When will Bears go to the offense in draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BSBEARS, Apr 15, 2014.

1. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    I realize I am a minority here but the Offense is only an injury away from an ugly year. The only way to ensure the offense keeps rolling is to have solid backups and we have 3 position on offense that an injury could seriously cripple us and I doubt that vulnerability has gone unnoticed by the brain trust. Although we want to improve the defense and depth the same is open for debate on Offense. My opinion is QB, RB, and TE are weak if injury occurs and I can not see Phil allowing it to happen on offense as it did defense last year.

Big Question is are we comfortable with Palmer. If the answer is no, QB may be a higher priority than we believe. If Cutler goes down it will not matter who we have on defense if Palmer is not capable. A late pick will not replace Palmer, we have a development project already signed. If we are good with Palmer I am not convinced we draft a QB this yr. May wait for UDFA to get competition for Jerrod Johnson and see who sticks.

Running back is a question mark and will Ford be given the #2 position will a 4th or higher pick be used.

TE. No way Onobun can hold Bennetts jock strap, let alone replace him on the field. If we get an injury at TE we will lose a large percentage of our offense allowing defenses to scheme on WR and RB. For those who go by what Phil says for justification , here ya go.

http://beargoggleson.com/2014/04/13/2014-nfl-draft-prospect-profile-north-carolina-te-eric-ebron/
    upload_2014-4-15_17-40-35.png

I doubt we pull the trigger on Eborn, but RD 3 could very well be a TE. Niklas or Fiedorwicz (Iowa TE). Could take a chance like last yr and take the troubled TE Lyerla from Oregon in Rd 6 and let K. Long take him under his tutelage as they were college team mates. I posted that one before but we will draft a TE somewhere in this draft is my bet.

Here is another tidbit from one of them outsiders that do not know what they are talking about,

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-will-regret-not-making-this-offseason/page/2

upload_2014-4-15_17-51-27.png

No way Phil does not address TE and possibly QB and RB depending on his comfort level with existing, You have to keep both sides strong but I sure do not want to sacrifice the offense. I am on board for defense RD 1 and could see it in RD 2. I could also see RD 2 being a QB depending on Palmer and the teams assessment. If RD 2 is defense along with 1 watch out for RB or TE. Those that believe this will be an all Defense draft I think will be surprised. Not sure when we go offense but I suspect no later than rd 4 and expect atleast 2 offense picks if we ride with Palmer and 3 if we do not. If a Value pick is there you have to take or trade out of this number could increase.

Yeah Owen Daniels was a free agent I was hoping for, since it did not happen I think Phil has it slotted for the draft.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,235ß
    I would love to see us draft TE Fiedorwicz. He's solid receiving AND blocking. Big guy too.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    6a and 6b or hopefully never.

CHICAGO BEARS ... Fifth ranked offense ...

Thirty first ranked ........

DEFENSE !!!

I dont know if any of you watched the last SUPERBOWL ...
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +829 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    876ß
    Injury to Bennett or Forte and you may have a 30th ranked offense too. I see the need to build the defense while keeping the offense strong, and not risking the offense to quick build the defense. Do not get me wrong I would love them both to be awesome, but believe you have to keep the offense strong and build the defense to match it. A key injury on offense could take the offense back down and we would be middle of the pack at both. Keeping the offense strong allows us to win lots of games, without an offense the defense is not the 85 Bears and will not win a Super Bowl alone. Thus keep the offense strong and build up the Defense, top 10 to 15 with a strong offense will play well, it may not win the super bowl but next yr we should be set. Alternatively injuries on offense to Forte, Bennett, and or Cutler would be to similar to the defense last yr and I believe we should safeguard against it.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    519ß
    Yeah the whole thing is built around JCUT stayin healthy but thats true of every NFL team.

But look at what we did when J.McCown stepped up .... some OL most have came from somthing somwhere.

And thats what it took . We need the same for DEFENSE.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    When will Bears go to the offense in draft?

After the other guys punt?

I could see some possibility of taking "Fiedo" if he fell to us at a spot we just couldn't pass by him on but not on a reach. As long as Onobun is still a piece of the puzzle I don't think they'll use a high pick on a TE. There are still FAs out there who haven't signed yet just in case.

C.J. Fiedorowicz
    TE Iowa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Grade
    5.5 ?
    • 4.76 SEC
    • 25 REPS
      Top Performer
    • 31.5 INCH
    • 116.0 INCH
    • 7.10 SEC
      Top Performer
    • 4.26 SEC
      Top Performer
    Blue Star = Top Performer
    • 6'5" Height
    • 33" Arm Length
    • 265LBS. Weight
    • 10 1/4" Hands
    Overview
    2013: First-team All-Big Ten. Finished season with career-high six touchdowns. 2012: Honorable mention All-Big Ten selection. Started all 12 games. 2011: Played in all 13 games and made five starts. 2010: Played in all 13 games.

Analysis
    Strengths
    Has outstanding size and big hands. Has size to widen the hole or seal defensive ends. Good balance and body control for his size. Surprising lower-body flexibility to sink his hips to run sharp-angle routes. Has stature and enough speed to threaten the seam. Understands how to use his frame and physicality to create subtle separation. Makes athletic hands catches off his frame. Sizable catch radius. Shows toughness and concentration in traffic. Lowers his shoulder to deliver a blow after the catch. Can line up in-line or split out. Smart and durable.

Weaknesses
    Builds to average speed. Fairly straight-linish athlete. Not elusive after the catch. Can improve as a move blocker and develop more of a mean streak to finish blocks. Average production. Could stand to adopt a more blue-collar work ethic when people aren’t watching -- is not a self-starter and has been able to cruise on his rare size and natural ability.

Bottom Line
    Big-framed, linear and dependable, Fiedorowicz looks the part and has balanced skills to be a legitimate “Y” tight end in the pros. Is an asset as a competitive blocker and as a sure-handed receiver. Will be in demand in a relatively thin tight ends class.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,235ß
    It seems like we acquire TE's who are one-trick ponies, with the notable exception of Bennett. They block but can't catch. Or they can't block or catch. I agree we shouldn't reach for this guy. He's predicted as a 3rd or 4th round pick. If he's available in the 4th round he'd be a steal.
  8. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    That's not really true JABF. We have have balanced TE's before. For instance, Davis could not either block or catch (in even proportions)
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,235ß
    But he was a perennial stud at summer training camp catching everything in sight :-)
    On a serious note, it will be interesting to see if Onobun can improve.
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Kellen says :blowme: :rofl2:
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I guarantee he will......................or be gone. LOL
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    He is my dark horse. He can really be something if the light turns on. I hope we can coach him up. Allen is good for 2 -3 more years and it's damn hard to find a stud DE that no one else has noticed.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Flicka says it's tough to find a stud period.

[​IMG]
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,235ß
    This will be Onobun's 5th season in the NFL. We are his 6th team in those 5 years. If he hasn't learned how to catch a football by this season, then the Fendi experiment is probably over. How did the guy catch a basketball? Watching him drop passes makes me wonder. And he certainly can't block. I think the Bears have seen some excellent TE's come from a basketball background, and have mistakenly come to the conclusion that all you need to do is draft a basketball dude and you have a great NFL TE. If only it were that easy.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    They are bigger balls. If only we had Canadian balls here.... sigh....
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,235ß

LOL. And with that one, I have to say goodnight and head for bed. Us old geezers fold by 10pm Illinois time :-)
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Some one call for big balls again?

18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,894 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,216ß
    A ball call?
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well it's obvious from the video that the Canadians aren't the only ones with big balls. The Aussie's have them beat.
  20. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Wouldn't mind the 3rd round pick to be on offense, as long as 3 of the first 4 are on defense.

TE, QB, RB, O line and even WR can all be drafted if the player is there. We're better off drafting a very good RB or TE than a bad CB just to fill a need.
    • Like Like x 1