What young player do you see over/underperforming?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    My original title was going to be too long, so here's the jib of it: What young player do you see as being either a "flash in the pan" or one that will not live up to his promise, and what is a fairly unknown young player on this team (unknown outside of this message board, of course, lol) that you could see coming out of nowhere and shocking everyone?

I guess Shea would be an easy answer, but seeing as he's already a borderline bust anyway, I'd have to go with probably Mills. I think the kid's okay, but given that he's got a serious injury to deal with, he might not have a stellar sophomore season.

As far as coming out of nowhere and shocking everyone, I'm gonna have to go with Frey, as he was OK with a horrible pass rush last year, and with Tillman and Jennings staying together one last year, with a MUCH IMPROVED d-line (the draft will finish what FA started), I think that opposing QB's are going to be forced to throw it his way a lot more, which will undoubtedly lead to more chances for him to pick off a few passes

Tl;dr Mills & Frey.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,966 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    974ß
    I think if Bass gets to see any time he could really shine he showed some flashes last year.

Shea has a very solid chance of not making it at LB, 50-50 bad to average.
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +110 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    I'm afraid that Bostic isn't going to live up to his promise. I know he may not have been made to play the middle and could excel on the outside but I'm not confident he will.

As far as coming out of nowhere, I think Wilson has a chance to impress depending on how many opportunities he gets to play.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +82 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    I like the pick in Frey. He's going have to step up his game to beat out Hayden for the nickel.

Along with Shea at LB... I'd go with Khaseem Greene as someone that won't live up to his 3rd rd status. He had a tough time adjusting to the game speed it seemed and was exposed in both the run & pass while filling in for Briggs late last season. He's lucky the depth is weak at that position b/c his best bet at making the 53 is as a special teamer/reserve.

Breaking out... the path is pretty much laid out for Marquess Wilson. The 3rd WR spot is pretty much up for grabs and there will be a lot of open field and miss matches for whomever gets it with teams trying to keep Jeffery and Marshall in check.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    Paea. I think that playing with Ratliff and learning what he can from him is gonna help him a lot. He's in his contract year and he needs to show that he's worth keeping around and ready to make a jump skills wise. He's strong and he's very quick buy he needs to anticipate the snap better and learn to read blocks. Those are things I think Ratliff can help him with.

I still think the bust may be Greene. To me he showed nothing last year. He's a terrible tackler and can't get off a block to save his ass. There was a lot of disappointing performances on that defense last year but he was pathetic. He was side stepping RBs trying to make arm tackles rather lowering his shoulder into them. He played like a pussy.
  6. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    For me as far as breaking out I'll go with Frey, and Wilson. Frey has been under the radar sense the day he was drafted. Nobody really thought he would make the roster. He did, and in year 2 was able to preform solidly for us at NB. He seems like an overachiever to me, so it would't shock me at all to see him take another step. Wilson I almost expect to have a coming out party this year. With Bennett gone, the door is wide open for Wilson to take over the slot. Keep in mind this guy was a 2nd round prospect before that whole walking out thing so I could see him doing what he did last year on a enormously expanded role: make plays when called upon. He got hardly any looks last year but seemed to always be running good routes, not dropping the damn thing and I was impressed on how much effort he puts into blocking. Combine that with working out with BM and AJ this off season and I see it coming.

To under preform, I think I have to go with Shea. Now I can see being dead wrong on this one but I think that Lovie and Emery insisting that he was a DE may have really damaged a could have been good career. He should have been playing the SAM this whole time (setting aside the fact Emery should have never drafted a 3-4 OLB to begin with) and I'm not sure if he can make another transition after 2 wasted years of struggling at DE. Like I said, I may be selling him short and maybe being back at a OLB role (although a vastly different one) he can get back to his old tricks of being a terror for the opposing offense. We will see how old Mely uses him.
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    And one of the better reasons I can think of for not drafting a 3-4 linemen right now either. Grizz I think they plan on using him in more ways then just as a SAM. Emery says they want him to be a 3 down player which means to me they tend to play him standing up (hallelujah) and move him around so he can penetrate and blitz or use him in coverage. He has enough speed for it.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    I honestly think Shea will have more highlight stats than any of the other young LB's, unless we draft one really high.
  9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß

Yep I hope he learned from his mistake. Saying "well he can just drop 40 lbs and learn a position that is kinda the same" is no different than the thought shea could add 40 lbs and play a "similar" position.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,356 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    I've been very critical of Shea McClellan. I have been bitterly disappointed in his play. But in recent days I tried to take a clean look at him from a LB standpoint. I watched video on him, and went back and read all of the scouting information I could find. The Bears really went against what those scouting reports say and tried to pound a square peg into a round hole. I never came across a single scout that thought he was fit to play 4-3 DE at the NFL level. But they DID say he could be a really solid LB (especially a SAM 4-3 linebacker).

The more I think about it, I'm thinking Shea may be THE surprise this season, and a good surprise. He just might be pretty solid at LB & we find that he was simply played at the wrong position by the Bears.

The guy is actually faster than Greene and Lance Briggs - and a lot bigger. He now has some NFL experience and maybe he can leverage that to shorten the learning curve for playing the LB role. The guy is only 24 years old, so if he does show he can play well at LB, we have a young guy who could give us solid play for a long time to come.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,966 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    974ß
    JABF I hope you are right, I know of one pro scout on this board that 100% believed he would be a 3 down 4-3 DE, but I never believed it, most of what I read was 3-4 OLB, but if you have stuff saying 4-3 SAM I'm hoping you are correct, he'll still have to shed blocks from TE's and T's which is something he struggled with, but maybe he'll be able to use his speed more from a standing position.
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,356 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    746ß
    I'm curious to see how Shea and Conte do this year. It's the 11th-hour for both of them I think. It would be great if one or even both of them prove to be good players. This is the make-or-break year for both though.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +291 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Positive - McShea
    Negative - Mills.
    And my final thought - I dont care how but we need to win NFCN this year, im really sick of those GB bastards, cant stand them
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I've had that thought too, I just hope the damage hasn't been done to his career. Watching him was maddening at DE and I think he caught the ire of most fans (myself included) that didn't want to see him in a bears uni anymore. Looking back, and nowt hat he IS where he belongs I feel bad for the guy and hope he can pick up where he left off at Bosie State. I just really hope that Emery/Lovie didn't do irreversible damage to his career and he can take something away form his time at DE.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    The only Bears player I can ever recall doing that was Melton and obviously he had the frame for it. McClellin can't even keep 260lbs on. He's roughly 245-248lbs and that's good for a 6'3" OLB.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,835 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,516ß
    True although they may have more patience with McClellin if only because he was a 1st round pick. But he has to show he's got some aptitude for playing LB they way he'll be asked to here. If he plays well and progresses throughout the year he's safe.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Didn't Shea play a lot of Mike backer at Boise? Not all the time, but wasn't he a pretty good coverage guy?
  18. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Over-perform=CornWash
  19. Bear_40

Bear_40 Rookie

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    Having a good year - Bostic.
    Having a crap year - Corn Wash if he sees the field.

Worried about Mills. Hate to see an injury impact his play so soon in his career. Time will tell.
  20. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,539 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    728ß
    I like Wilson's chances this year and I think McClellin will also play better, but I don't think he will be where they wanted him to be. I'm concerned about Bostic but hope I'm wrong