Where the hell are our other receiving threats?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    The offense is looking great through 2 games, is balanced, Marshall's not showing any signs of his hip being a bother, and M. Bennett and Forte are taking a lot of the load off of Marshall's shoulders in the passing game, but Jeffrey and E. Bennett just aren't "getting it done". Now, Jeffrey did almost have a pass for a touchdown yesterday, but he and Earl Bennett are largely playing forgettable football. I'm not saying this is a problem or anything, yet, but neither one is doing anything to show themselves as quality #2 and #3 WR's.

There will come a game in which the other three targets aren't doing so hot, and we need them to show up, and I'm pretty sure Jeffery will have a decent game against Cortez Allen and Ike Taylor, but until they do, where the hell are Jeffery and Bennett?
  2. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Rookie

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    A lot of the offense so far seems to be a bit of the "take what the defense gives you" type. The result is that there is a lot of check down and short passes. This could also be to cover the rookies on the O-Line.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    Well yeah, but that means neither of them are getting open, especially Earl Bennett.
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +601 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    275ß
    I've never been sold on Bennett. He'll never be more than an average WR. Jeffrey has been coming along pretty well, but with Marshall and M.Bennett getting primary receiver status, he'll be supporting cast. Also, I noticed that our new coach loves to call pass plays for Forte. I think he had 11 receptions against Vikings. With he and Marshall combining for nearly 200 (plus 50+ to M. Bennett), we don't need much from Jeffrey. Now, if we only had Johnny Knox back. It's a cryin' shame what happened.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +122 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    14ß
    At Earls current level of performance, I don't see him on sticking around for the long term.

I like Alshon. His numbers and performance is better than Earl. He is still young and has room to grow.
  6. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +168 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    113ß
    I wonder just what the fuuck we are making when it comes to WR.
    I dont know that we have made anything yet.
    Theres guys in the pipeline but they seem to be not used.
    But lets stray from WR ... Michael BUSH.
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    RIght now Jeffery is the 4th passing option, which means that, at best Earl is the 5th. But think about this, right now Trest is trying to find what does and does not work, while also making JC comfortable w/the O. I would not say the O has looked great, it's looked really good, but this is just the opening phase of installing a new O, and trying to help a very young OL right side get used to the NFL. Earl missed all pre season w/a serious concussion, so it's very possible he's still learning his role anyways. Jeffery is a 2nd yr WR learning a new system and for the 1st time a real nfl offense, and has looked okay.

I think come the bye week that you might well start to see the other players start to step up. Bush will probably get a series or 2 in the games, and Alshon and Earl, and even some of the other WR's might start to see some targets. But as long as the team is winning b/c of the big three and a lil help from the supporting cast I'm fine w/that.
    • Like Like x 7
  8. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

plus1.png
  9. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,338 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Saw a stat this morning that the ball is being spread around pretty evenly, but Jeffrey and e.Bennett aren't catching many.

The gameplan for the vikes involved a lot of passes to forte because they saw it worked for Detroit against minny. It obviously was working well for us too.
    • Like Like x 4
  10. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    IMHO If I'm Trestman like rz says Im letting Cutty get into his groove and work out the kinks,. Trestmans got him checking down, which already is a BIG PLUS from prior OCs Aside from having more capable receivers and targets to throw to

WE have to remember this is Cutty's fourth offense in 5 years that he's learning since becoming a bear ,... add what ?? another 1 - 2 from being at Denver ? the man has consumed tons of knowledge in how many years ??

I heard on one of his post game clips on TV where he's taking these close games and telling the team

Tressy knows the score, AND I'm liking this approach ,..BIG TIME ! ! ! in how's he playing the wins out ,... pointing out the obvious ,.. that they could have lost ,...AND hopefully he is getting in their heads overall

Tresty's holding his aces close,....

Don't worry about who they're not going to just yet ,...out of site out of mind,...and what teams don't have on tape ,..they can't defend against or game plan against on offense.

The Bears O as it stands has taken great strides toward improvement in utilizing the skilled positions as a whole. The retooling of this offense has only just begun and I'm sure Trestman is as anxious as the next guy to turn some more pages in that playbook,..as well as write some new Bears history

BUT AT LEAST HE Knows and has gone record with his feeling about these wins

In due time, grasshoppers ,....... in due time ;)

Trestman's a snake slithering around in the grasses of the NFC North,... full knowing it could very well be a log jam by season's end with 2 maybe 3 teams vying for the division crown/wild card spots

We could even begin see Earl the Pearl being alternated on simple basic pass plays just so Trestman can get some looks from the newer guys in Wilson, Anderson , or Weems even,... then maybe a roster move later in the activating Ford ,...which will also give them game time experience.

WHO KNEW ????

Unless we're flies on the walls of the practice dome or a flies on a tree when they're outside,.. we won't know until game day what he's up to.

I for one,.... welcome the element surprise he as
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 2 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    i understand Earl but week one Jefferys had 8 Catches? Players like CJ, and Marshell still get shut down every few week, and i wouldn't even say Jefferys was shut down vs vikes.
    I think you need to look at box stats instead of preseason opinions.
  12. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    WTF....I read the entire thread and see no one saying Jefferys had 8 catches in week one, which is not true. Perhaps you need to look at box stats more. I dont know where this even came from.
  13. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,474 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    he had 8 targets and 5 rec's. He had 5 targets last week and only 1 catch. I think the problem might be the fact that out of 13 targets he's caught under 50% of them.
  14. GBlaze23

GBlaze23 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He has shown good hands, I'm not worried about that. He makes tough catches. If you are trying to correct me however, the poster said he had 8 catches last week. *shrugs*
  15. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,216 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    112ß
    He and Earl Bennett are underwhelming so far. Nothing to be worried about, as they've played good defenses, but when we get in "shoot out" games, they're gonna need to be relied upon.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I think picking on Jeffery (with MartyB, Marshall, and Forte kicking ass) for not having more yards is a little premature and unfair right now. I'm not worried about him.

Earl on the other hand has one catch and very few looks even. Unless something changes big time, there's no need for him to be here next year. Or even to "start" out of the slot later this year. If he isn't even getting targets from Jay, lets give Joe Anderson or Wilson a shot.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +226 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    meh, with all due respect, I think you are kinda overreacting at this point, Henry. Cutler HAS been spreading the wealth pretty evenly.....Marshall, Bennett, Forte AND Jeffery have each been targeted around 27-33% of the time. Jeffery just seems to have a lower "reception/completion rate" than the other three, for whatever reason (as some have already pointed out). As for Bennett..well, hell..there is only one football and there are only so many passing plays...lol. Not too many teams spread the ball evenly between 5 different guys!
    • Like Like x 3
  18. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    Good point BMG.

Also the offense operates in reaction to the opposing D's game plan. If the opposing D give us single TE coverage all day, then the TE should get a lot of balls.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +443 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    This is jut what I want the opponents to do when they look at the Bear film. Let's not worry about Alshon or Earl because we must shut those other guys down. Then guess what Trest is going to do? If your big weapons are not a true threats then they wouldn't have to worry about them, obviously they do but we have more...That's why this will get interesting as the year goes on to see how all these weapons start to be utilized. So only after 2 games I wouldn't get your panties in a bunch about the other guys just yet.
    • Like Like x 3
  20. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    boom-hi.png