what we learned, chi v pitt

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 22, 2013.

1. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Cutler is worth the money it will need to extend him.
    Our DL isn't getting much done. It was better but I don't feel that Melton with being out will change much. He's the guy I have no problem with if we just let him walk. Peppers looked a bit better but not like he used to.
    Williams had a good game as did all the LBs. Secondary had some struggles.

All together, we had a good game and deserved the W. On the way to a 4-0 and division title.

Good that the Bengals lost to us and beat the Packers. Vikings prove to be nothing special.
  2. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Still growing pains which I don't see a cause for over-the-top alarm...yet.

LeBeau was going to give us fits today, we knew it, & if Trestman didn't respond as well as we'd have liked, I'm sure there was a good dose of caution with it being our 1st road game. It looked at times that we didn't want to beat ourselves & being this early in the year, I can't say I'm not in some agreement. Make them beat us while we still show a knack for composure/critical execution at the right times. Defensively, pass rush did put decent pressure at times, just not enough. Still playing way too soft in the secondary like we're still unsure of what we're doing. So we've seen basically what we've expected. Only can hope we still improve game to game.

It's what game film is for...learning from mistakes. Game at a time...

Time to just bask in the sunshine of the win. Besides, gotta learn to crawl before you learn to walk...

• Like Like x 2
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    It's week 3 and I still can't believe how good our offensive line is. Only 3 sacks in 3 games.... WOW

Remember the Giants game with 9 sacks in the first half?!

Detroit, you're next!
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß

Tresty said this was going to be a huge problem game for them though, first night game, first road game, and against the 3-4 D. He is also still more worried about keeping Cutler clean and safe by protecting the OL w/those short pass plays. I would think running up the middle against a 3-4 would be the norm over running outside where SHOULD have extra coverage, but I really don't know. But I'm really not disagreeing with you; I think the coaches were scared of facing a 3-4, and now that they have tape will be more comfortable next time.
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    Bears stay unbeaten with victory over error-prone Steelers
    Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Julius Peppers picked up the ball, turned toward the wide swath of open field in front of him and took off.

Sure, the Chicago Bears' defensive end admits he doesn't have the "blazing speed" of his youth. The way the Pittsburgh Steelers are backpedaling these days, it was hardly required.

Peppers scooped up a Ben Roethlisberger fumble and ran 42 yards with just under 4 minutes remaining to clinch a 40-23 victory Sunday night that kept the Bears (3-0) perfect.

"I happened to be at the right place at the right time and the ball bounced to me," Peppers said. "I got a hand on it and took it in, so there wasn't much else to talk about. That was the longest run I had with the ball, yes, I will tell you that."

The Bears forced five turnovers in all, converting four of them into points to stave off a second-half rally by the Steelers (0-3). Pittsburgh trimmed a 21-point deficit to four in the fourth quarter but couldn't stop from stumbling to the franchise's worst start since 2000.

Roethlisberger completed 26 of 41 passes for 406 yards and threw two touchdowns to Antonio Brown, but also fumbled twice and threw two interceptions.

"We can't, I can't, turn the ball over, plain and simple," Roethlisberger said.

Major Wright returned an interception 38 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter and Peppers' stroll to the end zone kept Chicago unbeaten. The Bears needed a pair of fourth-quarter rallies to win their first two games, but never trailed against Pittsburgh thanks to a defense that specializes in havoc.

"We came in here and got the job done," Peppers said. "They got close down the stretch, but we have veterans on our team that stayed cool. We don't panic no matter what."

Jay Cutler passed for 159 yards and threw a 17-yard touchdown strike to Earl Bennett with just under 6 minutes remaining to give the Bears breathing room after the Steelers pulled within 27-23 on Shaun Suisham's 44-yard field goal with 10:43 to play.

Chicago's offense, which generated little after a 17-point outburst in the first quarter, responded behind Cutler.

The quarterback scrambled for 13 yards on third-and-10 to start the drive. Cutler then hitBrandon Marshall for 41 yards on third-and-12 to move into Pittsburgh territory. Facing third-and-5 at the Pittsburgh 17, Cutler found Bennett in the back corner of the end zone.

Officials ruled the pass was incomplete, but the play was overturned after replays showed Bennett deftly dragged his right foot before sliding out of bounds.

"The (defensive) back was there, but the throw was perfect and I was able to make the play," Bennett said. "The way we played in the fourth quarter, that really shows how resilient we are."

Pittsburgh tried to get back into the game, but Lance Briggs stripped Roethlisberger, and Peppers pounced. The veteran defensive end followed a parade of blockers down the sideline for Chicago's second defensive score of the night and third in two weeks.

"We try to scoop up every loose ball and run it back for a touchdown in practice," linebackerD.J. Williams said. "Even if it's not a fumble, we pick it up and go with it. We knew they had some problems with their offensive line, so we wanted to pressure them as much as possible. We were able to get past their tackles and pressure Ben quite a bit.

Roethlisberger's second interception on a late stat-padding drive was Pittsburgh's ninth turnover through three games. The Steelers defense, meanwhile, hasn't recorded a takeaway through 12 quarters.

It's a recipe that rarely leads to victory.

"As of right now we have way too many turnovers and it goes both ways," Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We've got to find ways to get the ball. That's what great defenses do."

And none do it better than the Bears. While not the snarling force it was when recently retired linebacker Brian Urlacher was running things, the Bears make up for their lack of bark with a pretty feisty bite.

When opponents get loose with the ball, the Bears swarm.

The mistakes started early. Pittsburgh turned it over twice in the first half. Williams stripped Roethlisberger in the first quarter, leading to a 5-yard touchdown run by Matt Forte.

Chicago was up 17-3 midway through the second quarter when Roethlisberger threw off his back foot in the face of a blitz. The bail sailed into the hands of Wright, who sprinted down the sideline for a touchdown to give the Bears a commanding 21-point lead.

The score marked the second straight week and the 10th time since the start of the 2012 season that the Bears returned an interception for a touchdown, easily the most in the NFL.

"That's what we do, we take the ball away," Peppers said. "We stress it in practice every day, and it carries over to the game ... we have to continue to do that on a weekly basis to continue to win, and I believe we'll be able to do that."

Game notes

Steelers TE Heath Miller caught 3 passes for 35 yards in his first game back from torn ligaments in his right knee. ... The Bears lost DT Henry Melton to a knee injury early in the fourth quarter. ... Pittsburgh outgained the Bears 459-258. ... Steelers WR Antonio Brown finished with nine receptions for a career-high 196 yards and two touchdowns.

Copyright by STATS LLC and The Associated Press
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,583 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,782ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0923-biggs-bears-20130923,0,3842436.story
    Williams gives Bears' pass rush a boost
    Middle linebacker's sack/strip sets up 1st TD in victory over Steelers

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
    12:36 a.m. CDT, September 23, 2013

PITTSBURGH — Familiar elements of the Bears defense were in place through the first two games, foremost the takeaways, but alarmingly the pass rush was nowhere to be found.

Defensive coordinator Mel Tucker discovered it Sunday night at Heinz Field with a position in the Cover-2 scheme that has provided plenty of pressure on occasion. Middle linebacker D.J. Williams, looking much better than he did through the first two games, helped bring the heat against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. It was no surprise Tucker was standing at the entrance to the team's locker room afterward handing out hearty congratulations to all players.

Now we have a better glimpse into why coaches have been steadfast about going with the veteran over second-round draft pick Jon Bostic. After missing all of the preseason with a right calf injury, Williams was immediately made the starter upon his return, inserted for the opener after Bostic made some big plays in his place. Know this much: The decision for Williams to start was not a surprise to veterans on the defense.

Williams' sack/strip of Roethlisberger on the Steelers' first possession set up a short field on the Steelers' 17 and Matt Forte's 5-yard touchdown run. Those plays staked the Bears to a 10-0 lead in the 40-23 victory that propelled the Bears to 3-0, a game up on the Lions and two up on the Packers in the NFC North. Williams had a second sack at the end of the quarter.

Lance Briggs' sack/strip set up Julius Peppers' 42-yard fumble return for a touchdown with 3:57 remaining to put the finishing touch on a wild night full of challenges. It was the Bears' fifth takeaway and second defensive touchdown after Major Wright's 38-yard interception return for a score.

History shows teams that start 3-0 are a good bet to reach the postseason. Since the NFL expanded to its current 12-team playoff format in 1990, 75.4 percent of teams to begin 3-0 reach the playoffs. The Bears have had four 3-0 starts since 1990 and made the playoffs each time, most recently in 2010 when they reached the NFC championship game.

But this defense just escaped after a furious rally from the Steelers, who started handling the blitz as Roethlisberger picked apart the secondary. Steelers receiver Antonio Brown finished with nine receptions for 196 yards and scored on touchdown passes of 33 and 21 yards.

Bigger challenges could lie ahead for a defense that expects to be without Pro Bowl defensive tackle Henry Melton. The team fears he suffered a torn left ACL in the victory. Without Melton, the Bears could be forced to continueblitzing to generate pressure on the quarterback.

Williams, 31, can help in that regard. He was signed to a one-year contract March 22, two days after the club announced it was moving on from Brian Urlacher. Urlacher was a big part of the pass rush during his career. He ranks seventh team history with 411/2 career sacks although he didn't have any in his final two seasons.

When Urlacher would show pressure in the A gap, he never went unaccounted for by the offense. On the sack/strip, Williams ran through an open hole between right guard David DeCastro and right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who turned out to block blitzing linebacker James Anderson with running back Felix Jones. The last time Urlacher made two sacks in one game was Dec. 17, 2007, at Minnesota.

"I am getting more comfortable with the defense," Williams said. "Still trying to grind and get healthy. With more playing time comes more comfort."

Williams isn't going to be a prolific pass rusher and he comes off the field in the nickel package, when Tucker often looks to pressure, but he was solid doing it with the Broncos, making 51/2 sacks in 2010. The Bears typically have shied away from being a big pressure team because the base defense calls for a four-man pass rush with seven in coverage. Roethlisberger, who passed for 406 yards, did a good job of exposing the defense as the game went on.

The Bears have met challenges, but if Melton is indeed out for the remainder of the season, it will create one that will put pressure on the entire roster.

"You can't replace a Henry Melton," Briggs said. "He is an elite D-lineman. He will be missed. The next man has to step up and do his job. Phil Emery and our coaching staff will find the right guys."

bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs

Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

Might I point out that, I believe, we were able to get both Anderson and DJ Williams for the cost of 1 Urlacher, consider that money well spent. Anderson has been a beast in all 3 games, and DJ is finally getting over his TC injury, and I see him being a force on D the rest of the (if unhurt) season.

Melton getting hurt sucks, ya he hasn't done anything yet, but he hasn't been one to get his stats a few a game, but rather in big chunks.
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,021 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    It is astounding (good word to describe it). Everything I believed about the OL, prior to this season, was wrong.

1. I didn't believe you could put 4 new OL in as starters and have anything but a mess.
    2. I really didn't believe two green rookies could play as solid as our two have, right out of the chute, in the 1st games of the season, and against decent defenses.
    3. I didn't believe Garza was any good at all as our center, yet this season he looks solid as a rock out there.

Astounding!
    • Like Like x 2
  8. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +786 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    433ß
    Agree on all counts.

And I would add to #2 that not only are the two rookies playing solid, but they are doing it next to each other, without veteran help on their sides. Coaching? The rookies? Both? Whatever got it done, I am impressed.
  9. Boochee Man

Boochee Man Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We used 1st quarter timeouts because the headset communication in Pittsburgh was awful according to the Bears. So that is unfair to criticize them for that.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +290 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Good-
    1. We lead the entire game, no comeback required this week, just some insurance points at the end.
    2. Trestman (and the coaching staff) are not afraid to throw the challenge flag when it is important. That Bennett TD is not a easy challenge to make, but it was important enough to make it worth the risk.
    2a. Guts enough to go for the TD on 4th and Goal.
    3. Stayed with the run even though the passing game seemed to be the best bet early on in the game, in short we were balanced.
    4. AJ showed up!!!! It is nice to see him get a lot of targets and catches.

Bad-
    1. How many times are they going to run that WR screen play? It had no success, and it reminded me of the "Devin Hester package".
    2. Needed to blitz in order to get to Big Ben, and when they got there they did not always get the sack.
    3. They kicked away from Hester and then the up man did not make them pay with a great return.
    4. Marshall had a couple of drops.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,266 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,658ß
    Things I saw that I expected to see:

1) A team that can score points (I could never have said that last year)

2) A team that does not quit

3) No real DL pressure (unfortunately, I could not have said that last year either). So far, I am not impressed with Tucker. I was more concerned with O this year since we had a completely new OL, many new players and a completely new scheme. Tucker had the benefit of pretty much an elite (but aging) defensive group. The LB are in transition, but they seem capable. Maybe Urlachers leadership was more important than I thought. I certainly am not seeing much from Tucker. The D should be stouter than it is. So I expected a lack of pressure again (after seeing the first two games) but at the same time I don't understand it and it should not be.

4) A 3-0 record (would not have said this at the beginning of the year, but after the first two games I thought we would win this)

5) A bears team with no pass rush and no Tillman safety valve is going to give up points.

Things I did not expect to see

1) Trestman got outcoached. I do believe that Trestman is one of the best offensive minds in football (ok, Tice is also, but in a different sense), and although LeBeau is one of the best defensive minds, I did not expect Trestman to lose that chess match. Now the Bears are a young team, and don't have all of the Trestman plays in the toolbox yet, but this was unexpected.

2) such a fast start. We had 17 points before I knew it. That does not normally happen. But then LeBeau made his adjustments and life got tougher for us. I actually thought we might lose the game for about 15 minutes.

A couple of thoughts.

1) With Melton down, a non effective DL is in even more trouble. I am not sure Tucker is the guy to get us out of this mess. I know it's early, but honestly, his job should have been easy compared to Trestmans

2) I am concerned about the Detroit game. I am 50-50 or maybe 55-45 on it. I think Long might handle Suh fairly well, but Suh is a high strung dirty player and if he gets flustered, I would not put it past him to try to injure someone on purpose. He has done it before and that's just the way he is.

3) I am very happy with this years team. I think we have a serious chance at the post season. At the same time, unless we can put pressure on the QB, we can't go far. We have to be able to put pressure on the QB. We need two Tillman's in their prime to be able to cover that flaw, and no team has that. Tucker needs to get his act together.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,177ß
    I agree that we need to keep doing the LB blitz simply because that seems to be the only way to get to the QB. But we pay a price when their OL picks up the blitz. It opens up lots of passing lanes. And remember, we were blitzing against one of the worst OL, Our pass defense won't be solid until/unless we can get a consistent pass rush from the front-4. If the Lions beat us and Stafford has 400+ passing yards with 4 TD's, maybe Tucker will make some changes. Melton hasn't done a damn thing this season, and Collins outplayed him last night. Also, let Washington play on 3rd-and-long. Wootton/McClellin ain't getting it done. Obviously, Tucker/Tresrman don't have a lot of confidence in Corny, but let us not forget the "definition of insanity." I am also not satisfied with Peppers 3 tackles and zero sacks through 3 games, but there's nothing to do about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +164 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    68ß
    Maybe it was just me because I tried to kinda focus him. I think he was visible on lots of plays, however he didn't get the job finish. He has to step up his game soon!

What I learned:
    Defense need to step up for sure. The pass looked better but if it didn't against the Oline Steelers has then it would have been abyssmal. Glad to see they atleast got to knock Big Ben. They just needed the last 10 procent and they would have made more than 3 sacks.
    Too many passing yards are giving. I think Big Ben had something around 400 yards? That's too much. He did a good job avoiding the sacks.
    The defense can still force many turnovers!
    Jeffery looked great in the first quarter but where did he go for the rest of the game?
    Marshall had a quiet game but was there right when we needed him the most.
    Oline did do a good job! I think Mills and Long still has their first penalty to make.
    Earl there you are!
    Williams proving himself to be a solid replacement for Urlacher and if he can play like this for the rest of the season I think we'll have to wait another year before Bostic becomes a starter.

Bears has trouble delievering the final blow. I don't have this need for nailbiter in every game. 24-3 the Steelers just never have had the thought of "We can make a comeback!"
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    Perhaps so. Once we got a nice lead (which was HUGE and I give Tman credit for) it looked like we ran the same 4 plays for the next 2 1/2 - 3 quarters even though they were clearly being taken away by the D. We did virtually nothing on offense (yards or points) for a big chunk of the game and it looked like we weren't really trying to either. Pitt was loading the box on running downs and crashing the pocket on passes. Yet, all we did is plunge Forte/Bush up the middle for 0-2 yards and plant Jay in the center of the storm over and over. The results were predictably poor.

And I have no idea of what's wrong with the front 4 but they aren't getting pressure at all. Maybe a little from Peppers and Woot but that's it. Hate to say it, but Melton's injury actually made it BETTER. Collins finally got some interior penetration. The pass D has been a sieve all three weeks (0utside of takeaways) and I'm afraid guys like Stafford and Brees are gonna score at will on us. Remember, we were facing two pretty weak passing attacks the last two weeks.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    127ß
    The conservative play calling had me puzzled as well. So far Trestman has not shown any of the creativity that he did when in the CFL. That may emerge later in the season. I presume they had reasons for playing such a vanilla offence once they had the lead (and I say 'they' because it isn't just a one man show). I can think of a number of reasons, but I would only be guessing.
  16. DavidL

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,177ß
    Precisely. I am expecting Stafford to have a big game next week. If the turnovers are equal, the Lions will probably win.
  17. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd say it is likely a combo of Coaching AND The Rookies. Remember Long was an unknown but had good talent. In addition Kromer coached up several low-round/UDFA's in NO to make a pretty damn good Offensive Line.

I agree, I thought the OL would be a clusterbomb but so far so good. I do think we will need to draft a C or hope we already have it on the roster with Taylor Boggs BUT if Garza keeps it up we would have the luxury of letting the C develop for a year or two.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,021 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,723ß
    We really need a healthy Peanut Tillman for that game. I hope his knee and groin injuries are not a big deal. He's the only guy we have who can slow down CJ.
  19. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    With Peanut being hurt, the coverage I'm seeing and the D-line woes, we better had put the Kitties away fast otherwise I don't like our chances.
  20. DavidL

Ratings:
    +744 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,177ß
    That would help, but I want to see our safeties patrol those deep passes down the sidelines. Tillman and Jennings are both getting beat on double-move by WR and pump fake by QB. I am sure other teams are now seeing that on film. Major Wright must cover Megatron over the top all day.