Where the hell are our other receiving threats?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Um, Earl Bennett already has a long history of not producing, getting injured, and generally disappearing on the field. Alshon Jeffery has that magic "potential", but has yet to realize any of it. More than enough seasons to say Earl Bennett is starting to look like a liability, and AJ just isn't showing us what he has, yet, if he even shows it at all. He's made some good catches, and will probably have a few good games, but the way this board talks about him, it's like he's Brandon Marshall 2.0, and Trestman's gonna get everything out of him!!!!! What I'm saying is, he just hasn't produced since he's gotten here, and a few amazing catches does not a complete player make. He COULD be that number 2 we're looking for, but he hasn't proven that by a long shot. I'm not worried or anything, but these two need to start picking it up.
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    ^ Well we will have to agree to disagree. Because that's not what I see at all other than yes Earl gets hurt a lot. But when he does get a chance he has produced for us in the past when thrown his way. Alshon will be and so will Marquess the Marshall replacements. These guys are just pups and wait till they get a little seasoning especially under Trest tutelage. These 2 guys will be solid players and both WILL BE pro bowl players you can take that to the bank.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

woot.jpg woot.jpg woot.jpg woot.jpg
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +592 / 4 / -17
    ßearz ßuckz:
    199ß
    They targeted Jeffrey TWICE on that final drive before throwing to Martellus. Alshon got past the CB on both plays. The CB leaped on the first one and made a finger-tip deflection. If Mills were not flagged for holding and the pass a few inches higher, that's a TD for sure. Trestman came right back to that play,and Jeffrey beat the CB, but Cutler overthrew him. Then they went to Bennett. BTW, the LB was sleeping on that play. Earl B. was used only to occupy the CB. When the LB just stood there instead of following Martellus, the CB came over but too late. I enjoy studying replays.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +431 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    I'll second that.
    • Like Like x 3
  6. kevperro

kevperro Rookie

Ratings:
    +35 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Boldin was held to one catch this week after having thirteen last week. It is too small of a sample size to judge. Earl has been gold on third downs in the past and he isn't the quality of player who dominates games. He is good for a few clutch 3rd down conversions and once our offense gets into a groove that is all he needs to do. We have Marshall, the other Bennet and Jeffrey for the red zone.

It would be nice to see Jeffrey pulling down a few more. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt until the sample size gets bigger.
  7. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +479 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Don't for one second think you've seen what this offense can do. It won't be until next year that it really starts clicking. right now Tresty's keeping it simple to get the guys acclimated, especially the two rooks on the right side. Game after game they will get more complex and add more plays and wrinkles. Like a game plan, he's got a season plan. Let's wait to see how it develops.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I think either way this is Bennett's last year with the Bears to be honest.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +190 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    When was the last time the Bears had so many weapons that we are discussing just why a couple of them aren't being targeted enough?
    All will come with time.
    :)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    It's not that they're not being targeted enough; the onus is on them to get open. Yeah, AJ had that one pass that he was almost open on (why that's a sticking point, I'll never know), but Bennett has been underwhelming for a slot receiver in the NFL
  11. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    HB you know better,.... Prior to this season he hasn't played all that much due to injury,... and with what's going now,.. he too was another one out for for a good part of TC,... jus saying ,...

I'm willing to let it go another week or two to see how it progresses for him
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    He's certainly been in the league long enough, and on the team long enough to develop a "rapport" with Cutler. Just saying dude isn't getting open nearly enough.
  13. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    YES HE HAS
    heck his best years as a Bears were Curtty first two years here =

HB I'm sure you saw how the receivers were used both prior to and after Cutty coming here

Last year Marsh was his go to guy ,... Ashlon got hurt early on ,.. AND there wasn't all that much time to do check downs Like he has now

I said it earlier in this thread. I feel we're going to see Earl emerge as well as the others when the time is right .

Trestsman's tuning Ole Jay up for the long haul here working his confidence level up WHICH seems to be working ,..... and wouldn't you want your QB in a better position to make better decisions with MORE receivers down the road ?
    I know i'd sure as hell would and if Earl is a lil softer than the others from TC I still don't see an issue there NOW ,...in another 2-3 games we should all know whether Earl is going to weather the storm or not. and who else may or may not be ready for stepping up

Patience grasshopper ;) We all have to wait to see where this all going ,...
    • Like Like x 2
  14. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,330 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Im with Burris on this one. My patience is wearing thin with Bennett. Especially since he has some young guys with potential on his heels.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +248 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    Our coaching staff isn't afraid to start rookies over veterans. So if E Bennett isn't up to it, we will see the younger guys. And sooner rather than later.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    I know Bennett's got "amazing hands", but seeing as he can't get open, he's actually not much better than Roy Williams. In fact, Bennett's best season beats Roy Williams' WORST season by only one touchdown. Not very productive.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Now ya gotta stop,... Yer reaching those days are gone ,.. Stop living in what was

I don't give a ratz azz bout the stats prior to Trestman being here

The Guard has changed
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,195 / 8 / -7
    ßearz ßuckz:
    67ß
    Okay then...... Bennett was unproductive before, and is unproductive now. There seems to be a constant here...
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    It cant be just one with Marshall.

The game has to be spread ... This is Tressmans call.

Every other team is doing it.

Theres no way this TEAM is going to succeed with a one dimensional WR attack plan.

BTW ... where is Michael Bush ? Were is that Ford guy ?

The TE BENNETT gets us the winning TD ... gimped doing it ?

Thats not the way to run a football team ... you must have backups.

This one really pisses me off ... Alshon Jeffery.
  20. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I didn't say that I said I give a ratz azz about the stats prior to Trestman being here.

And as for Earl give him a few more games .

In all honesty I don't care who's i n the pattern on third down or who Cutler's targeting or not targeting ., just so long when he passes the ball to one of them,... they catch the damn ball and get the first down or Touchdown ,... DOn't matter if they had 10 TDs last season or 100 :)

Just get er done ,..
    • Like Like x 1