllelin so far IMO.
  19. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I thought that our offense would be much more creative with Trestman. It seems, though, that Tman is playing not to lose rather than playing to win. Once we got comfortably in front, the play calling got wayyy too conservative. Reminded me of Shoop and Lovie. Maybe Trestman (I am a fan, by the way) is just too afraid of losing at this point in his early NFL career, so his calls are conservative. I'm getting tired of seeing Forte and Bush running into the line with no gain.

I think the Oline is playing much better than last year, but that's partially because Cutty is getting rid of the ball so damn quickly. And when Cutty gets rid of the ball so quickly, the receivers don't have much time to get any yardage. Too many ultra-short passes. But then again, if Jay holds on to the ball longer, that increases the likelihood of a sack.

Our pass defense leaves a lot to be desired.

All in all, yes, I'm very happy with the win. But too much of the offensive playcalling reminded me of Shoop or Turner. I hope Tman will use this as a great learning experience.

And I hope we only get better as the season progresses. If we start really clicking at the right time, watch out!
    • Like Like x 2
  20. PhilM

PhilM Rookie

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Oh yeah... and after that 4th quarter run for a first down, there should be no doubt. Cutler is a STUD.
    • Like Like x 1