Where the hell are our other receiving threats?

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Henry Burris, Sep 16, 2013.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    357ß
    BOOMERS in the making ...

its that kind of weird fuuucking shit ...

CHICAGO BEARS WIDE RECEIVERS ...

like ... they just got into the GAMEPLAN.

Give them a few more weeks.
  2. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Guess yo missed the part where he was held out of TC for a concussion

,... AND as a matter fact,... YEAH they did just get into a BRAND NEW GAME PLAN this past summer.
  3. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Yeah, Earl Bennett, if you'll recall, wasn't playing his rookie year, because he couldn't get "the hang of" Ron Turner's offensive system. He missed training camp because of a concussion? So what? Marshall missed a lot of it because he had hip surgery.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,948 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    Marshal was allowed to be at TC though, Earl wasn't allowed to be anywhere near HH or training camp until he was cleared. The best the team could do was call him to see how he was doing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    It doesn't excuse the fact that he's a consistent underachiever. He has been on the field, correct?
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,948 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    Earl's been a consistant under acheiver? what were the expectations of a 3rd round WR that went to the Bears?

His biggest issues have been a lack of ability to stay on the field the last 2 years. But 100 rec's in his first 2 years, in this O, isn't anything disappointing. It's not like he was ever the 1st or 2nd option.
  7. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

Henry quit toying around ,... You're smarter than this. Whats been here the last two years and whats here now are like COLD to now HOT

My reasoning for not putting any stock in his prior stats is that there is a new regime and system in place.

You're going to need to exercise some patience here. If Earl's in the number 3 spot ,... he's there for reason ,.. and I do believe he's a fairly good run blocker as well ??

Methods to madness,.... I believe
    • Like Like x 1
  8. blinddeafmute

blinddeafmute DaBears Ditka

Ratings:
    +1,415 / 4 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    39ß
    How long does someone have to be patient before they can cut ties with a player? It's been long enough with Earl.

Look, I like him and hope he plays well, but he's been mediocre at best (even with shit for receivers over the years) and injury prone on top of that. Now he has some pressure coming up behind him. It's time to shit or get off the pot.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    LOL another that eludes from the TC issues

You too ,.. you're a smarter than this BDM Bears had three guys sitting most of camp Bennet's one of them and well let see who the other two hmm Peppers and Melton ?? YOu guys are comparing apples to oranges here

Like I said if he's the number 3 guy ,.. he's in there for a reason ,..

Why this isn't sitting well with the many of you I'll never know

Are you all that insecure ??

Lovie's gone and I don't think we're going to be seeing draft picks wasting away on the bench any longer

Trestmans a HC in coming here, he's no cheery to league,...nor the game

I trust in what the guy is trying to do here. His mark on this team had to start somewhere and it has shown .. Trying to figure why which player is in or not will frustrate the many

Lets see how Earl does Sunday is all we can do

REMEMBER we're all just fans ;)

well for the most part
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Don't even start sliding in passive-aggressive ad hominem attacks. He's only the number 3 guy because he's got plenty of experience with the team. There's a time when that experience starts to mean nothing, and this season is approaching that point. Besides, the Bears will be in a lot of 2 TE sets this week, because having a 3rd wr, who isn't getting open won't really amount for much.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Again, consistent underachiever because the best production he has had in the league is having 3 td's in one season. There's a point where draft position ceases to matter, and where production does. "It's not like he was ever the 1st or 2nd option", yeah, compared to WR's that simply could never run the right routes and drop easy, open passes. Lack of ability to stay on the field is not an excuse for not producing. Oh, you've had a lot of injuries? Too bad, go play for cleveland. Don't forget there were rumors surfacing of trading him before the season even began.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    • Like Like x 1
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +203 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Good read. Thanks for sharing.
    I think we won't know the whole story until Trestman opens up the playbook as the season progresses. Then we will see just where everybody fits in. Probably at multiple positions.
    :)
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,948 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß

You mean only having the best hands in the league over his first 2 years? That kind of under production? You mean like the primary targets being Forte and Olsen those two years in a horrid O he was supposed to outproduce others?

He doens't have the size or speed to be a #1 or #2 threat, it's not his job. Not everyone on the team needs to have 1K yards and 10+ TD's to help the team win. His job was to be an outlet when the primary guys were covered. And he's done that. No one should have an issue w/Earl's production on the field b/c he's done what he was expected to do in those O's.

Now if you want to say that him being hurt the last two years has hurt the team and therefore a question needs to be asked about his value, then I'll agree w/you there, and if after this year he has another sub 12 game year and really hasn't done anything of note then ya the team will have to look at moving on, but after 2 games where he hasn't seen the field, considering his concussion didn't allow him a chance to be in the meetings, this isn't even close to something to talk about yet.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +317 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    What I took from that article is all the receivers need to be able to play at any line up position. The #1 WR needs to play slot, line up near the OT (almost as a TE), etc. An the other receivers need to be as flexible. It gives the coaches tremendous flexibility in the game plan and play calling. And it gives the opposing defensive coordinator fits in designing coverages.

So I would expect every receiver that Emery and Trestman bring in will have to be tall, physical and with fairly good body control.

Ric, I am not trying to knock his ability or courage. He is willing to go over the middle and get creamed trying to make the catch. He did it time and time again early in his career. He has good hands and a huge heart, when healthy. But, at 6'0" and 180, E Bennett may be nothing more than a niche player in this offense.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,948 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    959ß
    I think it has more to do w/the QB the anything. Cutler perfers tall targets so he can throw the ball up and have them make the play. But also I think it has to do w/the coaches 1 protecting the rookie OL, which they have admitted they are doing, which means the chances of getting deep into the checkdowns is minimal; the addition of Forte into the recieving game, meaning that after Marshal and Bennet, Earl now has Jeffery and Forte in front of him, and the fact that Trestman has said he's trying to keep things simple early to let Jay get into a rythem. All of this means those depth WR's right now are not going to be playing huge roles in the O early on.

To your point DH, I think it might not be a problem where Earl is unwilling, but that the coaches don't want to risk him in some of those middle plays. And right now why should they? He missed all of pre season so he's not as familiar w/the gameplan or playbook as he should be, and he's still trying to get his feet wet in the season. Come week 8-10 other players behind him(Joe Anderson, Marquise Wilson, Weems) are somehow producing at a higher rate, then that's one thing, but right now none of the depth guys are seeing the field other then in the TE position, so it's just idle talk about nothing.
  17. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß

Sometimes stats are worthless. "Having the best hands in the league" is one of those. He's not the best, or even good at: getting open or staying healthy. I'm not buying into "Jay Cutler's fault", because Jay was always throwing to whoever was open, except last year, because Bennett and Jeffery were too busy being injured to make any kind of a difference.
  18. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +647 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    324ß
    It's nice knowing you have a guy like Marquess waiting in the wings when Earl eventually gets injured. Even Anderson is a unknown who could be a diamond in the ruff.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I too have been wondering where Bush has been. We are paying this guy ~ 3 million a year but yet he is used so little. Why is that? I think a cool package would be to see BOTH Forte and Bush in the back field in a short yardage situation. Why you ask? So the Defense doesn't know who will actually get the ball. Or better yet they think Forte could be used on a screen but then give the ball to Bush.
  20. JoeBlow

JoeBlow Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    AND everything is quick drop, dunk to keep the confidence growing for the O line and in Jay toward the O line. Hell, MOST of the time Jays throwing the ball our guys got little to no separation (pass is coming so fast) but outfight the defender for the ball. NO time to get to 4th and 5th reads.
    Those WILL come, in time, with proper play action and 7 step drops with time to let the receivers run. ;)