what we learned, chi v pitt

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Coordinator

Ratings:
    +3,209 / 12 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,170ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Things I saw that I expected to see:

1) A team that can score points (I could never have said that last year)

2) A team that does not quit

3) No real DL pressure (unfortunately, I could not have said that last year either). So far, I am not impressed with Tucker. I was more concerned with O this year since we had a completely new OL, many new players and a completely new scheme. Tucker had the benefit of pretty much an elite (but aging) defensive group. The LB are in transition, but they seem capable. Maybe Urlachers leadership was more important than I thought. I certainly am not seeing much from Tucker. The D should be stouter than it is. So I expected a lack of pressure again (after seeing the first two games) but at the same time I don't understand it and it should not be.

4) A 3-0 record (would not have said this at the beginning of the year, but after the first two games I thought we would win this)

5) A bears team with no pass rush and no Tillman safety valve is going to give up points.

Things I did not expect to see

1) Trestman got outcoached. I do believe that Trestman is one of the best offensive minds in football (ok, Tice is also, but in a different sense), and although LeBeau is one of the best defensive minds, I did not expect Trestman to lose that chess match. Now the Bears are a young team, and don't have all of the Trestman plays in the toolbox yet, but this was unexpected.

2) such a fast start. We had 17 points before I knew it. That does not normally happen. But then LeBeau made his adjustments and life got tougher for us. I actually thought we might lose the game for about 15 minutes.

A couple of thoughts.

1) With Melton down, a non effective DL is in even more trouble. I am not sure Tucker is the guy to get us out of this mess. I know it's early, but honestly, his job should have been easy compared to Trestmans

2) I am concerned about the Detroit game. I am 50-50 or maybe 55-45 on it. I think Long might handle Suh fairly well, but Suh is a high strung dirty player and if he gets flustered, I would not put it past him to try to injure someone on purpose. He has done it before and that's just the way he is.

3) I am very happy with this years team. I think we have a serious chance at the post season. At the same time, unless we can put pressure on the QB, we can't go far. We have to be able to put pressure on the QB. We need two Tillman's in their prime to be able to cover that flaw, and no team has that. Tucker needs to get his act together.

• Like Like x 2
  2. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +775 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,341ß
    I agree that we need to keep doing the LB blitz simply because that seems to be the only way to get to the QB. But we pay a price when their OL picks up the blitz. It opens up lots of passing lanes. And remember, we were blitzing against one of the worst OL, Our pass defense won't be solid until/unless we can get a consistent pass rush from the front-4. If the Lions beat us and Stafford has 400+ passing yards with 4 TD's, maybe Tucker will make some changes. Melton hasn't done a damn thing this season, and Collins outplayed him last night. Also, let Washington play on 3rd-and-long. Wootton/McClellin ain't getting it done. Obviously, Tucker/Tresrman don't have a lot of confidence in Corny, but let us not forget the "definition of insanity." I am also not satisfied with Peppers 3 tackles and zero sacks through 3 games, but there's nothing to do about it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    81ß
    Maybe it was just me because I tried to kinda focus him. I think he was visible on lots of plays, however he didn't get the job finish. He has to step up his game soon!

What I learned:
    Defense need to step up for sure. The pass looked better but if it didn't against the Oline Steelers has then it would have been abyssmal. Glad to see they atleast got to knock Big Ben. They just needed the last 10 procent and they would have made more than 3 sacks.
    Too many passing yards are giving. I think Big Ben had something around 400 yards? That's too much. He did a good job avoiding the sacks.
    The defense can still force many turnovers!
    Jeffery looked great in the first quarter but where did he go for the rest of the game?
    Marshall had a quiet game but was there right when we needed him the most.
    Oline did do a good job! I think Mills and Long still has their first penalty to make.
    Earl there you are!
    Williams proving himself to be a solid replacement for Urlacher and if he can play like this for the rest of the season I think we'll have to wait another year before Bostic becomes a starter.

Bears has trouble delievering the final blow. I don't have this need for nailbiter in every game. 24-3 the Steelers just never have had the thought of "We can make a comeback!"

4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,729 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    785ß
    Perhaps so. Once we got a nice lead (which was HUGE and I give Tman credit for) it looked like we ran the same 4 plays for the next 2 1/2 - 3 quarters even though they were clearly being taken away by the D. We did virtually nothing on offense (yards or points) for a big chunk of the game and it looked like we weren't really trying to either. Pitt was loading the box on running downs and crashing the pocket on passes. Yet, all we did is plunge Forte/Bush up the middle for 0-2 yards and plant Jay in the center of the storm over and over. The results were predictably poor.

And I have no idea of what's wrong with the front 4 but they aren't getting pressure at all. Maybe a little from Peppers and Woot but that's it. Hate to say it, but Melton's injury actually made it BETTER. Collins finally got some interior penetration. The pass D has been a sieve all three weeks (0utside of takeaways) and I'm afraid guys like Stafford and Brees are gonna score at will on us. Remember, we were facing two pretty weak passing attacks the last two weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  5. billatter

billatter Veteran

Ratings:
    +352 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    218ß
    The conservative play calling had me puzzled as well. So far Trestman has not shown any of the creativity that he did when in the CFL. That may emerge later in the season. I presume they had reasons for playing such a vanilla offence once they had the lead (and I say 'they' because it isn't just a one man show). I can think of a number of reasons, but I would only be guessing.

6. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +775 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,341ß
    Precisely. I am expecting Stafford to have a big game next week. If the turnovers are equal, the Lions will probably win.

7. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'd say it is likely a combo of Coaching AND The Rookies. Remember Long was an unknown but had good talent. In addition Kromer coached up several low-round/UDFA's in NO to make a pretty damn good Offensive Line.

I agree, I thought the OL would be a clusterbomb but so far so good. I do think we will need to draft a C or hope we already have it on the roster with Taylor Boggs BUT if Garza keeps it up we would have the luxury of letting the C develop for a year or two.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,022 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    3,394ß
    We really need a healthy Peanut Tillman for that game. I hope his knee and groin injuries are not a big deal. He's the only guy we have who can slow down CJ.

9. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,519 / 0 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    639ß
    With Peanut being hurt, the coverage I'm seeing and the D-line woes, we better had put the Kitties away fast otherwise I don't like our chances.

10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

Ratings:
    +775 / 7 / -26
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,341ß
    That would help, but I want to see our safeties patrol those deep passes down the sidelines. Tillman and Jennings are both getting beat on double-move by WR and pump fake by QB. I am sure other teams are now seeing that on film. Major Wright must cover Megatron over the top all day.