Where are play action passes?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    Did we have any? I did not see any. We need more dimensions.
  2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    Well, I said the same thing in the chat, and Ric or Jimmors, somebody, reminded me that "You have to make them fear the running game before you can use play action".
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0

Just became a fan of the game yesterday or were you born yesterday ?
  4. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,244 / 4 / -2
    Not necessarily, the colts have been utilizing the play action pass for years without much of a run game. It's the second of hesitation that helps the play develop. They don't have to fear the run game, they just have to believe you will run the ball.
  5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0

YEAH BUT ,... having a line that can open holes and backs that can run on ya help sells that too BDF,.... Addai wasn't a slouch

addai.jpg

Some nice looking YPCs there on Addai's part
  6. shark86x

shark86x SuperFan

Ratings:
    +386 / 0 / -0
    length
    width
    height
    time

anything more than that is science fiction.

Speaking of another dimension, are you ever going to inform us of what JC, Stafford and Dalton have in common?
    • Like Like x 1
  7. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -1
    I did. They all went to the Probowl once.
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
  9. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,244 / 4 / -2
    No he wasn't, at least in his early years, and neither is Forte, which kind of proves my point. They play action pass is a hell of a tool to use and can not only work well with an established run game in any given game, but can help to establish a run game if it isn't working well. I agree that a good running game (or the possibility thereof) is a big factor in that, and we have it in Forte/Bush.

The play action pass causes a pause in the defense. If you have someone like forte in the backfield that isn't having a great day, but can break one out at any time, the defense has to respect that. Using the play action pass doesn't allow the defense to bite on run plays immediately, which can help to open up holes for the run game as the game goes on because they don't know if it's an actual handoff, or a play action pass.

My point is that you don't have to have established the run game in one particular game in order to utilize the play action pass, only that the threat of being able to establish it because of having a kick ass back like forte allows it to work.

Here's an example. Lets say in the first quarter we can't establish a run game. Forte is averaging 2.5 ypc. In the second quarter we have a few series where we run forte some, throw some passes and mix in 4 or 5 play action passes. Now when forte runs the ball, the defense doesn't bite immediately because they don't know if it's going to be a run or play action pass. That split second of pause on the defenses part allows forte to gain a few more yards per carry, and therefore establishes the run game.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    You won me over with that argument. Good stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,244 / 4 / -2
    I spent six years coaching youth football. Well, more than that actually. Started with flag football when my son was in kidnergarten and then coached him through 8th grade. Really learned to appreciate the science behind play calling and game planning. I'm in love with the play action pass.

Of course the NFL is a whole different ballgame, and much more complex, but the fundamentals are important at any level, and the play action pass still has it's value.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2
    That's awesome. I wish I had that kind of first hand experience/knowledge.
  13. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,244 / 4 / -2
    Yeah, mine came because of having kids, and playing football through highscool myself. My dad coached me and showed me a lot about it when he was coaching me. He watched college football all day on saturdays and would study it. Developed a play calling scheme that even third graders could understand. I never forgot that and carried it on while I was coaching.

Some of the coaches in the youth league didn't have kids. They were just guys that loved football and working with youth. Those leagues often have a shortage of coaches and assistants to help so it's easy to get in. If you have an interest in it, you can probably find a local youth league to sign up as an assistant and help out for a while and then work up to a head coaching spot. I'm thinking about doing it myself once my oldest is out of high school. It's a low cost (really no cost other than time) hobby, and if you like kids and like football it's a good fit.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,942 / 8 / -2

I have a nephew that's getting close to that age, so that sounds like a good thing for both of us. A question I have, what types of things did your dad study while watching the games? Obviously he knew what he was talking about, given your knowledge on the subject, but seeing as I'm the type that only pays attention to the o-line and d-line, I really don't know what's going on, lol.
  15. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute

Ratings:
    +1,244 / 4 / -2
    I'd be more than happy to show you what he taught me. It's so simple, but genius. Not sure how to explain it other than he designed a play calling scheme that children could understand. He watched college games to see play designs and made it very simple. For instance, we only ran one or two formations, mostly I formation, and ran everything out of that. I learned from my own coaching experience that the I formation can get to be a cluster fuck, and switched it to a Y or T formation and everything ran more smoothly. Either way, it's basically taking complex play design and "dumbing it down" so kids can run it successfully.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,274 / 3 / -6
    How many of them were elected.... Meaning not substitutes? Any idea?