Where are play action passes?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Sep 13, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Did we have any? I did not see any. We need more dimensions.

2. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    Well, I said the same thing in the chat, and Ric or Jimmors, somebody, reminded me that "You have to make them fear the running game before you can use play action".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:

Just became a fan of the game yesterday or were you born yesterday ?

4. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    Not necessarily, the colts have been utilizing the play action pass for years without much of a run game. It's the second of hesitation that helps the play develop. They don't have to fear the run game, they just have to believe you will run the ball.

5. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:

YEAH BUT ,... having a line that can open holes and backs that can run on ya help sells that too BDF,.... Addai wasn't a slouch

addai.jpg

Some nice looking YPCs there on Addai's part

6. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    885ß
    length
    width
    height
    time

anything more than that is science fiction.

Speaking of another dimension, are you ever going to inform us of what JC, Stafford and Dalton have in common?

• Like Like x 1
  7. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    I did. They all went to the Probowl once.

8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
  9. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    No he wasn't, at least in his early years, and neither is Forte, which kind of proves my point. They play action pass is a hell of a tool to use and can not only work well with an established run game in any given game, but can help to establish a run game if it isn't working well. I agree that a good running game (or the possibility thereof) is a big factor in that, and we have it in Forte/Bush.

The play action pass causes a pause in the defense. If you have someone like forte in the backfield that isn't having a great day, but can break one out at any time, the defense has to respect that. Using the play action pass doesn't allow the defense to bite on run plays immediately, which can help to open up holes for the run game as the game goes on because they don't know if it's an actual handoff, or a play action pass.

My point is that you don't have to have established the run game in one particular game in order to utilize the play action pass, only that the threat of being able to establish it because of having a kick ass back like forte allows it to work.

Here's an example. Lets say in the first quarter we can't establish a run game. Forte is averaging 2.5 ypc. In the second quarter we have a few series where we run forte some, throw some passes and mix in 4 or 5 play action passes. Now when forte runs the ball, the defense doesn't bite immediately because they don't know if it's going to be a run or play action pass. That split second of pause on the defenses part allows forte to gain a few more yards per carry, and therefore establishes the run game.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    942ß
    You won me over with that argument. Good stuff.

• Like Like x 1