Whether It's Been Said Or Not Webb's On The Hot Seat...........

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Rookies' play clouds Webb's future

By Brad Biggs Tribune reporter
    3:58 p.m. CDT, August 13, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — Chicago Bears coach Marc Trestman would not commit Tuesday to rookies Kyle Long and Jordan Mills starting on the right side of the offensive line Thursday night against the San Diego Chargers at Soldier Field, but that is certainly possible.

Long, the first-round pick from Oregon, and Mills, the fifth-round pick from Louisiana Tech, have been working with the first team since Sunday. They were running with the starters on Tuesday morning during the final practice of training camp at Olivet Nazarene University that is open to the public.

In the switch, J’Marcus Webb was shifted from the starting right tackle to the No. 2 left tackle, a versatility he needs to have if he is going to be on the team, offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer said. That invited the question of whether Webb could be in jeopardy of losing his job all together.

“He moved to the left side, and he had been working the right side, so it did take him a little time to adjust,” Kromer said. “But if he’s going to be on our team, if he makes our eight, then he’s going to have to play more than one spot, and this is a great opportunity for him to get those reps. You don’t want to have to do it on Wednesday of game week. You want to do it early in the season so he has a feel for what’s going on.

“As we said all along, we’re going to continue to move the guys around up front and find the five guys who most jell together and most fit together. So this week we put Jordan Mills at right tackle and Kyle Long at right guard and we’re looking at that combination. So it’s giving an opportunity for other guys to move to other positions as well with the twos still getting reps, going up against different guys. I think it’s a good situation for everybody.”

Quarterback Jay Cutler weighed in on Webb needing to keep his head up in the process.
    “I think a lot of us have said something to him,” Cutler said. “You don't want to see him fall off and not use his ability the way that we think he can use his ability. He's still in the running for this thing and we'd like to see him go out and rebound and play even better so we'll see how he reacts to it.”

Cutler said he doesn’t have an issue playing behind rookies. Webb was a starting right tackle in 2010 when Cutler was the starter and Cutler was in Denver when the Broncos brought in Ryan Clady as their left tackle.

“The two rookies we got right now, I think they're pretty far along,” Cutler said. “They're really talented guys physically. We'll get them caught up mentally. They want to be in there, they want to do a good job and that's the most important thing. If you've got a guy that wants to do it, we'll figure out a way.”
    bmbiggs@tribune.com

Twitter @BradBiggs
    Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    wasn't that obvious when he got slapped down to backup swing T from starting RT? Reality is they need someone that can play LT and RT, if they can find that guy on the roster(Scott maybe?) then Webb might well be gone, if they cannot Webb is, unfortunately, safe.
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Just an update on what's already been posted and even though Trestman's disclosure was less than the media may have liked I think Cutler's comments are telling if you read between the lines. Especially what I highlighted in red which comes back to the point several of us have been making. Cutler might also have added "keep his head in the game" to "keep his head up" in the process. That's still Webb's biggest problem. It's not that he can't, it's that he doesn't.

I have no doubt the plan was for Webb and Scott to battle for RT with the loser becoming the swing OT and upon further consideration as much as I hate to admit it at least one of them has to stick because we have no other backup at LT if both are cut. Talk about making lemonade when all you have is lemons to work with. :rolleyes: Sheesh!

So now Scott is hurt and Webb, now lacking whatever veteran push Scott may have provided, is back to his old ways somewhat confident in the fact that as long as Scott remains injured his job is safe because there are no more LT's left to play behind Bushrod whose also hurt. Life's a bitch. :(
    • Like Like x 2
  4. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    I wonder this with Webb: although he seems pretty ideally suited to sticking as a swing, I wonder how PREPARED he would be if called upon to fill in for an injured player. That's what a good swing tackle is--somebody who can jump into either role and give you decent play if your starter is out. Although he has the experience, do we really believe that with Webb???

This is a guy who seems to care little about his STARTING role. How much is going to care about being ready to go at either tackle position while riding the bench and collecting his check? Makes you wonder if Webb as the swing T is really that good an idea at all.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    Yeah, Soul, it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that one of the Webb/Scott duo has to stick as a backup LT. Reports I read say that Scott's knee is better post-drainage of his effusion and they hope to have him back next week. There's a glimmer of hope there.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Yep that's the way it's stacking up isn't it. We either get Tweedle Dumb or Tweedle Dumber or maybe both. :eek:

Well at least Mills will get a week and maybe longer to show how far along he is with the blocking scheme and in pass protection. The kid is supposed to be strong as an ox but that does little good if he doesn't know who to block or how to block them. I believe sox is right and that Mills won't be the guy starting come the opener but one of the other two needs to show up ready to play some football and I'm never sure from one week to the next if Webb is.

This is what you call a true dilemma. I'm fed up with Webb and I don't like Scott yet I have to root for one of the two???? Man it's like in Top Gun when the Flight Commander figured out that he had to send Maverick and Goose to the Top Gun School. :(
    • Like Like x 2
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Maybe they should write a Double Cheeseburger Bonus into his contract or offer to sell his Webb Nation T-shirts in the store. Those seem to be the ONLY things he's ever fired up about. Scott has far less natural ability, no make that far, far, far less, but at least he'd probably prepare himself for whatever comes up. I mean ideally you'd want Webb starting, Scott as the swing guy and Mills as the 8th lineman so he gets to practice but won't suit unless there's an injury.

Phil's plan is not working like Phil planned. LOL
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Quick add on about Scott's status.

[​IMG]Chicago Bears Report
    Scott on verge of return after knee drained
    August, 13, 2013
    Aug 13
    4:47
    PM CT
    By Michael C. Wright and Jeff Dickerson | ESPNChicago.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Offensive tackle Jonathan Scott missed practice Tuesday to spend the day with team doctors, but the Chicago Bears received some positive news about his recovery.

Sidelined with knee swelling for a good portion of training camp, Scott is expected to return in the coming days after medical personnel recently drained fluid from the veteran's sore knee and after an exploratory examination found no structural damage.

"It looks like it's gotten better," Bears coach Marc Trestman said. "We should see some movement in the right direction in the next few days and the net week. He was actually with the doctors today. (Head athletic trainer) Chris (Hanks) came over to tell me that, said the results were very good. I didn't get specific with him, but he was positive about Jonathan getting back to us next week."

Scott, a seven-year veteran, has experienced swelling in his knees in the past and missed some time last season, his first with the Bears.

Scott's return will be welcomed considering the team is in the heat of a competition to find its starting right tackle. Incumbent J'Marcus Webb was moved to the second team, where he'll back up Jermon Bushrod at left tackle and rookie Jordan Mills was elevated to the first team on the right side.

Eben Britton.

Bears offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer said Scott's absence gave the team a chance to take long looks at younger players.

"It's the next guy up, and it gives a young guy an opportunity to make the team," Kromer said.

A seventh-year veteran, Scott started in 12 games for the Bears last season, and allowed only one sack. (yeah but you couldn't count the number of pressures he allowed with both hands and your shoes off)
  9. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    How many more reps does Webb need at LT to be considered capable of playing there? He played practically every snap at LT for the past two years. What more does he need to learn about the position that he hasn't already?

My highest hopes for Webb was that he might just put in a non-impressive "meh" year at RT and move on to be a healthy below average tackle for bad teams the rest of his career.. Now it's starting to sound like he wont make the team.

Before the board update, my support has been for Scott to play RT for us. My biggest question about him was that knee of his. The GM has to compare that to Webb's ability to never get injured.

We got two spots for three guys; Webb, Scott, and Britton. Both Britton and Scott are injury risks, but Britton looked pretty bad in that first preseason game. As much as I'd love to just tell Webb to get lost, he might be the best option we have at the swing tackle position. I am reluctant to enter the season with Scott and Britton as the RT /Swing tackle combo if Britton isn't playing better than Webb can.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Scott got brought in sometime in Septtember of 2012. We had him starting at RT for the last third of the season after the SF game. That was no walk in the park schedule, and from my recollection he gave up 14 pressures, which is a lot, but one sack and 6 QB hits. For a backup we just signed off the street at the beginning of the season, I'll take one sack and 6 hits.

To me, his weakness is health related. The question is if you can rely on him to be able to hold up over the season. The trainers can say his knee is so healthy after getting fluid drained from it all day. That just means he's more likely to have to sit out sometime during the season, and then we get to watch a rusty Webb play RT.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    Keeping 8 OLs

Locks to start: Bushrod, Slauson, Garza, Long (told ya)
    Locks to backup: Brown
    Locks to cut: EWilliams
    PS potential only: Lonergan, Boggs
    Fighting for 3 spots (starting RT + 2 reserves): Webb, Mills, Britton, Scott

Webb: swing T or cut
    Scott: swing T, starting RT, or cut
    Britton: starting RT or cut
    Mills: 8th OL or "injury redshirt" (won't survive a year on the PS, will be poached)

That's pretty much how it looks right now. The only wildcard I see is if we can poach some other OL off the waiver wire from a team trying to sneak a young guy onto their PS.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Honestly, I'm so sick and tired of the whole Webb experiment, I'm all for keeping Mills, Scott and Britton; cutting Webb loose and let the chips fall where they may. I think, and always have thought, that even Webb's "strong suit" (athletic ability and run blocking) has been exaggerated since he got here. He's not as quick as some suggest.

Just my opinion.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +345 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Been trying to count the different combinations of who will get cut and who stays in my head all morning at work, but never got the time. Thanks.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    MP, b/c Long gets to work w/the ones for a week he's a lock to start? I'm not saying it's wrong but it's a bit early to declare victory when last week he didn't start w/the 1's once.

He's got to show he won't get owened in the pre season games to have him as a lock to start...or Brown has to show he cannot handle it regardless.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    Ric, I know this pisses you off cuz you didn't like Emery's 2 1st round picks so far (a position I have sympathy for) but they are what we have now so no use crying over spilled milk when it comes to setting this seasons roster. Barring something unforeseen (injury), Long is going to start come September bet on it. Right or wrong, like it or not.

It's in the cards, baked in the cake. No way a 1st round pick is going to ride the bench for a 2nd year udfa who hasn't exactly been blowing it up either.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    I'm leaning that way too, even if it doesn't pan out. I'm hoping Britton performs well when he gets his shot at RT which he very likely will soon (he's RT >> LT) and takes the starting job. We need to keep Mills as the 8th (undressed) to protect him and Scott can man the swing T position with Brown handling swing G.

It's pick your poison here and I think Webb will be even LESS RELIABLE in a pinch if he's riding the bench and collecting a check for doing nothing. If he couldn't be motivated to elevate his game as a starter, he's gonna slack off even more on the pines.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,705 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    675ß
    So your theory is that if Long goes out there tonight, vs the SD's #1 d and gets cutler crushed he's a lock to start the season over Brown? Your positive of this?

if it happens then Emery's a bigger jag then Soul thinks he is. b/c if Long is handed the job b/c of his draft position(btw didn't work for Shea did it) then it's at the detriment of Cutler and the teams ability to properly judge Cutler.

I have no problem w/Long earning it, I have no problem w/being wrong about the pick, but to be handed a job b/c "it was in the cards" then it's a poor businesss decision.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,089 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    116ß
    A) I completely disagree that Long is going to go out there and totally crap the bed. He WILL be rusty, make mistakes, etc. but his leash is much longer than someone like Webb's is for instance.
    B) Shea didn't "start" because he didn't have to. We had Pep + Izz + Wooton last year and out DL is always a rotation. The OL isn't generally.
    C) If we had two other kickass guards already in place it would be a very different story. We don't. We have one serviceable vet (Slauson) and two rookies/quasi-rookies fighting for the other job.
    D) I'm talking about reality here, Ric. Brown, and I do like the guy for the future for us, is only a small-school udfa with a few pinch starts under his belt. It's not like Long would be supplanting some proven, experienced vet "just because he's a 1st rounder". The "tie" is going to go to Long because his ceiling is higher and he needs PT. That's just the reality of it. Brown would have to CLEARLY BEAT Long to win the job outright and there's zero sign of that.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  19. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    51ß
    Just so you know, I think they play tomorrow night bruh. Makes no diff, I just didn't want you sitting on the couch for hours trying to find the game and end up jumping off your roof in a fit of unbridled rage. :confused:
    • Like Like x 3
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,732 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,279ß
    Those are my fears as well which is why I'm hoping Mills is a quick study. The kid seems to have the right tools for RT but as raw as he is do you go with him and hope he improves enough as time goes by to not get your QB killed. If he "gets it" we may have a good RT before very long.

Webb never has "gotten it" and sometimes I think the only reason he's remained healthy is that he never extends or exerts himself enough to get injured to begin with. I wasn't always this down on the guy but when you come to camp for the 4th time and you've practically been gifted your position because either your main competition has been traded away or what's left is a rookie and two never were vets and you still blow it then I'm done with him. He's been given every chance and then some to square his game up and he just doesn't seem to care enough to do it.

Scott is an injury risk and certainly no great shakes himself. The lack of sacks doesn't make up for 20 pressures and hits in half a season but unfortunately he's the only one left whose actually had NFL game experience at LT. Britten already proved he's not the guy so what's left? Playing Webb or Scott and hoping it works out is like throwing pennies in a wishing well and hoping you win the lottery only the odds of winning the lottery may be slightly better.

If it's gonna be that bad I'd rather it be that bad with someone who has a future as opposed to those who have none.
    • Like Like x 1